Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Suzuki TS185 maintenance

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matariki View Post
    Should I do that with both screws?
    The one on the throttle stop. Usually there is a locking nut as well that will need loosened first.

Sometimes lengthening the throttle cable outer is required. But take a close look at the adjusting screw at the carb first though. You will figure it out by yourself I think. While looking at the throttle stop you open/twist the throttle at the handlebar. You will see what is needed.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    The one on the throttle stop. Usually there is a locking nut as well that will need loosened first.

Sometimes lengthening the throttle cable outer is required. But take a close look at the adjusting screw at the carb first though. You will figure it out by yourself I think. While looking at the throttle stop you open/twist the throttle at the handlebar. You will see what is needed.
    On my carb, I have a Throttle valve sighting plug which is a phillips head and is located above the Throttle stop screw. There is no locking nut on my carb. Just so I understand, here is what my carb looks like (its not the one that's on my TS, but this is a photo of the same model).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4775320224_456b9fb8e8.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	76.9 KB 
ID:	280992

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    On my carb, I have a Throttle valve sighting plug which is a phillips head and is located above the Throttle stop screw. There is no locking nut on my carb. Just so I understand, here is what my carb looks like (its not the one that's on my TS, but this is a photo of the same model).
    The one on the left in the pic with the coiled spring attached will be the idle adjuster. Turn clockwise to increase the revs. The one on top of the carb is to adjust the length of throttle cable outer. And will have another similar at the bar end of the cable. Adjust the cable outer so there is no (well very tiny amount is good) slack with/at the throttle handle before you adjust idle speed. SO ... as you twist the throttle handle (forward or back)... the response is immediate.

Half or quarter turns of the adjuster at a time ... then give it a few revs (not that much) with the throttle ... then let the engine settle its revs. Before another 1/2 or 1/4 turn.

Repeat the process until desired rev's reached for constant good idle.

It helps if you set idle speed with a good clean plug fitted.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    The one on the left in the pic with the coiled spring attached will be the idle adjuster. Turn clockwise to increase the revs. The one on top of the carb is to adjust the length of throttle cable outer. And will have another similar at the bar end of the cable. Adjust the cable outer so there is no (well very tiny amount is good) slack with/at the throttle handle before you adjust idle speed. SO ... as you twist the throttle handle (forward or back)... the response is immediate.

Half or quarter turns of the adjuster at a time ... then give it a few revs (not that much) with the throttle ... then let the engine settle its revs. Before another 1/2 or 1/4 turn.

Repeat the process until desired rev's reached for constant good idle.

It helps if you set idle speed with a good clean plug fitted.
    I've been trying this, but for some reason whether I tighten it up or untighten it, my TS still doesn't want to idle. The engine is still cutting out even after I've warmed up the engine for 5 or so minutes...

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Just an FYI, its good practice to 'down adjust' the idle if you have slide carbs otherwise you can damage the slide cos the idle screw just screws into a ramp on it. So rev it up with the throttle, then screw in the idle screw, let go of the throttle at which point it should be idling too high; then screw out the idle adjuster until it idles where you want it.
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    Just an FYI, its good practice to 'down adjust' the idle if you have slide carbs otherwise you can damage the slide cos the idle screw just screws into a ramp on it. So rev it up with the throttle, then screw in the idle screw, let go of the throttle at which point it should be idling too high; then screw out the idle adjuster until it idles where you want it.
    Should I start with the idle screw fully tightened?

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Should I start with the idle screw fully tightened?
    Nah, its just you need to screw it in when the slide is raised, then out to adjust the idle.
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    None
    Nah, its just you need to screw it in when the slide is raised, then out to adjust the idle.
    "Slide is raised, then out"?
    Sorry, I'm not sure if I understand what youre referring to...

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    "Slide is raised, then out"?
    Sorry, I'm not sure if I understand what youre referring to...
    Slide is raised when you turn the throttle.
    Then you screw the idle adjuster in so the slide is not in contact with the screw.
    Then release the throttle to lower the slide onto the idle adjuster screw.
    Then screw out the idle adjuster screw to lower the idle to what you need it to be.

Bike
    None
    Slide is raised when you turn the throttle.
    Then you screw the idle adjuster in so the slide is not in contact with the screw.
    Then release the throttle to lower the slide onto the idle adjuster screw.
    Then screw out the idle adjuster screw to lower the idle to what you need it to be.
    That makes sense. Thanks, I'll have a look.

Bike
    None
    Hmm... my TS still doesn't want to idle (even after following FJRider's and Bogans suggestions). I'm not sure what's wrong, it might be that I'm not experienced enough to adjust it on my own.

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Hmm... my TS still doesn't want to idle (even after following FJRider's and Bogans suggestions). I'm not sure what's wrong, it might be that I'm not experienced enough to adjust it on my own.
    Re-summarise the:

1) Current problem
    2) What you've attempted to do to fix it
    3) Any previous problems and their fixes that might be related

I'll have a look-see and try and do some internet diagnosis on that, as 50odd posts makes it just too hard to go back through and offer advice with much usefulness.

Bike
    None
    Re-summarise the:

1) Current problem
    My Suzuki TS won't idle even after the engine is warmed up. Before cleaning my carburetor, the TS idled comfortably at around 1300 rpm.

2) What you've attempted to do to fix it
    I have attempted to adjust the idle screw on the carburetor while the TS was running (after I had warmed up the engine). I have also opened up the carb to make sure that the throttle cable was in properly. I did try to disconnect the throttle cable so I could have a proper look at the slide and spring that sits in the carb, I'm not sure however how to do this.

3) Any previous problems and their fixes that might be related
    Not sure of any previous problems. However, the throttle cable (where it connects to the throttle itself) looks a bit worn (will post photos if necessary). I did open up the throttle, but ended up putting it back together. Sometimes the throttle (both before and after) does stick at around 4000 rpm. I did have an incident where the floats were sticking after opening up the carb the first time, I corrected this problem by opening up the carb
    and readjusting the floats as according to my manual. I have also recently changed the engine oil, cleaned the airfilter and changed the gearbox oil.

I'll have a look-see and try and do some internet diagnosis on that, as 50odd posts makes it just too hard to go back through and offer advice with much usefulness.
    Thanks, that would be a huge help.

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Are there any other problems like surging or bogging at certain rpms/throttle openings? It sounds like the low speed circuit mixture is a bit off.

There's a few checks and things that I've done with CV carbs for four strokes, but not sure how they transfer over to slide carb two stroke.

The simplest one is probably the high idle mixture screw setting. Where you adjust the idle to around 2500rpm, then adjust the mixture screw until it both sounds good, and has the highest idle. Does the carb have an easily accessible mixture screw? and have you adjusted it at all?

Bike
    None
    Are there any other problems like surging or bogging at certain rpms/throttle openings? It sounds like the low speed circuit mixture is a bit off.

There's a few checks and things that I've done with CV carbs for four strokes, but not sure how they transfer over to slide carb two stroke.

The simplest one is probably the high idle mixture screw setting. Where you adjust the idle to around 2500rpm, then adjust the mixture screw until it both sounds good, and has the highest idle. Does the carb have an easily accessible mixture screw? and have you adjusted it at all?
    I'm not sure If I follow you. My TS isn't idling, so I'm not sure how to adjust it to where I can tell its at 2500 rpm. In terms or surging or bogging, it usually happens (sometimes) when I open up the throttle past half way and the TS hits 4000 rpm, it sticks at around 4000 - 6000 rpm.

I haven't adjusted the mixture screw (I don't know whether its called the Pilot air screw or the throttle valve sighting plug) either way, they're both on as tight as I could tighten them.

Thread Information