Thread: I need advice on a bike please

Bike
    2007 Honda CBR 1000 RR (the "Zulu")

I need advice on a bike please

Hi All,

Hope you're all well.... Jeez, It's been a while since I last posted on here.

Anyway, to the point. I'm out in Botswana, doing some bush flying in the Okavango Delta and was looking at getting a bike, coz i've finally got my work permits through and can now be paid! I've been keeping an eye out here, but unfortunately, there aren't a lot of things available in the way of mainstream bikes. There is a Yamaha dealership here, but the prices for the dirt bikes there are RIDICULOUSLY outside of my budget... But i have come across something interesting, and bang on the budget.

Just gonna use the Botswana Pula, coz it's easier that way (conversion of about 1NZD - 6.5 BWP).

Brand New Yamaha YZ 250 = ~60 000 BWP

I've found:
    Brand New Puzey STX 200 = 11 000 - 17 000 BWP (11 if it's still on special)

Here's a link with the bike specs and as much info as i could find:
    http://www.puzey.co.za/commuters/stx200_technical.asp

n some pics:
    http://www.puzey.co.za/commuters/stx200_main.asp

They have a motard option as well, but that's more for later.

Does anyone know about this make? They have a Mikuni Carb'd engine.... So, japanese.... I'm thinking that'd a bit comforting rather than a chinese rip-off generic? I can't seem to find much else about the bike. That, and internet here can be a bit "iffy".

I appreciate any help.

Regards,
    Zim

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Never heard of them. Mikuni carbs mean little ... the japs sell to anyone.

Probably chinese built bits ... assembled there and renamed ... (as if China cares about copyright)
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    Never heard of them. Mikuni carbs mean little ... the japs sell to anyone.

Probably chinese built bits ... assembled there and renamed ... (as if China cares about copyright)
    Dam.... anyone else?

Yea, from what i've found out, it seems the parts are sorta brought into South Africa where it's assembled and pushed out to wherever.

Bike
    Buell XB12X Ulysses
    Blog Entries
    This is an odd one...for mine, if you cannot find anyone else who has one to ask about it, I'd:

a) get a decent length test ride, and if I can't get a test ride, rent one for a coupld of days and take it out for some abuse to see if it breaks
    b) make sure it has a warranty

other than that, I'd say the price is right if it's not going to be a long-timer, and i would suspect that it's going to use fairly standard parts, so if it breaks fixing it shouldnt be a problem.

BTW, how the heck did you end up there????
    "Atomic batteries to power...turbines to speed..."
    - Page 14 of the Buell Owners Manual

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Krayy View Post
    This is an odd one...for mine, if you cannot find anyone else who has one to ask about it, I'd:

a) get a decent length test ride, and if I can't get a test ride, rent one for a coupld of days and take it out for some abuse to see if it breaks
    b) make sure it has a warranty

other than that, I'd say the price is right if it's not going to be a long-timer, and i would suspect that it's going to use fairly standard parts, so if it breaks fixing it shouldnt be a problem.

BTW, how the heck did you end up there????
    Unfortunately, to test-ride one, i'd need to make a 10hr bus journey to Gaborone from here... not a great option, coz it's bloody expensive to charter a flight down to Gabs from here. i'll see if any of the companies have an empty flight going down tho. Perhaps i could sneak on board.

I emailed puzey about the bikes and here's what they said:

"The STX is a South African design (both the Trial and the Motard) with the suzuki DR200 engine made under licence. The Puzey head office is in Gauteng South Africa and small spares are kept in Gabs and any others are brought up from Jhb within 4 working days. We as being Interlink have been marketing Puzey for 4 years in Botswana and there are quiet a few STX's running around Botswana One guy from OWS has one and his has more than 10 000 km on with no issues"

So, brings us back then... anyone know about the suzuki Dr200 engines?

Conditions here in Maun - Very Hot (winter ranges; 8 - 18C, Summer 28 - 48 C). Intermittent thunderstorms (when it rains it bloody dumps on us), roads are mainly tarred but a lot of dust roads too. But it's a dirt bike, so it's kinda made to be raped by the weather, surroundings, animals and people. (oh, night riding here is entertaining. u've gotta have exit plans for stray dogs n donkeys that just wander onto the roads/dirt lined thingies)

How i ended up here..... well.... there aren't many places in the world where a pilot can get their first break in the industry and build up experience and flight hours. Luckily, Maun is one of them. Having a Zim passport helps too, and yea.... heard about it, looked into it and booked my tickets. It's a stunning place to fly and the people are great. It's such a big mix which is great.... What can i say... i need work (don't wanna be riding the dole for too long)

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    Having been inside Chinese DR motors, I wouldn't be worried about buying one. Some of their Honda and Suzuki copies are very good bikes and hugely popular in Seth Effrika.

Sent from a biased point of view using no logic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Alloy, stainless and Ti polishing.
    Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by ducatilover View Post
    Having been inside Chinese DR motors, I wouldn't be worried about buying one. Some of their Honda and Suzuki copies are very good bikes and hugely popular in Seth Effrika.

Sent from a biased point of view using no logic.
    Hahaha.... that's enough of a plus point for me. Sweet... Time to start saving.

If i pass through Gaberone i'll make a plan to test one out, otherwise, i'll pay the extra and get one brand new. So....next question. of the two... Motard or Trial bike?

Thread Information