Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CB125 bucket

Bike
    RS125, TZ80, RS50, RS50, FXR
    If I was 14 and had no money I'd jump on the lifan. It's not amazing but at least you're out there having fun and getting better as a rider. All you need is something that won't break and costs little. There is a lot of money difference between an FXR and that Lifan when you're 14. Not everyone needs an FXR or 20hp (see 30hp 2 stroke) to have fun.

Get out there and get your knee on the floor!

Bike
    yamaha,ag100
    Hmmmmmmm I know the Lifan would be the better choice and would be quicker (my mum almost had a heart attack at the look of it) but personally the Honda looks more fun and appealing to me. And it's less money. Please keep In mind it's just to keep me inspired and keep me interisted whilst I get a job and save for an fxr.

Bike
    Rattlecan blue
    I've only had a quick look at that CB but I do love the sound of the twins, having said that you'll have a fair bit of work ahead of you getting it ready for the track. On top of that about the only sticky tyre you'll get for it are BT39SS bridgestones, budget about $350 for those and unless you like the idea of crashing don't try and race it on the gingernut compound tyres likely to be on it now. The Chinese thing should get you on track faster but there is the whole Chinese bike phobia to deal with. This may be well founded or may have turned into a religious issue with no logic involved these days. I'm not brave enough to make a call on that one.
    Stock is best

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    Quote Originally Posted by agman View Post
    Hmmmmmmm I know the Lifan would be the better choice . . . . And it's less money.
    It won't be less money by the time you get it on the track with tyres and nylon and a pile of other things. That Lifan looks a good deal, ready to go and probably half decent. It looks OK for sure. Someone going your way could probably drop it off, eventually, or you could meet it at a track and take it home.

Bike
    yamaha,ag100
    Heck 350 for tires!!! Would a rim swap be possible? And gosh I didn't spy that second exhaust.... Not helping my case.

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    less than 10 minutes to go . . . .

Bike
    yamaha,ag100
    Oh not to mention my dad won't lend me $200

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    My folks weren't keen to lend me money for my first bike either. I finally saved enough to buy one myself, brand new, but it fell off the truck going through the Manawatu gorge so I decided to buy my mates RD350 but he fell off it on his way to my place. Bad omens, I should have listened.

Bike
    yamaha,ag100
    Are you dropping hints

Bike
    93 kwacker zxr750
    Are you dropping hints
    so did ya buy the bike . l would go for the twin you can buy tires for around 60 bucks each witch are fine for starting of. to meany pussys out there now days

Bike
    yamaha,ag100
    If I were to build on it what would need to be done? I was thinking 17" rims,nylon and do any performance upgrades after I get the bike ready and have all my gear.(all I need are leathers).

Bike
    Several
    If I were to build on it what would need to be done? I was thinking 17" rims,nylon and do any performance upgrades after I get the bike ready and have all my gear.(all I need are leathers).
    Nylon, nylon nylon.
    Then wire everything up and race prep it.
    Catch bottles rigged and other mods.

Good to go; in a participation sense.

17" rims may set you back a couple of hundie, maybe less but don't bank on it. Then you have to make them fit, front and rear, that may involve changes of sprockets and bakes, possibly both ends, plus making spacers. All more time/effort/money.
    The comes the engine work, a mate has spent a fair bit of time and coin on a CB, it's about the same as an FXR is with a carb and pipe.
    To get from std to FXR level would mean quite an expenditure.

I really hate to say it but: Save for the FXR.

If you are desperate to get out on the track (I understand that!) get something cheap and shit, nylon and race prep it and maybe even stretch to a set of new craparse tyres but do no more, just use it as a stepping stone to a better bike.

Just my take on the situation.
    Heinz Varieties

Bike
    yamaha,ag100
    This cb was ment to be a stepping stone of sorts, and I think it would be boring to by something already built by someone else to be honest yes it's $200 for a 17" cbr rear wheel on TM

Bike
    yamaha,ag100
    But gatch over on his other thread is flicking off a cb125 bucket.

Bike
    tf bucket
    Not that I want to be a party pooper, but why not sort out some leathers first and then come have a play on our bikes at Edgecumbe THEN look for / build a bike

Thread Information