Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Honda ST1100 thread

Bike
    CRF250L Rally

Honda ST1100 thread

So... I have a new bike . Sold my BMW and found this Honda ST1100 that's high mileage (160000km) but in great condition - really well maintained and looked after - and managed to come out with a bit of change that I'm trying to use for finishing off a spot under the house to park bikes.

I must say it has exceeded my expectations . It's great fit for me and gets really good economy for a big touring bike (6.6 litres per 100km or 50mpg). That gives a range of around 500km if you squeeze it!! It goes like stink (in a smooth refined way of course) and is easy to handle for a big girl .

So I thought I'd start a thread for any other ST owners or prospects to share their thoughts and experiences. There are heaps of resources out there but I haven't found a lot of stuff locally. Any other Pan owners out there?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2355.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	804.2 KB 
ID:	279231   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2317.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	796.1 KB 
ID:	279232  

Bike
    Suzuki DR Diesel
    How many penny's for a 14 year old Honda done 160,000kms.

Bike
    R1150RT
    Blog Entries
    I can see the anchor in the 2nd pic but someone seems to have stolen your boat. lol. Nice bike.

Bike
    CRF250L Rally
    Quote Originally Posted by 307a View Post
    How many penny's for a 14 year old Honda done 160,000kms.
    Cheapest bike I ever bought - also I think the best - paid $3100 for her but she needed new tyres and steering head bearing replaced. Also came with spare screen, spare forks, Haynes manual plus lots of other bits. Plus has just had the cam belt done. If I hadn't read the speedo I would have guessed about 60,000km. My thinking is that a bike that has a good service history and constant use is a much better bet than an older bike with lower mileage that's been sitting around. Especially ST's that have a great reputation for longevity. But we'll see I guess... I've already done close to 3000km on her in three weeks.

Bike
    CRF250L Rally
    Quote Originally Posted by Bald Eagle View Post
    I can see the anchor in the 2nd pic but someone seems to have stolen your boat. lol. Nice bike.
    Haha - she's no anchor when you wind her up...

Bike
    Suzuki DR Diesel
    Quote Originally Posted by CRM View Post
    Cheapest bike I ever bought - also I think the best - paid $3100 for her but she needed new tyres and steering head bearing replaced. Also came with spare screen, spare forks, Haynes manual plus lots of other bits. Plus has just had the cam belt done. If I hadn't read the speedo I would have guessed about 60,000km. My thinking is that a bike that has a good service history and constant use is a much better bet than an older bike with lower mileage that's been sitting around. Especially ST's that have a great reputation for longevity. But we'll see I guess... I've already done close to 3000km on her in three weeks.
    That's an ok price. Well done.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Haha - she's no anchor when you wind her up...
    It looks like a touring screen has been fitted to it. 160,000 isn't high ... 250,000 is high.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    MT09 Tracer
    .................WAITING FOR Hinny.................
    Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow aren’t just the 4 cycles of an engine

Bike
    CRF250L Rally
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    It looks like a touring screen has been fitted to it. 160,000 isn't high ... 250,000 is high.
    Yeah its a touring screen all right - I thought it was a joke when I first rode it - no way I can use this - but 3000km later I like it . It's good for keeping a straight back . Ideally it needs about 30mm taken off the top to be just right for me - one of these days. Great for protection against the wind and bugs. I can ride with my visor up at virtually any speed. Can get a little warm in the still air though but mighty nice most of the time

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Yeah its a touring screen all right - I thought it was a joke when I first rode it - no way I can use this - but 3000km later I like it . It's good for keeping a straight back . Ideally it needs about 30mm taken off the top to be just right for me - one of these days. Great for protection against the wind and bugs. I can ride with my visor up at virtually any speed. Can get a little warm in the still air though but mighty nice most of the time
    I have followed one around most of the south island (often at speed). You will need to keep the screen clean ... otherwise you may not see too much going into/out of ... the sun on some occasions.

I gather the "Spare" screen was the original fitted one. You might want to try it on some time, you will (unless you are a short person) be able to see over it. With the tall screen ... long distance will be a pleasure. (as will the CLEAN visor)

Bike
    CRF250L Rally
    I have followed one around most of the south island (often at speed). You will need to keep the screen clean ... otherwise you may not see too much going into/out of ... the sun on some occasions.

I gather the "Spare" screen was the original fitted one. You might want to try it on some time, you will (unless you are a short person) be able to see over it. With the tall screen ... long distance will be a pleasure. (as will the CLEAN visor)
    Yeah the spare is the original but its been cut down. I put it on and tried it out but it is a little low for me and let too much air over for serious touring. I can see over the tall one (just) but probably should cut it down just a little... and maybe remove the black edging also. I really like the screen otherwise - best touring comfort I've experienced. I did Wellington to Whangarei in 10 hours including stops and it was great.

The seat is the only thing that could be improved - it's a little firm and high in the middle for me . Otherwise the ergonomics are spot on. It has Honda OEM heated grips fitted but not working for some reason - I'll be wanting those going over the winter.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    I did Wellington to Whangarei in 10 hours including stops and it was great.

The seat is the only thing that could be improved - it's a little firm and high in the middle for me . Otherwise the ergonomics are spot on. It has Honda OEM heated grips fitted but not working for some reason - I'll be wanting those going over the winter.
    Take the seat to an upholsterer. It wont take much to sort that out. Then get a sheepskin.

Heated grips needed in Whangarei .. ???

Bike
    CRF250L Rally
    Take the seat to an upholsterer. It wont take much to sort that out. Then get a sheepskin.

Heated grips needed in Whangarei .. ???
    I usually get on the bike in Whangarei and get off somewhere significantly south - nothing wrong with being comfortable

Yeah I think the upholsterer idea could be worth a try.

Bike
    GL1800

Shafty calling

Love my RIDER seat from Mac at www.trimit.co.nz
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	782.4 KB 
ID:	279256  
    "If you haven't grown up by the time you turn 50, you don't have to!"

Bike
    Not many... If any...
    Quote Originally Posted by shafty View Post
    Love my RIDER seat from Mac at www.trimit.co.nz
    Prices start @ $500+ GST. Hmmmm. Rather expensive but if they are of a high quality..... Guess anything custom & 1 off is gonna require some shelling out!

Thread Information