Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Shoei GT Air - avoid

Bike
    2020 BMW R1250R and 2011 C182T
    I think that it would be pretty hard to buy a helmet now without an internal sun visor, unless it was a real cheap one

Just love my Shoei Neotec!

Bike
    88 Yamaha FZR250
    Quote Originally Posted by Pogo2 View Post
    I think that it would be pretty hard to buy a helmet now without an internal sun visor, unless it was a real cheap one

Just love my Shoei Neotec!
    load of rubbish, plenty of topline helmets without internal visor, Bell helmets etc

Bike
    MT-10
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    Meh, like you said, everyone's probably got a different shaped head etc, so up to you if you want to take my advice or not. However, it's a much noisier helmet than my previous shoei, and I now have to go to the trouble of wearing earplugs for every ride, whereas I would previously not bother for say, popping down to the supermarket. Also, to your point about the air inside the helmet, I find that with the sun shade down and the front vent open (ie most likely what I'll do most days in summer) there's plenty of wind blowing directly into my eyes. Not the end of the world, but not ideal on a $700+ helmet.

So if I had to buy a new helmet again now, no way I'd get this one again. Other people can make their own minds up of course, and no doubt plenty of people out there will find it great. Good for them.
    Im having this exact problem on my Shoei GT Air. Wind is blasting directly into my right eye even with the chin vent closed. Couldnt ride for a few days my right eye was so sore and itchy. Eye drops fixed my eye now but still not sure what to do about the helmet. I'll put the chin guard back and see if that stops wind turbulence. Anyone else having wind issues with their GT Air?

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Jin View Post
    Im having this exact problem on my Shoei GT Air. Wind is blasting directly into my right eye even with the chin vent closed. Couldnt ride for a few days my right eye was so sore and itchy. Eye drops fixed my eye now but still not sure what to do about the helmet. I'll put the chin guard back and see if that stops wind turbulence. Anyone else having wind issues with their GT Air?
    Only above 200. I now use a hrc rpha 10 for track.

I see you can get smoke visors for them now.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    2015 Aprilia Shiver
    Quote Originally Posted by Jin View Post
    I have the same problem with my Neotec. The chin guard largely solves the problem by reducing air moving up across my face, but this makes it more difficult to close the chin piece. My previous Multitec had neither problem.

Bike
    MT-10
    Yeah chin guard has stopped a lot of the wind and the whistling. There is still a bit of wind which is going up my nose which is annoying but I can live with it.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Got a Smoke visor for it today. Brilliant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    MT-10
    Whats the benefit of a smoke visor?

Bike
    It was on the good
    It's like wearing sunglasses to reduce the glare without having to faff around with sunglasses.

Bike
    And they taste better.

Bike
    '08 Wee
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazz View Post
    And they taste better.
    Only if they are Manuka smoked. Fuck that hickory stuff from the states.

Bike
    2016 Yamaha FZ6R
    Haven't had a lot of experience with helmets but I like the fit and features of my Shoei GT Air, front vent, vent at top and an exhaust vent at the rear. Quite loud with the top vent open and a slight whistle at speed if the front vent is open but i've found this quite good when riding at night, keeps me alert.

Always wear ear plugs on the open road, i have found that most of the noise comes from air coming underneath the helmet, if you put your hand/glove around your neck under the helmet you will notice most of the noise stops.

Bike
    2015 Honda CBR650F
    There's a guy on Trademe selling compatible (non Shoei) tinted visors for the GT Air for half the price of the genuine ones.

Also, is my hearing already fcked or is there no difference to noise levels no matter which way I sent my top front and rear vents?

Bike
    R1200GSA
    Noise levels are also a factor of your bike and you, is the bike faired or not? Is there a screen or not? Is the screen the right "fit" for you or not? A helmet/bike combination will work for one person but not another. I am not aerodynamic, some people are.
    I have a GT Air, its light and very comfortable and the build quality is far superior to the Caberg I used before that. I have just changed bikes and the noise levels have changed dramatically (for the better), still wearing the same helmet!
    Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but how many times you have your breath taken away

Bike
    Buell XB12X Ulysses
    Blog Entries
    I have had a GT Air for a year and half now and haven't had any problems with whistling noises and its fits pretty well.

My only complaint is that the air flow could be better. In summer heat you really feel it as not enough air comes over the top, as the scoop is large but the actual hole the air goes in is pretty small. When that happens I ride with the visor up and the tinted shield down which seems to do okay.
    "Atomic batteries to power...turbines to speed..."
    - Page 14 of the Buell Owners Manual

Thread Information