Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Shoei GT Air - avoid

Bike
    Honda of course
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    I know, the shop said they'd never heard of anyone with the same night vision problem, but there's even a sticker on the pinlock that says 'day time use only'. Maybe newer models are somehow different? Either way, I experienced halos and stars around bright lights, and a higher propensity to be blinded by on coming headlights and it made my 3 hour cross country night time trip a pain in the butt a couple of weekends ago.

Good idea, I'll check if I can adjust the visor. Will update thread if I can fix the whistling or the wind noise.
    There is an adjustment issue with these helmets, contact the shop where you bought it and arrange to have this attended to, the distributor is sending out instructions and a service visor to their dealers to rectify this issue.

Bike
    The Black Pearl
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Botany Honda View Post
    There is an adjustment issue with these helmets, contact the shop where you bought it and arrange to have this attended to, the distributor is sending out instructions and a service visor to their dealers to rectify this issue.
    That's good news. I've been thinking for a while that my next purchase will be a Qwest.
    Keep on chooglin'

Bike
    Austrian and Italian
    Quote Originally Posted by Botany Honda View Post
    Thanks for the input. Good to know

Bike
    K1300R
    Quote Originally Posted by yod View Post
    Been looking at a Qwest myself, (I'm a fan of the Bloodflow), certainly nice and comfy at the shop, whats the wind noise like?
    I picked up a qwest to replace my Raid II, and to be honest its noisy, No quieter than my old raid which to be fair had the whisper kit attached, Its the wind buffeting right below my ears. Other than noise though its super.
    Whats he building in there??

Bike
    2013 ZX14R SE
    Quote Originally Posted by yod View Post
    Been looking at a Qwest myself, (I'm a fan of the Bloodflow), certainly nice and comfy at the shop, whats the wind noise like?
    I'd seriously consider the GT Air, that'll be my first helmet to look at when I come to replace the Arai, if its not that it'll be another Arai. I say this about the GT Air because I thought they'd be nearly a grand if not more when I first saw them given the spec level but the plain colours are around the $600 mark I think which I believe is awesome value.

Bike
    Aprilia RSV1000R
    Just ordered mine this morning...great features for a very decent price.
    'He's a simple man, with a heart of gold in a complicated land...' Working Class Man - Jimmy Barnes

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by Laava View Post
    I have two shoeis with the pinlocks and do a fair bit of night riding with no probs whatsoever. Something doesn,t sound right with your setup
    there is some clear film on a pinlock which you dont need to remove to install. The difference with the film on and off is quite astonishing. DAMHIK

I'm still rocking a RAID II, and like it. Has the whisper kit. I always use earplugs anyways
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    K1300R
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    there is some clear film on a pinlock which you dont need to remove to install. The difference with the film on and off is quite astonishing. DAMHIK

I'm still rocking a RAID II, and like it. Has the whisper kit. I always use earplugs anyways
    Got the whisper kit on my raid ii, Do you have cauliflower ears yet??
    Whats he building in there??

Bike
    RSV
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    I recently replaced my much loved Shoei XR-1000 that had reached an untimely end of life through a crash. I chose the Shoei GT air as a replacement because I thought the flip down sun shade was pretty choice and the fit was much the same as my old helmet.

Good points:
    Fits very well and is very comfy
    Has a sun shade

Bad points:
    This helmet doesn't block enough wind noise. Basically ear plugs are mandatory if you plan on going more than about 70 or 80.
    Helmet makes a high pitch whistling noise at almost any speed above 40 kph
    Visor fogs up incredibly easily if the pin lock isn't installed.
    Sun shade isn't as good as a tinted visor or as good as sunnies.

In conclusion, if you want a new Shoei like I do, don't get this one. I love the sun visor, and the fit and comfort, but the noise is terrible. And a tip for new players - if you put a pin lock in your visor, be prepared for compromised peripheral vision and dangerously poor night vision.

Ps I ride two bikes, one is naked, one is fully faired, the noise cancellation and whistling is equally bad on each bike...
    How'd you get on with a solution?

I see Hampton Honda are running a special and I'd be keen on taking one off their hands
    Quote Originally Posted by Soul Daddy
    I got a good half hour with him in the Yamaha tent at Laguna in 2005. No one knew who he was until someone in the tent yelled "who here has the most wins?" and everyone pointed at Rossi, and Rossi pointed at Ago standing next to me.

Bike
    R100GSPD
    my raid 2 is quite noisy,i think its actually my screen which causes it.If i cover the joint between the visor and helmet at the bottom horizontal part with my hand that whistling noise(if the wind is about 3 4 head on) goes away.Gonna see if i can snug the visor down a wee bit tighter when you crank the little lever up

Bike
    Speed Triple 1050, '89 Spada
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Shoeis don't fit my head.

Arai (ouch!) and HJC's are perfect.

I've never worn a helmet that was quiet - always wear ear plugs. Probably accounts for my hearing loss - too many kms under a helmet.
    I'm the same
    Arai and shoei dont fit.

If you are an HJC head, then try a Schuberth - c3. Very similar shape and the chin guard eliminates wind turbulence in the helmet
    Quote Originally Posted by FlangMaster
    I had a strange dream myself. You know that game some folk play on the streets where they toss coins at the wall and what not? In my dream they were tossing my semi hardened stool at the wall. I shit you not.

Bike
    YZF-R6
    Quote Originally Posted by cc rider View Post
    I've not had a full-face with internal sun shade so would be good to get opinions on other brands with similar set up.
    e.g. Shark, HJC
    I have a LS2 384 iron and have used it for about a year/25000k and find it to be pretty good, reasonably quiet, good internal visor but it does tend to fog pretty easy and does funny things with airflow over 200ks (not that I'd ride that fast on the road)

Sent from my XT535 using Tapatalk 2

Bike
    97-CBR1100xx-VTRSP2-CBR600
    I found this type of helmet great especially this time of year
    Steel and Bullets
    <! !>

Bike
    Between bikes
    I found the GT Air to be a different fit to the Qwest. GT Air was much 'narrower'. So I wouldn't rule em out just cos you're not a 'Shoei fit'

Bike
    my little pony
    The GT Air has a narrower opening than previous Shoei helmets (this helps with its quietness apparently), but the skull sizing is suppose to be the same.
    I found the GT Air sizing quite tight compared to my current shoei, but OK. I am waiting to try the next size up before buying either, but a GT air it will be, hopefully this week.

Thread Information