Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 03 650 Dakar maintenance

Bike
    none at this present moment
    I'm meant to work Sat form 5pm, but hoping to get that changed to Sunday so I can go out on Sat. But it don't really matter which day really.
    When does the rainbow road and Molesworth close?

I'm not to worried about my riding ability when it comes to difficulty of a track, I took my DR incredible places with the worst back tire you could imagine, and I've ridden heaps off road on my Gasgas EC300.

I've notice on the KLR the gearbox is pretty clunky, worse than my DR was, I assume that's normal?
    And first gear feels pretty low too.

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    Molesworth is already closed due to the fire risk.
    Rainbow is due to close Easter Monday but is also closed this Saturday for a cycle race.
    Was just suggesting the easier and closer ride is usually a good idea to get acquainted with the new to you bike.
    www.remotemoto.com - a serious site for serious ADV riders, the ultimate resource in the making.
    Check out my videos on Youtube including... the 2011 Dusty Butt 1K - Awakino Challenge and others.

Bike
    91 R80GS
    You will find the KLR to be the best bike you will ever own. Clunky is a subjective term. My airhead is very clunky.
    Check out klr650.net for all the business about them but don't get sucked into the chicken little panic that seems to recirculate there. The Doo is the most important thing to check if it has been done. If it has no worries but if you're unsure it will pay to check it out. It is the counter balancer adjustment doo hickey. The spring sometimes goes slack & the old pre 07 models had a quite thin doo that could break- the later ones are quite substantial.
    I think there is still a KLR therad around here if you do a search.
    In life as in dance Grace glides on blistered feet

Bike
    What is the doo?
    Excuse my ignorance.

Its had a veiw mods from the last owner like a fork stabilizer clamp thing, and oilier and a bigger front brake.

That's a shame those rides are closed, I'll have to wait till summer.

Oh and thanks for the advice transalper, the bike will probably take me a little bit to get used to, the riding position feels a bit foreign, but I'm loving the shelter from the wind compared to the DR.
    The lees valley will probably be a good first ride and it's not that far away so that's a bonus.
    Turns out I have to work Sat night, but if a group is heading out and it will fit in with me, I'd be keen to get to know some people, this town/city is foreign to me and I haven't done any substantial adventure riding, so some tips might come in handy.

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Doohickey - unofficial name for the balancer shaft drive chain tensioner lever. Gen I KLRs had a doo that was not as robust as it could be, when it broke results could be bad - bits end up in the cam chain, cam chain jumps the sprockets, valves meet piston = serious carnage.
    Kawasaki redesigned it for the gen IIs so it's better, but still not perfect. Plus Gen IIs have doo spring issues.
    See here - http://www.klr650.marknet.us/doohickey.html

You can inspect it by removing the engine left side cover, if you need to replace it then the alterator rotor needs to come off. I have the removal tools if you need them.
    Not a big job but certainly one worth doing. EagleMike http://www.eagle-m-e.com/ sells a replacement doo that is far superior to the kawasaki Gen 1 part, and probably better than the gen II part as well
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    Oh yea I get you.

The previous owner has already done that mod, which is great, means I don't have to do it.

Used the bike to commute today, was great in traffic.
    I'm beginning to like this bike.

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    Quote Originally Posted by Beetroot View Post
    That's a shame those rides are closed, I'll have to wait till summer.....
    Turns out I have to work Sat night, but if a group is heading out and it will fit in with me.....
    You still have two weeks up until Easter Monday to do the Rainbow in season after the cycle race is done this weekend, plenty of other stuff around the place to fill in time though.
    Nothing happening this weekend by the looks, guys I was hooking up Lees Valley with have family stuff so I'm likely doing single track with another at the Waimak this weekend instead.
    www.remotemoto.com - a serious site for serious ADV riders, the ultimate resource in the making.
    Check out my videos on Youtube including... the 2011 Dusty Butt 1K - Awakino Challenge and others.

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    'Looking for Christchurch Adv Rides' thread has kicked in to life again, Lees Valley next Sunday (24th March 2012)

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    There is also a "KLR riders out there" thread you may be interested in
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Thread Information