Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on looking where you want to go

Bike
    KTM 1290 Adv R
    Quote Originally Posted by R-Soul View Post
    And by leaning in, it also straightens the link between your oustide foot and your inside hand, making it more rigid, and longer,and allowing more force through your legs.
    You're aware that the opposite is regarded as correct technique on dirt bikes?

Not so much lean out as put the bike down and sit on it.

And teh geometry isn't the reason.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    2010 Honda CB1000R Predator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Deano View Post
    Subconscious is still human brain....don't your comments contradict each other ?

As a racer, I don't believe that I am not in total control of my bike. That would only be negative and could cost me tenths of seconds.

The only target I am fixating on is 1st place.
    Negative. The subconscious and conscious parts of the brain are quite different. They don't even share the same memory centres. For example, the conscious brain can't recall a memory from the sub-conscious brain.

Here is an example question. Tell me how you swallow, in detail. A simple question, do you suck the fluid in or let gravity allow it to flow into your mouth? Most people have to mimic swallowing before they can answer, because swallowing is done by the subconscious section of the brain - and the conscious brain can't access that memory - and can only observe what the subconscious does.

An expert rider *must* use their subconscious brain for machine control.

Bike
    Repsol Blade & SV pro twin
    Quote Originally Posted by p.dath View Post
    Negative. The subconscious and conscious parts of the brain are quite different. They don't even share the same memory centres. For example, the conscious brain can't recall a memory from the sub-conscious brain.

Here is an example question. Tell me how you swallow, in detail. A simple question, do you suck the fluid in or let gravity allow it to flow into your mouth? Most people have to mimic swallowing before they can answer, because swallowing is done by the subconscious section of the brain - and the conscious brain can't access that memory - and can only observe what the subconscious does.

An expert rider *must* use their subconscious brain for machine control.
    Like repetitive training and reflex/instinct. The mind can control things that most people cannot comprehend, or understand.

I can remember swallowing my last mouthful of beer, or taking a shit this morning....

I prefer to think that I am in control, consciously or subconsciously.

But I am a bit of a control freak. I'm quite happy to push a bike to its limits but not bungy or skydive.
    Visit the team here - teambentley

Thanks to my sponsors : The Station Sports Cafe and Bar | TSS Red Baron | Zany Zeus | Continental | The Office Relocation Company | Fine Signs | Stokes Valley Collision Repair | CBWD Digital Media Inbound Marketing

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Quote Originally Posted by R-Soul View Post
    Yeees... besides the obvious stuff why lookig is important, like not hitting shit, or because you would be blind with your eyes closed....

I am talking in the context of a sudden unexpected thing happening, like a log coming out from under the car in frint of you, or the corner tightening up suddenly. Why is looking up the road into the tightening corner so important? I think its to get your body positioning and reach and leverage right for a harder turn.
    The corner tightening up suddenly? Dunno about up your way, but down here the roads don't move. And the cars aren't tall enough to clear a log either!

Looking up the road is about more to do with what you can see by doing so, and how this affects the subconscious movements, than giving you super strength or leverage. Go into a car park and try to navigate a turn looking 5m ahead, then again looking 10m ahead, then finally looking right through it; the line you take will be a lot smoother on the last one.
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    KTM 1290 Adv R
    Like repetitive training and reflex/instinct. The mind can control things that most people cannot comprehend, or understand.
    Yeah, but whereas your concious mind can juggle abstract concepts and predict consequences (with a few clues) your subconcious can't. The only way you can imporve your subconcious riding performance, (almost all of the motor functions to start with) is to practice. With enough practice you can program your subconcious reactions to match the practice routines your concious logic knows are "correct".

See if you can get your hands on a copy of "The Upper Half of the Motorcycle". The word. From possibly the most qualified man on the planet.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocean1 View Post
    The only way you can imporve your subconcious riding performance, (almost all of the motor functions to start with) is to practice. With enough practice you can program your subconcious reactions to match the practice routines your concious logic knows are "correct".

See if you can get your hands on a copy of "The Upper Half of the Motorcycle". The word. From possibly the most qualified man on the planet.
    Isn't that what I meant re reflexes and actions becoming instinctive?

I'll look up that reference - was it written by Mick, Mike, Ago or Vale ?

