Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: How to keep up on a small bike

Bike
    2014 Honda CBR500R ABS

How to keep up on a small bike

Hey all

Mods wasn't sure if this was ok to go here or New members speak so move if you need to.

Not trying to upset anyone with this thread just want to point out some info that should be commonsense but obviously isn't.

Lately ive been riding with a mix of riders from Learners on little bikes to Learners (my uncle) on bigger bikes as well as people who have been riding longer then I have been alive

Yes I have come off before both from my own stupidity and from other peoples

Yes I have had oh shit moments since I got back into riding but because I have been asking questions and working out what to do if something happens I have been ok (touch wood)

I don't like getting into bad situations and tbh if I do then Im not riding correctly in the first place

If anyone wants to comment go for it I am willing to admit when I am wrong

Everyone has different confort zones and different bikes

The main thing I always do on a new bike is work out how quick it can stop ie go to a quiet road and get upto 10-20km then try stop then increase the speed

I also find out what each brake will do

Small bikes you have to rev they have no power otherwise you need to be in higher revs so you dont bog down don't be afraid to take it towards redline if you have to ( I went over the wairapa with my uncle he was on a 750 ducati and well I was on redline in 5th alot I kept up)

Lean into corners take correct lines and untill you hit your pegs (or the ground) you can go further (this has saved me before)

Don't hesitate if you decide to do something do it, if you hesitate and then go your probably going to get taken out

If you get scared don't lock the brakes

DON"T PANIC

umm will think of more latter

Thoughts comments?

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    My advice.
    Ride at a comfortable pace for you, bugger what the group is doing.

Getting involved with the whole "must catch bigger bikes" is fun, but too easy for new riders (even experienced ones) to cock it up by being adrenaline fueled spastics.

True story. I never bother hunting down other riders if it involves me pushing my limits
    Maybe I'm just too much of a pussy, but my tyres will last longer (that's a lie, I eat tyres) in theory and I won't lowside under a truck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Alloy, stainless and Ti polishing.
    Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    I think the expression "ride at your own pace" sums it up.

Whether a n00b or an experienced rider, playing catch up can lead to all sorts of butt puckering trouble. The biggest issue is spending to much time watching the rider in front & not enough time watching the road.

Good riding buddies will not encourage you to exceed your ability.

Any hoo. Why try to keep up? First to the pie shop has to buy the pies. Scouts honor!

How fast is red line in 5th on your steed?
    Manopausal.

Bike
    08 CB1300,99 BMW F650
    I am assuming everyone has been through roadsafe and passed the coarse to get their learners, so that's a good start.

I think people also need to know when to ask for help, ego's on a bike will just get you killed and ruin your and your families day.

I think you are right though, some people need more help than others, maybe road safe is not enough for some people, they need something more between the coarse and passing their learners to getting on the road and riding and possibly becoming a statistic.

this is a good thread to start imho.

I wonder if there is something we can do to help, like take people who need extra care to a parking lot and give them the attention the help they need, I dont mean me personally (although I am willing to help in anyway I can, I mean people with much more experience then me)

Riding is largely about confidence, and commonsense. if you don't have the confidence you riding will be shit, and shit will get you hurt or worse.

Confidence can be helped with experience, learning the bike and what you can and cant do and need help on and knowing when to lose the ego and admit you need help and to ask for it.

if I can be of any help I am happy too.

thats my 2 cents

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    I concur Drdarkmatter. Combining ongoing training & mentoring with time on the road leads to a happy, safe rider. Your never too old to learn either.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    2014 Honda CBR500R ABS
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    I think the expression "ride at your own pace" sums it up.
    How fast is red line in 5th on your steed?
    Now that would be telling lets just say it was over the speedlimit alittle

The main thing im trying to point out is that you should be able to go at a safe pace

Id be happy if everyone could do the speedlimit comfortablly and be able to recognize hazards

Some oh shit handling skills would be nice as well

Bike
    08 CB1300,99 BMW F650
    I think pace and speed is one thing, confidence and being aware of your surroundings and most importantly being able to do all this little things you need to do on a bike simutaniously is something completely different, lets forget about speed and pace fora minute.

lets work on basics,

multitasking: turning, balance,foot position, body positon, headcheck, turn signal (ON and OFF) looking where you want to go, being aware of traffic, being aware of hazards and obstacles all these things take attention and its takes time to master, we as more experienced riders take it for granted, we do it automatically.

this is not the case some some people I fear, and as we all know people learn and take things in at different levels and speed.

one person might take a week to get used to something new and make it a habit, another person might take a month.

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragon View Post
    Now that would be telling lets just say it was over the speedlimit alittle
    Indicated 150 if memory serves correctly
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    08 CB1300,99 BMW F650
    Ok screw it..............

we are all dancing around it,

I will say it.........

I think that GDOBSSOR needs help before she gets hurt, fuck it, there I said it.

so lets help her, lets move on to suggestions for her and get her the help she needs.

Bike
    2014 Honda CBR500R ABS
    I was passing at the time

Anyway back on topic haha

You can't be in LALA land if you want to be a good safe rider/driver

Bike
    08 CB1300,99 BMW F650
    where is a good safe parking or open paved area we can use?

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDarkMatter View Post
    where is a good safe parking or open paved area we can use?
    Waitarere beach at low tide?

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    Quote Originally Posted by Maha View Post
    Waitarere beach at low tide?
    It's even legal to drive/ride down there

Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Quote Originally Posted by ducatilover View Post
    It's even legal to drive/ride down there
    Thought it always was?...I remember as a kid, all the vehicles parked up along the beach at low tide at Foxton/Himatangi etc...this was the late 60's early 70's though...
    Ninty mile beach is the same, hard packed sand, personally, I would take a road bike on the sand but thats just me.

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDarkMatter View Post
    I think pace and speed is one thing...
    Nup. Two different things.
    And before you can go fast, you must first go slow. Learn pace riding (set a reasonable speed and try to maintain it), be smooth with accelerating and gear changing, read the road conditions as far ahead as is practical/possible and adjust speed through throttle control and road position to setup corner lines. Brakes are for stopping/emergencies.
    Get the above right and then you are in a better position to up the pace a little. A little. Do not try to keep up with better riders. Perhaps ask them to keep you in their mirror/s so they keep to your speed.
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Thread Information