Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Suzuki TS185 maintenance

Bike
    None

Suzuki TS185 maintenance

Considering I have allot of questions about my maintaining my little Suzuki TS 185 (2005 model, 2 stroke). I figured that instead of making separate threads for different issues regarding the TS, I'll post them all here.

Bike
    None
    Questions about Changing Engine Oil

Iv'e decided to change the engine oil in my TS, however the little container that the oil sits in is covered in sticky oil. What can I use to clean it (that wont damage the plastic or affect the engine)? Should I also clean the inside of the plastic container too? And can I use the same type of oil for the gear box?

I went to the local suzuki dealer and they sold me some Ipone 2 stroke city motor-oil. They assured me that it was more than adequate. Although, it doesn't state on the bottle what sae it is.

Bike
    None
    Questions about Air Filter

I've also considered changing the air filter in my TS from the stock standard air filter (the picture below isn't my air filter, but its the same design) to a conical air filter. Are there any major differences in terms of fitting (do I have to do any modifications or anything like that to my bike) and performance (will my bike run any better). How do you go about installing them?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	603827270_tp.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	37.2 KB 
ID:	280293

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by Matariki View Post
    Questions about Changing Engine Oil

Iv'e decided to change the engine oil in my TS, however the little container that the oil sits in is covered in sticky oil. What can I use to clean it (that wont damage the plastic or affect the engine)? Should I also clean the inside of the plastic container too? And can I use the same type of oil for the gear box?

I went to the local suzuki dealer and they sold me some Ipone 2 stroke city motor-oil. They assured me that it was more than adequate. Although, it doesn't state on the bottle what sae it is.
    There's two places where oil's used in your bike. One's the gearbox, and the other's the two-stroke oil the bike pumps into it's main bearings and mixes with it's petrol to lubricate it's piston.

I'd be changing the gearbox oil annually.

The two-stroke oil will be consumed by the bike fairly quickly, from that plastic bottle, and you need to keep it topped up or the engine will be toast.

As far as cleaning the bottle goes I'd just use a little petrol on a rag, maybe an old toothbrush. Wouldn't bother with the inside unless it's obviously got actual dirt in there, just top it up with proper two stroke oil. Never heard of ipone, no google results either but if it's two stroke oil as opposed to four stroke engine oil it'll be fine.

Questions about Air Filter

I've also considered changing the air filter in my TS from the stock standard air filter (the picture below isn't my air filter, but its the same design) to a conical air filter. Are there any major differences in terms of fitting (do I have to do any modifications or anything like that to my bike) and performance (will my bike run any better). How do you go about installing them?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	603827270_tp.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	37.2 KB 
ID:	280293
    The original's a foam filter? Either way I'd leave it alone, the chances of you finding a filter that works as well as the one Mr Suzuki put on is very slim. If it needs replacing then just buy a new TS185 filter.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocean1 View Post
    There's two places where oil's used in your bike. One's the gearbox, and the other's the two-stroke oil the bike pumps into it's main bearings and mixes with it's petrol to lubricate it's piston.

I'd be changing the gearbox oil annually.

The two-stroke oil will be consumed by the bike fairly quickly, from that plastic bottle, and you need to keep it topped up or the engine will be toast.
    So does that mean I can use the same oil for both places?

The original's a foam filter? Either way I'd leave it alone, the chances of you finding a filter that works as well as the one Mr Suzuki put on is very slim. If it needs replacing then just buy a new TS185 filter.
    Would it be worth while cleaning the foam or should I purchase new foam? Its pretty old and dirty looking.

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    No .

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    The two oils are not the same.

If the foam can be removed without damage ... clean and re oil it. (or at least just CLEAN it) It will run better clean.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Aprillia RSV1000R 92 KX500
    Blog Entries
    Automatic transmission oil/ fluid for cars works quite well in two stroke gear boxes.

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    No. two stroke oil in the plastic bottle, easiest fail-proof routine is to top it up at the same time you get petrol. Gearbox oil in the gearbox.

Would it be worth while cleaning the foam or should I purchase new foam? Its pretty old and dirty looking.
    Yeah, is normal to clean them repeatedly. Put half a litre of petrol in an ice cream tub, rinse foam and wring it out half a dozen times. Chuck the petrol, put the foam back in the tub and pour about 100cc of filter oil, (yeah, another type of oil) over it. Wring it out and mop up the oil, wring it out again, repeat until there's no dry parts of foam then wring it out one last time and refit it to the bike. You might want to get some disposable gloves. If the foam's damaged buy another one, they aren't too expensive.

