Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shoei GT Air - avoid

Bike
    V four and Thumper

Shoei GT Air - avoid

I recently replaced my much loved Shoei XR-1000 that had reached an untimely end of life through a crash. I chose the Shoei GT air as a replacement because I thought the flip down sun shade was pretty choice and the fit was much the same as my old helmet.

Good points:
    Fits very well and is very comfy
    Has a sun shade

Bad points:
    This helmet doesn't block enough wind noise. Basically ear plugs are mandatory if you plan on going more than about 70 or 80.
    Helmet makes a high pitch whistling noise at almost any speed above 40 kph
    Visor fogs up incredibly easily if the pin lock isn't installed.
    Sun shade isn't as good as a tinted visor or as good as sunnies.

In conclusion, if you want a new Shoei like I do, don't get this one. I love the sun visor, and the fit and comfort, but the noise is terrible. And a tip for new players - if you put a pin lock in your visor, be prepared for compromised peripheral vision and dangerously poor night vision.

Ps I ride two bikes, one is naked, one is fully faired, the noise cancellation and whistling is equally bad on each bike...

Bike
    Dont have one now
    cheers man.....I was looking at one the other day and wondered what they were like. I must say my XR1000 was the best helmet I have had for a while, I wrote mine off too

Bike
    Thanks for feed back Nat. We haven't got them in-store over here yet. Will be interesting to see how they are received.
    I've not had a full-face with internal sun shade so would be good to get opinions on other brands with similar set up.
    e.g. Shark, HJC

In a generalized comment... helmets with extra internal features lend themselves to higher noise levels. (based on customer feedback)

I'm rather attached to my XR1000 too.

Bike
    Tiger 1050/ Racing Sidecar/KX450F
    Did you try returning it to the shop you got from so they can correctly adjust the visor? Sometimes if they are not quite sitting right it could be causing the noise.
    No Bull Sheds F1 Sidecar Team - Proudly supported by:

No Bull Sheds - Putoline Oils - Shoei Helmets - Raecin Motorsport - Mad Graphics

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    I have two shoeis with the pinlocks and do a fair bit of night riding with no probs whatsoever. Something doesn,t sound right with your setup
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    Austrian and Italian
    Yeah doesn't sound right at all to me. Any whistling, especially low speed must be a visor issue.

Bike
    SF
    I have a Qwest with a pinlock insert in both the dark smoke and clear visors and wouldn't be without them. I don't think the pinlock affects vision much at all and night vision is no problem whatsoever for the clear visor.
    Not sure about the GT Air but the XR1100 had an early batch released where the visor mechanism didn't pull the visor back on to the gasket properly. This caused a loud whistling but minor adjustment sorted that out. Does the GT Air have the mechanism where the visor gets pulled back on to the gasket when fully closed? Fit and comfort being good is great to hear

Bike
    '14 Multistrada 1200S
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_t View Post
    I have a Qwest with a pinlock insert in both the dark smoke and clear visors and wouldn't be without them. I don't think the pinlock affects vision much at all and night vision is no problem whatsoever for the clear visor.
    Not sure about the GT Air but the XR1100 had an early batch released where the visor mechanism didn't pull the visor back on to the gasket properly. This caused a loud whistling but minor adjustment sorted that out. Does the GT Air have the mechanism where the visor gets pulled back on to the gasket when fully closed? Fit and comfort being good is great to hear
    Been looking at a Qwest myself, (I'm a fan of the Bloodflow), certainly nice and comfy at the shop, whats the wind noise like?
    F M S

Bike
    SF
    Quote Originally Posted by yod View Post
    Been looking at a Qwest myself, (I'm a fan of the Bloodflow), certainly nice and comfy at the shop, whats the wind noise like?
    Pretty much non-existent!! Quietest helmet ever!! Not quite as well ventilated but it's easy to crack the visor a smidge with the visor lock switch

Bike
    '03 FXD
    I've been living with a shark for the last couple of years and am looking to replace it with a shoie.My previous ones were brilliant.
    Never too old to Rock n Roll.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I've got miserly tourettes and I don't give a fuck.

Bike
    V four and Thumper
    Quote Originally Posted by Laava View Post
    I have two shoeis with the pinlocks and do a fair bit of night riding with no probs whatsoever. Something doesn,t sound right with your setup
    I know, the shop said they'd never heard of anyone with the same night vision problem, but there's even a sticker on the pinlock that says 'day time use only'. Maybe newer models are somehow different? Either way, I experienced halos and stars around bright lights, and a higher propensity to be blinded by on coming headlights and it made my 3 hour cross country night time trip a pain in the butt a couple of weekends ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    Yeah doesn't sound right at all to me. Any whistling, especially low speed must be a visor issue.
    Good idea, I'll check if I can adjust the visor. Will update thread if I can fix the whistling or the wind noise.

Bike
    My advice is to return to the shop you purchased it from, and the parts staff should be trained on how to adjust the visor to stop this wind noise problem. It is easy to sort out.

Shoei in my opinion are one of the best helmets out there.
    I'm not a complete idiot... some pieces are missing

Quote Originally Posted by DingDong
    "Hi... I rang about the cats you have for sale..."..... "oh... you have children.... how much for the children?"

mucho papoosa bueno no panocha

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Blog Entries
    I had one of these pencilled in for my next helmet, hope it's just an adjustment issue

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Shoeis don't fit my head.

Arai (ouch!) and HJC's are perfect.

I've never worn a helmet that was quiet - always wear ear plugs. Probably accounts for my hearing loss - too many kms under a helmet.

Bike
    Hornet 250, VFR800
    The qwest is my first helmet I bought as a motorcyclist. Haven't actually tried any other helmets but comfort, pinlock vision and fit have all been brilliant in my experience. Wind buffeting is a bit of a problem but that seems to have something to do with my head angle. When the opening of the helmet is flush with the wind direction, it quietens right down. Ventilation is great and i find the option to crack it open a tad with the lever a brilliant idea for when its hot and you're going slow.

Pinlock doesn't affect my vision at all...I can see little halos in oncoming car lights but its not distracting and no difference when I take it off. Maybe your pinlock inserts aren't sitting flush with the visor. Should be nary a gap there.

Comfort just blew me away. I've used it for 4-5hours without removing it. Barely notice it after 10-20minutes.

If it had an inbuilt sun visor I'll say its perfect but I've got a dark smoke visor for daytime use. Just a very slight inconvenience to change it or bringing the clear along for night riding.

Thread Information