Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Shoei GT Air - avoid

Bike
    BMW r1200r
    I previously had a Shoei xr1000 med, and changed to a Shoei GT air med, again the fit was perfect in med for both models.
    The Shoei GT was so comfy compared to the old helmet, with new nicer lining, and the snug fit around the neck which should cut back on some noise..though i always wear earplugs anyway.
    I really noticed how the helmet had alot of room out front of my chin compared to old where I felt my nose and face was alot closer to the shield.
    I like the idea of a built in sun visor instead of carrying a extra tinted shield around with me, plus the pinlock shield is much bigger on this sheild compared to my old helment where the pinlock edge seemed to position itself right where I was wanted to see out on the style of bike I own.

I've now travelled with the Shoei GT air for approx 5000kms and the helmet is still very comfortable and the two personal bug bears I have with this helmet are... I find it noisey ..even with ear plugs which could be due to the shield on my naked style bike, or the air vent ontop of the helmet, i only say this becasue if I tip my head slightly forward when riding the noise is reduced.
    The other is the sun visor, I find when using it and the clear shield together objects in the distance are less clear. It could be the gap between the drop down visor and the clear shield causes distortion. When using the clear shield only visibility is fine. So although I like the idea of the drop down visor I don't like comprising visiblity. I may consider buying a tinted shield in the future for this helmet.
    Just remember... "wherever you go, there you are" .....Buckaroo Banzai 1984

Bike
    2018 Triump Street Triple 765 rs
    I'm on my 3rd Shoei and i have found them brilliant.
    1st one was a cheap version and I can't remember what model it was but it had a good fit and didn't seem noisy.
    This prompted me to buy another.
    2nd one was a $900 job and i think it was a XR1100. Used this one on my race bike and it was great also.
    I now have a Xpirit 11 and would have to say this one is the best of the lot.
    I even tried one of those Carbon Fibre Bell helmets before i brought this one, thinking it would have to be the bees knees, but alas it didn't fit at all well so went back to Shoei.
    No noise to speak of, light, good venting and nice fit.
    It does have a very slight leak in the screen if it rains heavy but have since adjusted that out.
    Over all i have to say i would buy again any time. In fact i probably wouldn't change brands now.
    Had a look at the GT air and thought it wasn't a bad looking helmet to be fair.
    Trumpydom!

Bike
    A tinted (external) visor is not available for the GT Air in Australia. Would be interested to know if one becomes available in NZ.

Bike
    KTM rc390 / z50r / K100sf / Yam DT200WR
    Quote Originally Posted by cc rider View Post
    A tinted (external) visor is not available for the GT Air in Australia. Would be interested to know if one becomes available in NZ.
    Tinted external visor is not available for the GT Air anywhere in the world...
    The flip-down sun shade does away with the necessity for a tinted visor

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by peril 787b View Post
    Tinted external visor is not available for the GT Air anywhere in the world...
    The flip-down sun shade does away with the necessity for a tinted visor
    Well it can reduce the need for a full tint.

I was just replying to monkeymcbean.

cheers

Bike
    Between bikes
    My Scorpion came with two visors (clear and light smoke) and a dark smoke is available too. It has a drop-down sunvisor

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Well if a Shoei wont do you can have a Yohe.....

http://www.cnell.com/?cms_do=sale&sa...&product_id=30

Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    Your mom
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    Bad points:
    This helmet doesn't block enough wind noise. Basically ear plugs are mandatory if you plan on going more than about 70 or 80.

Visor fogs up incredibly easily if the pin lock isn't installed.
    Sun shade isn't as good as a tinted visor or as good as sunnies.
    Ear plugs are cheap off Trademe. Buy a few pairs and find what fits your ears the best.

Visor fogging up is easy to fix. There are several products to help with that.

Fuck tinted visors, just use sunnies instead. It's easier to just take your sunnies off than to carry a spare visor and swap it over once it gets dark out.

Bike
    Repsol something or other
    Would prefer tints over sunnies, personally. I had the orange Di def visor on my Raid 2, I highly recommend, but it wont handle really bright sunlight like a dark tint can.

Recently bought a Shoei Qwest. Quietiest helmet in their range, amazing fit, doesnt have the silly internal sunnies, and more room for intercom. A++ would trade again.

Bike
    Whatever is in the garage - FXDC, Bking
    Blog Entries
    Going off personal experience, never buy a helmet for the internal sun shade - its a gimick and to be honest a sharp blade to cut through your nose if you ever had an off...

Still disappoints the hell out of me when I see riders out there on really nice machines but they buy 'el cheapo' helmets. Cripes you only get one brain!

www.Ridertraining.co.nz
    NZTA Approved CBTA Instructor Assessor
    - Restricted + Full Licence Training & Testing
    - Onroad Coaching & Training
    Auckland
    Call or Txt 0210334766
    info@ridertraining.co.nz

Bike
    2013 Suzuki Inazuma

I like my Shoei GT Air

I've had my Shoei GT Air for 6 months and I think it is great for my needs. I just commute in Auckland and go for weekend rides, so it suits me well. Things I like about the helmet are:
    *Sun shield (beats wearing sunnies under your lid)
    *Comfort (but make sure you get the right size - a little tight and break it in!)
    *Looks and feels like a quality product.
    *Pretty quiet helmet (saying that, I still wear plugs if I hit the motorway or go on the open road).

Dislike:
    *Price is a bit steep (but I suppose your paying for both the quality and the name).

Overall I would recommend this helmet

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Qkchk View Post
    Going off personal experience, never buy a helmet for the internal sun shade - its a gimick and to be honest a sharp blade to cut through your nose if you ever had an off...

Still disappoints the hell out of me when I see riders out there on really nice machines but they buy 'el cheapo' helmets. Cripes you only get one brain!
    Agreed on the sun visor. I wont get another one like it. I got a HJC RHPA10 and love it. Light, very well vented and a great price if you can deal with having last years colour.

Bike
    2014 Uuki gw250 with yoshi exhaust :)

if your head can move around in the helmet so that the sun visor can hit you in the face in an impact its either a fatal impact of the helmets waaaay too large! I have an Acerbis Helmet that has a visor and it sits an inch away from my face, if that manages to collect ur face there is something very wrong!

Bike
    Whatever is in the garage - FXDC, Bking
    Blog Entries

Shoei GT Air - avoid

It's going a bit off topic but I got a Schuberth C3 Pro the other day - it leaves all other Helmets I've owned for dead! Extremely quiet and awesome aerodynamics...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

www.Ridertraining.co.nz
    NZTA Approved CBTA Instructor Assessor
    - Restricted + Full Licence Training & Testing
    - Onroad Coaching & Training
    Auckland
    Call or Txt 0210334766
    info@ridertraining.co.nz

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    Going off personal experience, never buy a helmet for the internal sun shade...
    It's going a bit off topic but I got a Schuberth C3 Pro the other day - it leaves all other Helmets I've owned for dead! Extremely quiet and awesome aerodynamics...
    Just had a look and seems they have an internal sun visor, you reckon this one is ok?
    www.remotemoto.com - a serious site for serious ADV riders, the ultimate resource in the making.
    Check out my videos on Youtube including... the 2011 Dusty Butt 1K - Awakino Challenge and others.

Thread Information