Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: CBTA Competency Based Training and Assessment

Bike
    2015 R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Is the CBTA going to be compulsory for all riders, or only those wanting to cut their time on Restricted?

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    The government have never demonstrated a desire to have more competent road users, that I have ever seen.

Getting angry thinking about it all to tell the truth. Not productive. Carry on all, seeya.

Bike
    2005 Honda CB900F Hornet
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyC View Post
    Is the CBTA going to be compulsory for all riders, or only those wanting to cut their time on Restricted?
    I believe it is going to be optional. Not only will it cut time on the restricted but it will also mean the practical test will not need to be sat for the full licence.

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    From what Tricia has said, it is just to shorten the restricted licence term.

Bike
    Nothing :(
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by f2dz View Post
    I'll be keen to volunteer if that's at all how it works. Won't have a bike again til the end of the month probably though.
    Ditto, I'm not getting my restricted until second week of June though, presuming I pass..
    Becoming fearless isn't the point. That's impossible. It's learning how to control your fear, and how to be free from it.

Bike
    Geriatric Kwakas + dragqueen hyperscoot
    Quote Originally Posted by Maha View Post
    Avoiding such a group mid corner is not for the faint hearted.

Example in the extreme but, point was, the term used by the cop in my view, is rediculous.
    If you ride with that in mind (suicidal killer butteflies aside) the tension build up must get to a level whereby, the time on your bike is spent caring what is going to happen next.
    erm, I ALWAYS care what is happening next

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Any passenger tries to 'steer' my bike, is getting the fuck off and walking!

What a bloody stupid thing to teach.
    I've been known to stop and tell a pillion to "stop riding my bike or get off and f***en walk"
    feralconnection Ltd
    Leather lettering and seat rebuilds
    Gear alterations and repairs
    PM me and lets talk
    !

Bike
    Between bikes
    NZTA website says it'll waive the requirement to sit the practical test.

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/licence/gett...cles/cbta.html

I imagine that it shouldn't be an auto-pass, given the name (assessing competency).

Perhaps CBTA is, long-term, designed as a replacement for the restricted/full practical tests. Introducing it as an 'alternative path' means they can always bin it if it doesn't work out, perhaps? Otherwise surely they'd just redesign the licence practicals.

In any case Tricia, I am on my L's, if you are considering 'recruits' (?) down south, I would be a willing guinea pig.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    The NZTA web site states ...

Presentation of a stage one CBTA certificate by a learner licence holder applying for a restricted licence will:

waive the need to complete the learner licence six month minimum time period
    waive the need to sit and pass a practical test at the agent
    waive the need to pay the restricted practical test fee.

Presentation of a stage two CBTA certificate by a restricted licence holder applying for a full licence will:

reduce the minimum age from 18 years to 17½ years
    reduce the restricted licence minimum time period from 18 to 12 months
    waive the need to sit and pass a practical test at the agent
    waive the need to pay the full practical test fee.

Note: The regulated restricted or full licence application fee will still apply
    So to date ... the CBTA is intended as a two (test) stage testing regime. The first stage done at the learner stage. The second stage on the restricted.

The practical licence test costs will be waived ... but the CBTA will still need paid for. As will application fees for learner/restricted licences. And of course those (CBTA) costs cant be stated until the course contents/duration are decided.

And all policy ... as stated ... are subject to any changes NZTA might choose to make and put in legislation.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    2005, Yamaha FZ1
    A pre test lesson would greatly increase your chances of passing.. Just saying.
    Not had any failures yet.

Tricia1000
    RoADA (Dip)
    Consultant to NZTA

Quote Originally Posted by bosslady View Post
    Ditto, I'm not getting my restricted until second week of June though, presuming I pass..
    Remember, that GOOD QUALITY TRAINING stays with you forever. It doesn't get sold with your bike, or expire with your rego. It stays with you FOREVER..

It's not the message that is DELIVERED, but the message that is RECEIVED that is important.

Bike
    Nothing :(
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricia1000 View Post
    A pre test lesson would greatly increase your chances of passing.. Just saying.
    Not had any failures yet.

Tricia1000
    RoADA (Dip)
    Consultant to NZTA
    I already have one arranged with Chris Smith.
    Becoming fearless isn't the point. That's impossible. It's learning how to control your fear, and how to be free from it.

Bike
    2015 R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    It would make a lot more sense if it was compulsory wouldn't it? By all accounts of what I've heard and read, the Full License test is much less involved than the Restricted. If (and I highlight the 'if') the CBTA is deemed too hard by some, they may just wait out the extra 6 months and graduate to Full the easier way.

The BHS test I sat is\was a joke. Ride around some static cones in a car park, never get over 30kmph, stop here, ride through here really slowly, and then off you go into peak hour traffic. It's nuts. If the powers that be are indeed wanting to up skill motorcyclists before they get their Full, there should be some compulsory training in there somewhere.

Bike
    2005, Yamaha FZ1
    Basic Handling Skills changed last November. It is much harder now.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqpT2...e6MUA&index=52

I agree the previous BHS didn't prepare riders for the road.

Tricia1000
    RoADA (Dip)
    Consultant to NZTA
    It would make a lot more sense if it was compulsory wouldn't it? By all accounts of what I've heard and read, the Full License test is much less involved than the Restricted. If (and I highlight the 'if') the CBTA is deemed too hard by some, they may just wait out the extra 6 months and graduate to Full the easier way.

The BHS test I sat is\was a joke. Ride around some static cones in a car park, never get over 30kmph, stop here, ride through here really slowly, and then off you go into peak hour traffic. It's nuts. If the powers that be are indeed wanting to up skill motorcyclists before they get their Full, there should be some compulsory training in there somewhere.
    Remember, that GOOD QUALITY TRAINING stays with you forever. It doesn't get sold with your bike, or expire with your rego. It stays with you FOREVER..

It's not the message that is DELIVERED, but the message that is RECEIVED that is important.

Bike
    2005, Yamaha FZ1
    Terrific.
    Is he a new instructor?? Haven't heard of him before?
    Where does he operate from?

Tricia1000
    RoADA (Dip)
    Consultant to NZTA

Quote Originally Posted by bosslady View Post
    I already have one arranged with Chris Smith.

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricia1000 View Post
    Terrific.
    Is he a new instructor?? Haven't heard of him before?
    Where does he operate from?

Tricia1000
    RoADA (Dip)
    Consultant to NZTA
    How do you know it's terrific? The dude you've never heard of might be hopeless.

Hehehe, it's way more fun to just be a dick.

Bike
    2005, Yamaha FZ1
    You could be quite right!! and there are some out there.
    However, I prefer to give him the benefit of the doubt.... If he's new, everyone has to start as a new Instructor sometime.
    The real point is that Bosslady is organising a pretest lesson for herself, which will hopefully increase her chances of passing her test.

Tricia1000
    RoADA (Dip)
    Consultant to NZTA

How do you know it's terrific? The dude you've never heard of might be hopeless.

Hehehe, it's way more fun to just be a dick.

Thread Information