Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Suzuki GN250 Bobber starting problem

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ducatilover View Post
    I would be making sure it's getting a good amount of power when you hit the start button.

Sent from my device using baby oil
    I would check the start button is clean and making good contacts ...

Sent from purgatory using hand signals
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Tombstone View Post
    Starter doesn't turn the motor over - battery fully recharged (also brand new so not an old one) and starter works as it should so wondering if it has something to do with the starter idle gear itself??? Mate's gonna come over Tuesday and we're gonna throw it up on the bench and go right over all the electrics and try a few things out if not just to eliminate stuff as being the problem. No mad panic but would be nice to get it going sooner rather than later.
    Does anything turn the motor over? Push it in gear with the plug out?
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    Bobber
    Will try a few of your suggestions out tomorrow and keep ya'll updated. Mate down the road might have a meter so will hit him up in the morning and see what I come up with. Will also look at buying one as it'll come in handy anyway - another tool for the box. Cheers.

Bike
    Bobber
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    Does anything turn the motor over? Push it in gear with the plug out?
    Nothing turning the motor over at all ... in saying that, we tried it on one occasion last night with the fully charged battery and it did start to make a really weak whir sound but that was about it. About as close as we've got it to actually firing up. Tested battery and all good.

Bike
    Bobber
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    I would check the start button is clean and making good contacts ...

Sent from purgatory using hand signals
    will do - cheers

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Nothing turning the motor over at all ... in saying that, we tried it on one occasion last night with the fully charged battery and it did start to make a really weak whir sound but that was about it. About as close as we've got it to actually firing up. Tested battery and all good.
    Wait, so it didn't event turn over when you tried to push start it? Did the rear wheel just lock up then?
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    will do - cheers
    Inside those switch blocks ... is a lovely place for spider nests ...

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Ok, the reason I asked that is it does sound like the motor has seized. I would be taking off on of the side covers and trying to crank the motor by hand to confirm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    Bobber
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    Ok, the reason I asked that is it does sound like the motor has seized. I would be taking off on of the side covers and trying to crank the motor by hand to confirm.
    I'll give it a go but I don't think it's seized ... that's not to say that something inside the motor hasn't locked up though because that's pretty much what I think has happened. See how it goes and let you know. Cheers.

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    I'll give it a go but I don't think it's seized ... that's not to say that something inside the motor hasn't locked up though because that's pretty much what I think has happened. See how it goes and let you know. Cheers.
    Can you be a bit more clear on what happened when you tried to push started it?

Tried push starting - no joy (compression good though).
    To me says it turns over while pushing, but then you also say

Nothing turning the motor over at all
    It makes it really hard for us to help diagnose the problem when you don't give us clear information.
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    As I said, take that bit out the LHS cover with a big flathead and turn it over with a 22mm socket.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Alloy, stainless and Ti polishing.
    Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Try a power connection to the starter that is NOT from/connected to ... the bike.

If it's the same result ... it would point to mechanical.

If it turns it over ... electrical issues.

Bike
    Bobber
    Ok - just to try and clear things up a little when I push started it I could hear the motor turn over but not in such a way that it hinted at actually wanting to start. Have also pushed now with plug out to make sure crank is turning over and all good - not seized. Emailed the guy I bought it off and he told me that the bike gradually got harder and harder to start over time to the point where it would no longer start at all. To my mind that sounds like an electrical fault but here's the problem - when I use and external current to the starter motor nothing happens apart from a few sparks and that's about it. Gonna watch some tv and leave it for tomorrow me thinks.

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    You need external earth from external source to engine and then power to the starter
    And a cigarette lighter.

Whenever I'm back down in my garage I can dig out some parts if you're needing any and send them down to you

Sent from somewhere that's far from my garage using testicular sweat
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Alloy, stainless and Ti polishing.
    Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    2005, Suzuki GN250

Update please!!

Ok - just to try and clear things up a little when I push started it I could hear the motor turn over but not in such a way that it hinted at actually wanting to start. Have also pushed now with plug out to make sure crank is turning over and all good - not seized. Emailed the guy I bought it off and he told me that the bike gradually got harder and harder to start over time to the point where it would no longer start at all. To my mind that sounds like an electrical fault but here's the problem - when I use and external current to the starter motor nothing happens apart from a few sparks and that's about it. Gonna watch some tv and leave it for tomorrow me thinks.
    Hey Tombstone, did you get this bike going in the end? I think I have a similar problem. I am able to push start the bike though. Does anyone here know whether a faulty stator can cause he electric start to fail. All I get is a clicking solanoid.

Thread Information