Thanks to my sponsors : The Station Sports Cafe and Bar | TSS Red Baron | Zany Zeus | Continental | The Office Relocation Company | Fine Signs | Stokes Valley Collision Repair | CBWD Digital Media Inbound Marketing

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by p.dath View Post
    For example, the conscious brain can't recall a memory from the sub-conscious brain.

Here is an example question. Tell me how you swallow, in detail. A simple question, do you suck the fluid in or let gravity allow it to flow into your mouth?
    I bet you tell that to all the girls you fucking deviat.

Bike
    KTM 1290 Adv R
    Isn't that what I meant re reflexes and actions becoming instinctive?

I'll look up that reference - was it written by Mick, Mike, Ago or Vale ?
    Probably. I havn't practiced Deano anywhere near enough to say. Guess I was just asserting that the two are distinctly different, one able to be imporved through abstract study, the other only through repeated "imprinting".

Bernt Spiegel. Popular German book, translated tortuously into English. Hard work but bloody interesting. http://www.amazon.com/Upper-Half-Mot.../dp/1884313752

Bike
    Probably. I havn't practiced Deano anywhere near enough to say.
    Come for a play on TRTNR sometime mate - it's been great fun lately. Good opportunity to test the practice and reflexes. LOL Be good to meet you in person too.

Bike
    KTM 1290 Adv R
    Come for a play on TRTNR sometime mate - it's been great fun lately. Good opportunity to test the practice and reflexes. LOL Be good to meet you in person too.
    You'd have had to spot me a pint on the 1125 mate, on the Uly you'd be on the way back before I blew the foam off.

Bike
    Triple Delight
    I think almost all control inputs either are or become subconcious, and that's why looking where you want to go works whether you want it to or not, it sort of instructs your subconcious to go there irrespective of what your concious mind wants.
    Having experienced the look where you want to go, or friggen end up in the culvert moment, I can hand on heart say that...

Looking where you go, you normally do without thinking about it.

If you make a bad call, or have a brain fart, deliberately looking where you want to go, can, and does save your arse!

Being aware of where you look, you go, in my opinion, is one of the best lessons you can learn on 2 wheels
    Quote Originally Posted by Gubb View Post
    Nonono,

He rides the Leprachhaun at the end of the Rainbow. Usually goes by the name Anne McMommus

Bike
    KTM 1290 Adv R
    Quote Originally Posted by Mom View Post
    Being aware of where you look, you go, in my opinion, is one of the best lessons you can learn on 2 wheels
    Aye. It's a lesson I've had to learn many times. You think you've got it sussed, looking through and beyond that greasy log you're flying along at mach III; and you just flick your eyes to check that rock off to the side, there...

Bike
    2023 Honda NC750X
    Blog Entries
    Looking where I wanted to go got me through some challenging (for me) corners today with nothing worse than a scraped boot - I would say focussing on that gave my subconscious room to make the necessary adjustments.

What I worry about most is having to react quickly (and appropriately) to an obstacle, like when a ute I was behind drifted completely over to the other side of the road at one stage (and if I'd been coming the other way).

Bike
    Big red vibrator
    With out question, practising looking where you want to go pays off, the sub consciousness (Fuk spelling) takes over, martial arts are all about repetition. I remember an 8m log at night on a left hand corner between Taupo and Rotorua, one end on the centre line reflected in the headlight, something inside tells me to flick right, my brother follows me, thank god, the other end is in the left hand ditch. Practice makes perfect.

Bike
    1997 Honda VTR1000F Firestorm
    Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    The corner tightening up suddenly? Dunno about up your way, but down here the roads don't move. And the cars aren't tall enough to clear a log either!

Looking up the road is about more to do with what you can see by doing so, and how this affects the subconscious movements, than giving you super strength or leverage. Go into a car park and try to navigate a turn looking 5m ahead, then again looking 10m ahead, then finally looking right through it; the line you take will be a lot smoother on the last one.
    Never gheard that language before? A corner tightens up when it has decreasing radius and you cannot see the entire corner at tey start. hence 'tightening up'.

And yes, cars do clear logs in NZ. The log that smashed both of my rims came out from under a car on the harbour bridge. Thats was definitely no 'plank'!
    The one thing man learns from history is that man does not learn from history
    Calvin and Hobbes: The surest sign of intelligent life out there is that it has not tried to contact us.
    Its easier to apologise than ask for permission.
    Wise words:
    Quote Originally Posted by quickbuck View Post
    It could be that I have one years experience repeated 33 times!

Thread Information