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Put half a litre of petrol in an ice cream tub, rinse foam and wring it out half a dozen times. Chuck the petrol, put the foam back in the tub and pour about 100cc of filter oil, (yeah, another type of oil) over it. Wring it out and mop up the oil, wring it out again, repeat until there's no dry parts of foam then wring it out one last time and refit it to the bike. You might want to get some disposable gloves. If the foam's damaged buy another one, they aren't too expensive.
    No, don't wring it out.

Squeeze out as much excess oil as you can.

Wringing it out tears the foam fibres.

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    No, don't wring it out.

Squeeze out as much excess oil as you can.

Wringing it out tears the foam fibres.
    Good call, wrong word.

Bike
    xr650
    Thought better to use kerosene to clean filter than petrol ? Will use petrol in future if no difference, just thought
    bit harsh on the foam (guess all comes from same place)

Save yourself some $ and buy 1L of 80/90 gear oil (valvoline about $17) for oiling your foam filter, says in my manual
    to do so - if its good enough for the best engine builders in the world to state to do so good enough for me

Bike
    None
    Question about Fuel Tank

While I was doing my clean up on my TS (so far I've done the oil container, air filter and carb) I decided to also have a look at the fuel tap itself. I removed the tank from the TS and disconnected everything. As I was emptying out my petrol tank (it was pretty much empty anyway) a bunch of brownish/redish gunk came out of the tank out of where the fuel tap is usually connected to the tank (the rear of the tank). My manual doesn't state what it means when brown gunk comes out of tanks. My dad thinks it might be rust and thinks I should clean it out with petrol. But I thought I should check with you guys first. The tank itself appears to be in good condition (its solid and has no outer surface rust).

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Question about Fuel Tank

While I was doing my clean up on my TS (so far I've done the oil container, air filter and carb) I decided to also have a look at the fuel tap itself. I removed the tank from the TS and disconnected everything. As I was emptying out my petrol tank (it was pretty much empty anyway) a bunch of brownish/redish gunk came out of the tank out of where the fuel tap is usually connected to the tank (the rear of the tank). My manual doesn't state what it means when brown gunk comes out of tanks. My dad thinks it might be rust and thinks I should clean it out with petrol. But I thought I should check with you guys first. The tank itself appears to be in good condition (its solid and has no outer surface rust).
    Good on you for cleaning all those ... bikes have fewer running issues if you do.

The tank is the gathering place of ALL the crap that gets pumped into your tank via the nozzle of all the fuel stations you get petrol at. When fuel station tanks are low ... is usually the worst time. Stations that have a low volume of fuel pumped ... are even worse. The crud has more time to settle at the bottom of the tank and be a time bomb for unsuspecting motorists.
    Your guess (and your fathers) is as good as any what it is. However ... it is not recommended that it remains in YOUR tank. (you may have figured that out yourself)

It is not the outer surface rust that is of concern ... but inside the tank. As petrol floats ... water must then drop to the bottom of a tank. This will cause rust ... as water does contain oxygen. On top of this ... the original tank linings do get flaky and can clog up the filter on the upper part of the fuel tap. A regular removal of the tap and clean helps ... but a small inline fuel filter helps more. (but all little bits of help DO help)

Cleaning the inside of the tank on bikes such as yours is easy (and cheap)

Steps ...

1. Collect half a litre of washed pea gravel.
    2. Remove fuel tap from the tank.
    3. Plug the hole the fuel tap fills.(a piece of rag is ok)
    4. Pour washed pea gravel into the tank with an equal (or about) amount of petrol.
    5. Swirl the gravel/petrol mixture about in the tank ... covering the entire surface of the inside of the tank.
    6. After a time ... pour resulting mixture into a bowel/container (2 litre ice cream containers are good for this)
    7. Re-wash pea gravel and repeat swirling with the fuel/grave mixture a few times ... until no crud is poured out with the fuel/gravel mixture.
    8. Replace fuel tap and fit tank to the bike. Fill with fresh petrol.

Don't put fine sand into the tank in the mixture. So when you have finished cleaning ... and shake the tank ... you wont hear a gravel rattle from inside the tank.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    My $0.02

Use std airfilter, anything else will alter how it runs. as above, I tend to clean filter & shake out petrol & let it airdry over night before applying new filter oil.

I'd just buy plain airfilter oil, its not expensive & will last ages on the road. Wrong oil here can cause running problems.

Gearbox oil, just buy 2 stroke gearbox oil, will protect the best & again isn't expensive.

The tank. Well yes Suzukis of that era were known for having rust prone tanks. Clean it out & monitor. If it gets bad you will have to use a tank sealer & there are enough threads on that subject.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Thread Information