Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Opinions Please...1200 Bandits

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Just this last weekend I went for a ride with a friend I hadn't seen in a while. He has a Bandit and loves it. Compared to the Hornet the bandit is now $1000 cheaper, similar horsepower, somewhat more torque, and less tank range, and it seems one less gear.

Wouldn't worry too much about the older generation liking it, the Brit bike mags generally refer to it as a hooligan bike.

If you get one, do learn two-finger braking. The brakes on current bikes might be a lot more effective than what you were used to....
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    na, broken!
    Thanks folks!

Appreciate your input, I think it has underpinned my choice in going the bandit way, except...
    LB, you mentioned a Ducati. Always thought hmmm exotic therfore expensive to own & run ie parts? Is this the case cause there seems to be a drop in prices with all the import bikes?
    pritch008, thanks for the tip. 2 finger braking eh, now there's a another use for 2 fingers other than bloody motorist @ roundabouts!

Memorable experiences in far gone days were of the comradiere (sp?) that biking bought & I'm certainly "feeling the (mad) love" here so once again thanks. I can see wasted hours spent here in the forums sounding knowledgable & dishing shit!

Cheers Mark

Bike
    'o6 Spewzooki Banned it.
    Great bike. I've got a K2 with airbox mods and dynojet kit, Ohlins rear and traxxion fork springs. It's got more than enough grunt to stay with sprotbikes in the twisty's, only loses out over 180 - 200 k's. But you don't have to wring it's neck to travel quickly, 'cos it's got TORQUES, the things that let you haul nearly 200 kg's of rider, pillion and luggage without wearing out your boots dancing on the shift lever.
    The savings don't stop with the purchase price either, all maintenance can be done yourself at home. Valves have adjusters not shims, everything else is easy-peasey to get at.
    I like 'em enough to get a noo one.
    Speed doesn't kill people.
    Stupidity kills people.

Bike
    '02 ZX6R
    Quote Originally Posted by mstriumph
    but i'm not keen on the 'middle-aged' image being portrayed here
    [ok - mebbe i am but i like to think i don't RIDE like that ]
    sooooo is it something a reasonable rider could improve riding? or is it a dead end? am i gonna be overtaken by stationary pushbikes? are small children gonna point at me and laff??
    FWIW my first bike after not riding for about 20 years was a ZZR1100. One test ride and I was hooked. The power!!!! Woo hoo!!!! A couple of months later I sold it. Gave myself a helluva of a fright on it. If you're coming back to riding after a long break or stepping up from a small-bore bike I think there are some risks associated with stepping into a hard out sport bike like an R1 or GSXR1000 or even their mid-weight siblings. The Kwaka 636 makes 120hp plus and only weighs what a 250 used to. Comes down to what your riding aptitude and experience is (mine's not that great, I am forced to admit, having done a few track days now and realised how slow I am) and also equally importantly what kind of riding you're planning. If you want to go touring, or do the odd track day, or just tootle around with the missus on the weekend, or have a quick fang in the countryside, you can choose your weapon accordingly. The Bandit does all those things well, not excellently, but well. If your budget stretches to it there are a vast range of choices but bang for buck the big air-oil cooled Suzukis are great value. As Linda said, you could consider a GS1200ss as well (or a GSX1200Y)and unless you're a really skilled rider I doubt you'll find their limits. My 2 cents.
    Kerry

Bike
    2007 Triumph Speedmaster
    Quite awsome for a naked bike and dont let youself be fooled by the prices;Suzuki and their dealers dont rob you blind like some others we want mention,as for the bike ,Went out cruising with My son on his Firestorm and my Haya and the boys mate on his Bandit,doing 220 on a certain stretch and when the bandito came along side sitting on his rear wheel,Got it.

Bike
    na, broken!
    Quite awsome for a naked bike and dont let youself be fooled by the prices;Suzuki and their dealers dont rob you blind like some others we want mention,as for the bike ,Went out cruising with My son on his Firestorm and my Haya and the boys mate on his Bandit,doing 220 on a certain stretch and when the bandito came along side sitting on his rear wheel,Got it.

