Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Suzuki GN250 Bobber starting problem

Bike
    Bobber
    Quote Originally Posted by Sable View Post
    Grow some balls and crash start it. Every. Time. Artists = pussies
    I'm a welder fabricator by trade and build industrial fuel tanks ranging from 150 litres to our most recent being a 100,000 litre AV fuel tank. The tanks can weigh up 40 tonne and every inch of my welding has to be faultless. The tanks are built to be bullet, bomb, collision and fire proof. Sound like a fucking pussy to you pal?

Bike
    Bobber
    Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    Sounds like you have at least two problems.

My picks are:
    1) Dodgy high current connection to the starter somewhere, so while you get a decent spark by shorting the poles, the current is still shy of what it needs to tick over.
    2) You're shit at push-starting

Alternatively
    1-238) its fucked

Other Alternatively
    1) mechanical issues making it harder for the starter to turn over
    2) electrical issues for same
    3) electrical issues making it unable to be push started
    4) mechanical issues for same

Diagnosis
    Find out why it isn't push starting, the starter problems shouldn't affect this at all.
    I won't lie - it could be number 2

Bike
    Bobber
    Thanks for the advice guys - it's been really appreciated. Cheers.

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    That's your best hope for an easy fix I think. Trouble is, its got a lot to do with feel, and judging the sounds.

The basics of push starting it are to put it in gear (second or even third on a GN as others have said), run it up to speed then jump on. Time it so when your weight lands on the pegs you release the clutch and start the engine spinning over, then roll the throttle on a bit. A GN is a good little bike to learn it on, my 65kg self has push started my 650 V-twin on occasion too, so in your case it will be only technique that needs a bit of work (or the bike itself).

Whether it burbles, bogs, coughs etc in response to the throttle can tell you a lot about the problem.
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    Try 3rd or 4th gear. 5th Even (you can push it for longer) ... 2 is way too low for a non runner.

Good plugs you know are ok. Not the plugs that are in it that "LOOK" ok ...
    2nd is fine on a GN, I've roll started mine many a time just for fun and you can do it while "on" the bike, just stand up and run. It's kind of amusing.

I'm assuming it turned over when you roll started it?
    Next to check, spark and fuel.
    Getting fuel in is piss easy, blow in to the carb bowl vent (RHS of the carb) and it'll chuck some up the intake.
    Check for power at the coil
    If it's not seeming like it's turning over, get a big flat blade screw driver, take the small cover off the LHS stator/engine cover and use a 22mm socket to turn the motor anti-clockwise (towards the front) just to make sure it's okay.

If you have fresh fuel, power to coil, good plug:
    Compression check
    Valve clearances and timing
    Check the main fuse (it's the only fuse on most GNs, so probably not the issue)
    Use the elec diagram to check the kill switch, delete the neutral and side stand cut out switches to the starter solenoid (nuetral is blue/white wire from memory and sidestand is a solid green)
    Then check the pick up coil (it's in the stator cover and you'll find the wires coming from that to the CDI box, there's a resistance value in that manual)
    Check CDI
    etc etc

Sent from a strangely warm place

Quick edit: Check the earth strap to the engine, goes to the rear of the clutch side cover and check the other earths.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Alloy, stainless and Ti polishing.
    Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDGT
    kill switch in correct position?
    Try + on battery to starter with jumperlead.
    If no joy , jump from negative on battery to chassis as well

Bike
    A blue one
    i hate to say it mate, but buy yourself a multi meter and a hanyes mannual and go from scratch on the loom..

had a mini one that stopped intermittanly, been to the garage three times... finally the wire that was causing
    the issue broke in plain sight, one new terminal crimp later fixed... hindsight.. frigging exspenzie...

Bike
    Bobber
    Hey thanks for all the tips guys - have started going through everything bit by bit and here's what I have so far. Plug seems fine, solenoid all good, removed and retested starter motor and firing like a rocket, made sure all terminals were clean as a whistle, fully recharged battery, side stand up and checked fuel. Will start trying out some of the other suggestions you guys have made and see what happens. I'm beginning to wonder if it's not more of a mechanical issue rather than electrical, based on everything I've tried so far ... will keep trying though. If I can learn how to rebuild V8's I'm sure I can figure this out. Oh the joy of bikes that don't work. PS anyone local who knows a thing or two about this stuff feels like rocking over and having a look then happy to spring for some beers or work something out .... cheers.

Bike
    Bobber
    Quote Originally Posted by ducatilover View Post
    Why did you have no joy push starting it? Did you build up a running pace and dump the clutch?
    Owner's manual http://dl.dropbox.com/u/26633588/GN250%20Manual.pdf may help you out
    Hey cheers for putting me onto that man - bloody handy. Seeing how it all works means I can now start figuring out what the actual problem is. Nothing worse than taking a cover off and having parts fall out with no idea where they came from. Learned that the hard way.

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Quote Originally Posted by Tombstone View Post
    Hey thanks for all the tips guys - have started going through everything bit by bit and here's what I have so far. Plug seems fine, solenoid all good, removed and retested starter motor and firing like a rocket, made sure all terminals were clean as a whistle, fully recharged battery, side stand up and checked fuel. Will start trying out some of the other suggestions you guys have made and see what happens. I'm beginning to wonder if it's not more of a mechanical issue rather than electrical, based on everything I've tried so far ... will keep trying though. If I can learn how to rebuild V8's I'm sure I can figure this out. Oh the joy of bikes that don't work. PS anyone local who knows a thing or two about this stuff feels like rocking over and having a look then happy to spring for some beers or work something out .... cheers.
    So the starter works out of the bike, the bike turns over alright on push start, but the starter doesn't work in the bike?

Sounds like there is a mechanical issue which is stalling the starter, or that the starter isn't getting enough current to turn the bike over; which is either battery power, or wiring.
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    Bobber
    Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    So the starter works out of the bike, the bike turns over alright on push start, but the starter doesn't work in the bike?

Sounds like there is a mechanical issue which is stalling the starter, or that the starter isn't getting enough current to turn the bike over; which is either battery power, or wiring.
    Yeah, I'm thinking it's mechanical as everything electrical seems to be doing what it should so might have to delve a little deeper ... joy

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, I'm thinking it's mechanical as everything electrical seems to be doing what it should so might have to delve a little deeper ... joy
    Does the starter not turn the motor over ... or not just not start it .. ???
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Bobber
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    Does the starter not turn the motor over ... or not just not start it .. ???
    Starter doesn't turn the motor over - battery fully recharged (also brand new so not an old one) and starter works as it should so wondering if it has something to do with the starter idle gear itself??? Mate's gonna come over Tuesday and we're gonna throw it up on the bench and go right over all the electrics and try a few things out if not just to eliminate stuff as being the problem. No mad panic but would be nice to get it going sooner rather than later.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Starter doesn't turn the motor over - battery fully recharged (also brand new so not an old one) and starter works as it should so wondering if it has something to do with the starter idle gear itself??? Mate's gonna come over Tuesday and we're gonna throw it up on the bench and go right over all the electrics and try a few things out if not just to eliminate stuff as being the problem. No mad panic but would be nice to get it going sooner rather than later.
    Check ALL the fuses. There is often one in the starter circuit.

And ... some plugs do LOOK good. But are not (trust me on this). Get the motor spinning on the starter motor ... and check the spark. Then compare it with one out of your car. (or known to be good/new)
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    Have you got a multimeter? I would be making sure it's getting a good amount of power when you hit the start button.

Sent from my device using baby oil
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Alloy, stainless and Ti polishing.
    Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Thread Information