Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CBTA Competency Based Training and Assessment

Bike
    2005, Yamaha FZ1

CBTA Competency Based Training and Assessment

Work has begun on the new Competency Based Assessment. This will be the route to take if you wish to reduce the time you spend on each of your learner and restricted licence stages. Keep posted for more news,

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/licence/gett...cles/cbta.html

Tricia1000
    RoADA (Dip)
    Consultant to NZTA
    Remember, that GOOD QUALITY TRAINING stays with you forever. It doesn't get sold with your bike, or expire with your rego. It stays with you FOREVER..

It's not the message that is DELIVERED, but the message that is RECEIVED that is important.

Bike
    None any more
    It's good to see this course being resurrected. The CBTA course 10 years ago is how Mrs H and I managed to get to full licenses in less than a year.
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    Austrian and Italian
    Ditto, I did my restricted to full this way. Thought it was a much more thorough way of evaluating riding competency.

Bike
    2008 S40 Boulevard
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    Ditto, I did my restricted to full this way. Thought it was a much more thorough way of evaluating riding competency.
    What did this course used to entail? How long was it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Connolly
    "The question is not, How far do we have to go?..............The question is, Do you have the constitution to go as far as is needed?".

Bike
    None any more
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkfish View Post
    What did this course used to entail? How long was it?
    Two full day workshops -- one for each of the restricted and full license steps. These involved defensive driving and roadcraft theory; supervised skills training, mostly low to moderate speed stuff in a controlled space; on-road sessions, both observational and participatory, fully supervised.

I learned heaps. I always come to a complete stop with the bike in first gear. Road lines are just as quick for the average rider as are race lines, not to mention way safer. As a pillion I know how to steer the bike.

Training was provided by Andrew Templeton.

Highly recommended.
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    '03 FXD
    If our acc money goes toward something like this I consider it money well spent.
    Never too old to Rock n Roll.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I've got miserly tourettes and I don't give a fuck.

Bike
    2005, Yamaha FZ1
    I don't know if ACC will be subsidising this course, or not.

Tricia1000
    RoADA (Dip)
    Consultant to NZTA

Quote Originally Posted by MIXONE View Post
    If our acc money goes toward something like this I consider it money well spent.
    Remember, that GOOD QUALITY TRAINING stays with you forever. It doesn't get sold with your bike, or expire with your rego. It stays with you FOREVER..

It's not the message that is DELIVERED, but the message that is RECEIVED that is important.

Bike
    2006 Hyosung GT650R

Cool

This doesn't seem to do anything at all, except get newbies on large cc bikes quicker, and to stimulate the motorcycle training industry.

Sure, everyone wants to get off their learner bike onto something with some balls, but is it good for the rider? I happen to think time consolidating on a smaller bike will result in a better rider overall. There is also the matter of the newbie wanting to misbehave on it, which is going to happen for most riders - better get this out of their system over time instead of putting them on a weapon too early.

I'm not persuaded.
    "I am a licenced motorcycle instructor, I agree with dangerousbastard, no point in repeating what he said."
    "read what Steve says. He's right."
    "What Steve said pretty much summed it up."
    "I did axactly as you said and it worked...!!"
    "Wow, Great advise there DB."
    WTB: Hyosung bikes or going or not.

Bike
    Austrian and Italian
    Be not persuaded then.

What happens in reality is that the rider receives much more hands on attention in their learning, and a whole lot of skills they're not otherwise taught at all in the standard GDLS. They're also observed by instructors more closely and for longer than a standard licence test.
    It means a shit rider will get picked up on, yet a confident safe rider will get through.

Bike
    2008 S40 Boulevard
    Quote Originally Posted by CookMySock View Post
    This doesn't seem to do anything at all, except get newbies on large cc bikes quicker, and to stimulate the motorcycle training industry.

Sure, everyone wants to get off their learner bike onto something with some balls, but is it good for the rider? I happen to think time consolidating on a smaller bike will result in a better rider overall. There is also the matter of the newbie wanting to misbehave on it, which is going to happen for most riders - better get this out of their system over time instead of putting them on a weapon too early.

