Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: When things go bad flat tracking...

Bike
    raptor 1000
    yea one of the trailbike guys ate a fence

Bike
    06 scrambler,xrl,
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Motu View Post

Flattrack is the closest for of motorcycle racing there is -
    Add Speedway sidecars to that also mate.
    My leathers often would wear the obvious fr wheel marks of the chair behind us.
    Unwritten law was you could use the swinger in front of you as a rolling bollard if you went in too hot in a corner.
    Bernie Koppe smacked me so hard one night that I ended up with my pretty left hand....................

Them were the days
    First to the bar, last to leave

Bike
    would have hate to been riding this CR500 when it split : http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/793914-2-stroke-500s/

Quote Originally Posted by tri boy View Post
    Add Speedway sidecars to that also mate.
    Are sidecars motorcycles?...? Oh yeah, but speedway sidecars is brutal, it's a contact sport. But I can go up to Rosebank once a month and get up close and personal with speedway sidecars, flattrack is something we can only read about or watch on film clips. There was some 1/4 mile short track and a few 1/2 miles in NZ, but there has never been a Mile over here. I keep thinking what a waste the infield is at Puke, they only use horses on it - I'd love to see an XR750 tear it to shreds.
    In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Bike
    400 Husqvarna vmx
    [QUOTE=wharfy;1130504725] I would have loved to go and watch the Sacramento Mile - it was often the deciding event in who got to wear the N1 plate - I believe it is no longer run /QUOTE]

AMA are till running at Sacramento, also Springfield.

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Ultimate flat track race would have been Kenny Roberts on the TZ750 "you can't pay me enough to ride that thing"
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    Ducati's, Huskie's and Kawasaki's
    I keep thinking what a waste the infield is at Puke, they only use horses on it - I'd love to see an XR750 tear it to shreds.[/QUOTE]

What a great idea..
    "That's rooted!! What's next??"

Bike
    less than I used to have
    ...there are not that many XR750's around the planet, only about 650 ever built...what about an RS 750 Honda...they were beating the XR's quite consistently...not a lot of them around either...the XS 650 Yamaha did quite well too...King Kenny said it all when he threw the TZ back at them...some things just shouldn't be used for the game...

An RS750 recently sold on ebay for US$24,000.
    In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Bike
    03 Hornet 900, 08 Daytona 675 race bike
    Quote Originally Posted by GD66 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wharfy View Post
    I would have loved to go and watch the Sacramento Mile - it was often the deciding event in who got to wear the N1 plate - I believe it is no longer run

AMA are till running at Sacramento, also Springfield.
    Indeed they are ! - well I'm not dead yet so I might get to see one

http://www.sacramentoflattrack.com/index-sac1.php
    "You never understood that it ain't no good, you shouldn't let other people get your kicks for you" - Bob Dylan

Bike
    less than I used to have
    ...my son digitalised this from VHS...film quality not too hot, but we were having fun on a slippery speedway track... this was Sunset Speedway, Westport, cant remember when, early to mid 90's I think...our arch rivals, team Crazy Horse who rode Brit stuff, ex yank Triumph Specials and BSA Hornets etc were our main competition...only one on a Triumph was there that day...my team rode Yamahas in the main...the young fellows were on 175 to 200cc stuff that we built for them...beautiful times...

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by Motu View Post
    Are sidecars motorcycles?...? Oh yeah, but speedway sidecars is brutal, it's a contact sport. But I can go up to Rosebank once a month and get up close and personal with speedway sidecars, flattrack is something we can only read about or watch on film clips. There was some 1/4 mile short track and a few 1/2 miles in NZ, but there has never been a Mile over here. I keep thinking what a waste the infield is at Puke, they only use horses on it - I'd love to see an XR750 tear it to shreds.
    Never been a mile here ? The US miles are horse tracks, our equivalent was mile grass tracks. Last one run i know of was in North canty in the late 70's. Saw New Brighton run twice incl Bob Coleman's world record run. Probably more skill required on grass than the US clay based surfaces.
    There's a long history of mile and half mile grass tracks here. The old man made good money on the Canterbury tracks pre WW2...
    As proven at Addington in ChCh a couple of times, Forbury park and Ascot park, Invercargill, the all weather trotting tracks make a good race surface...

Bike
    I just lost count
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    ......As proven at Addington in ChCh a couple of times, Forbury park and Ascot park, Invercargill, the all weather trotting tracks make a good race surface...
    I remember in the early 90's going along to speedway in Hamilton at the Claudelands Trotting track. No idea how long that track would have been, 1/2 mile? Not sure if it was a regular thing either.

For the record Qkkid was in my bed, not the other way round

Quote Originally Posted by Yow Ling View Post
    Pumba is a wise man.

Bike
    less than I used to have
    The first time we got to use the track I had made at Little River. My good friend Wayne Bermingham, RIP, filmed this but it remained on VHS until very recently when I had it digitalised. Good fun days had by all, down there. I never got to ride though and that fucked me off, but somebody had to be the man with the clipboard and loud voice. I got to play on it on my own or when just a couple or three of us could get down there and play and not fuck with the very gracious locals too much

Bike
    06 scrambler,xrl,
    Blog Entries
    Awsome vid man
    loled at the pushbike sidecars

Thread Information