...very cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Kerry
    Yeh, the tension between going high end or aiming round the mid range. Not having the mates around now that used to provoke you to leave your brains at home & go for a scream to Palmy for an ice-cream will help!
    Old age (43) and I hate to say it, wisdom has got the better of me!

Bike
    2005 FZS1000 "Tasha"
    thanks guys - will ride it an keep everyone posted

can't say that i've ever been wise though
    ... ...

Grass wedges its way between the closest blocks of marble and it brings them down. This power of feeble life which can creep in anywhere is greater than that of the mighty behind their cannons....... - Honore de Balzac

Bike
    03 Ducati M800Si.e. 04 Ducati M1000Si.e.
    Quote Originally Posted by Whole Shabang
    Thanks folks!

Appreciate your input, I think it has underpinned my choice in going the bandit way, except...
    LB, you mentioned a Ducati. Always thought hmmm exotic therfore expensive to own & run ie parts? Is this the case cause there seems to be a drop in prices with all the import bikes?

Cheers Mark
    I was just shit stirring really.....you're probably better off with a Bandit, unless you really want a Duc.

Being frustrated is disagreeable.

But the real disasters in life begin when you get what you want.

Bike
    2000 Suzuki GSX1200Y

Blah S'mine now!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hailwood
    Hi and welcome to the madness that is KB. I was in a similar position to you several months ago in trying to find something to upgrade to. Rode a Blackbird (fast and comfy..possibly too fast for me), ZRX1100..not my liking, XJR1300 quite nice and comfy and a 2000 GSX1220Y which I ended up buying from TSS in Alicetown. I understand it has the same engine as the Bandit and is a great bike to ride...enough torque to make life a breeze and comfy with a pillion...go and ride everything you can find and then make a decision. Good position to be in too having to ride all sorts of bikes before you decide on one...enjoy..
    Heh heh, the bike's mine now and it goes just nicely thank you. Err, the ignition is really finicky though. Sometimes takes a bit of prolonged wiggling to get the key to turn. What did you do?

Bike
    18 Street Triple RS, 18 Aprilia Tuono RR
    Had a 96 Bandit when they first came out...Awesome 2 up wheely bike!

Used to carry kitchen sink 2 up to rallies.

Never missed a beat. The pillion liked rear seat. Pulled like a Catholic school boy from 1500 revs.

Downside....chassis/suspension although new models have been improved. Is a tourer/sport though so can't expect everthing. They are a heap of fun!

Downside 2...seemed very hungry on fuel.

Still miss that bike at times.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwisfly
    Old age (43) and I hate to say it, wisdom has got the better of me!
    43 IS NOT OLD AGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!! And as for wisdom were do you find that? .

Bike
    TL1000S , XB12R
    Buy an SV 1000 S , at $12,500 they are great value and in a different century to the Bandit. You will thank me in time.
    Oh yeah dont worry about the riding position , you will get used to it , I am 40ish + and the TL's fine
    Dave

Bike
    Had a 2007 Suzuki C50T Boulevard
    For what it's worth,the GS1200ss has 2mm smaller carbs which makes it particularly economical, but with a pipe, esp. a full Yoshi system it gets about 120hp and of course you derestrict the speedlimiter as it's a Japanese domestic model... Only complaints I've heard are from testers that the screen can induce a bit of buffeting at certain speeds.
    You don't get to be an old dog without learning a few tricks.
    Shorai Powersports batteries are very trick!

Bike
    2001 Yamaha FAZER 600S
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie
    tail-end 2002 models). It could be that Suzuki are trying to flick them off before a new model is released ??
    Jimmie`s right,just had a new model here,like the 650 Bandit it`s more a case of a few tweaks rather than a major overhaul with ABS as standard on the S(faired)models.New fairing is way better-looking than past efforts

http://www.suzuki-gb.co.uk/model.asp?id=106

Dont know where the "middle-aged" bit came from,they`ve traditionally been popular with guys here who like plenty of grunt but dont want a sports bike,and by the way the average age of bikers here is knocking on for 39 though kids are getting interested again.Bloody good bikes,usual rot problems in the U.K. but pretty much irrelavent in N.Z. If having the latest is a big deal to you hang on for the new model,me I`d pile in and get myself a good deal.

Thread Information