I'm not persuaded.
    With LAMS and the Introduction of this Course:

A: you can already ride up to a 650. - wont change.
    B: It only reduces the time on restricted from 18 months down to 12. - only a 6 month reduction.

I disagree with you. 6 months might only equate to a couple of thousand K's for alot of riders, would you learn as much on your lonesome in those 6 months, as on the Course?

Personally I cant wait for the introduction of this programme.
    "The question is not, How far do we have to go?..............The question is, Do you have the constitution to go as far as is needed?".

Bike
    bandit
    Courses are always good - even after 39 years of riding I learn something from every course I go on ...
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    2014 Honda CBR500R ABS
    With LAMS and the Introduction of this Course:

A: you can already ride up to a 650. - wont change.
    B: It only reduces the time on restricted from 18 months down to 12. - only a 6 month reduction.

I disagree with you. 6 months might only equate to a couple of thousand K's for alot of riders, would you learn as much on your lonesome in those 6 months, as on the Course?

Personally I cant wait for the introduction of this programme.
    I do 550km a week atm can easily clear 1000kms if I go out on the weekend

so 2200kms a month is 13200kms over 6months

I also ride in rush hour traffic and it doesnt matter if its dark or wet/windy etc I still ride

I will be going on one of these asap (once they are avilable) and while I can understand why new riders/drivers need time to learn skills etc

Some people learn faster as well as clock up more hours/kms

Tbh I would find it interesting if I went and sat both tests and passed without having sat on my licence for the correct time period

Bike
    None any more
    Quote Originally Posted by CookMySock View Post
    I disagree. While saddle time is a good way of learning how to ride a motorcycle, repetitive short rides (like commuting and weekend cafe crawling) doesn't really teach people much. Unless they're committed to doing big rides in most imaginable conditions, then a commuter is just a commuter. Slow speed courses teach heaps, as does having one's general riding competence critiqued by a teaching professional.

Bike
    2008 S40 Boulevard
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragon View Post
    I do 550km a week atm can easily clear 1000kms if I go out on the weekend

so 2200kms a month is 13200kms over 6months

I also ride in rush hour traffic and it doesnt matter if its dark or wet/windy etc I still ride

I will be going on one of these asap (once they are avilable) and while I can understand why new riders/drivers need time to learn skills etc

Some people learn faster as well as clock up more hours/kms
    Yeah I agree, If your doing that many K's maybe you would figure it out by your self in 6months. I was just pointing out the merits of the course Vs the time you actually get reduced.

Bike
    2014 Honda CBR500R ABS
    Yeah I agree, If your doing that many K's maybe you would figure it out by your self in 6months. I was just pointing out the merits of the course Vs the time you actually get reduced.
    Oh I do see your point and I'm willing to go on any course to help me either by giving me extra skills or to point out bad habits

The main issue I have with the time based licencing system is that not everybody gains expirence and skill at the same rate

Also once you do pass your full you are expected to be competent enough to ride anything and also take pillions with no previous experience with the extra weight

Personaly I would like to see a week course/test that if you pass gives you your full licence and involves rider training on bigger bikes as well as pillion riding etc and you have to pass a test on the larger bike to show that you can handle any bike which your full licence allows you to, this test should include tracks that have hazards on them ie diesal or ice on corners wet and dry conditions etc etc

Things that show you can confidently ride

If that makes sense

Also alot of males (not all) will go out and buy something grunty as hell after being stuck on a lams bike thats underpowered/heavy because theyve been fustrated for so long they will get a girl they want to impress on the back and just thrash the hell out of it.

Tbh you can do the same amount of damage coming off a 1000cc at 100-120km as you can on a 250cc also alot of the lams bikes are heavier then most of the sports bikes out

I get the reasoning about the power and acceration being to much for a learner to handle but theres this thing called a throttle and if you dont open it all the way by using some common sense then its not really an issue is it?

Whats worse pushing a lams bike to its limit because you want to go fast (alot of people do) or having a 1000cc bike that can comfortablly go along at most speeds that you would safely be doing on the road

Also wouldnt a 1000cc sports bike be safer then a smaller bike if you are breaking the law?

This is a touchy subject with me and there is sides for and against

But I am all for these courses

Thread Information