Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Waikato scooter rides?

Bike
    Honda VF750f.
    Bloody epic stuff. Good on ya.
    For a man is a slave to whatever has mastered him. Keep an open mind, just dont let your brains fall out.

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    What a great way to spend the day - riding and chewing the fat. You're lucky to have great roads and so little traffic - just a bit envious. Nah, bloody envious! Enjoy your riding tomorrow.

Bike
    none at the moment
    Quote Originally Posted by awa355 View Post
    As it turned out, the rain only came throughout the day in small doses, but the fog that hung around kept the road surfaces nice and wet. I was getting Buggsy cranked over through many of the corners and never had an anxious moment.

Now, I still have a day off tomorrow, and some petrol money left, Maybe a ride and Harbour, Waitomo roads?? Then on the 21st, its a run around the Coromandel loop.
    You are a hardy soul. It's freezing down here in Wanganui, windy and wet too. Sounds like you are not getting it up there. Lucky for some eh? Have enjoyed your write ups and pics.

Bike
    Yamaha XV250
    Blog Entries

Back roads.

Day off no.2 and after yesterdays run there was still some petrol money left over, so after cutting firewood this morning, Buggsy and I decided to have a run. We filled up and as the old western cliche says, " Go west old fart", or summit like that, we headed west towards Pirongia.

Out past Pirongia to the Ngutunui school where I turned right into Pekanui road. This is a steady uphill climb of about 9 kilometres. A narrow sealed road with barely a straight piece. All tight winding corners. For a little bike, this is a fantastic hill climb. Buggsy forgot he was only supposed to have 100cc under his belt. The little buggar pulled up once to see if I was still onboard so I grabed a snapshot looking back towards Pirongia. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020135.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	277.0 KB 
ID:	284885

After the seal ended we went onto Okupata road. This was a gravel road for the first 8 k's. Packed down hard but with a few corners loaded with corrugations. No problem to a 21" front end but with 10" rims I noticed the ruts, although the road was a breeze really. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020140.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	414.0 KB 
ID:	284886

A wee bit down the road I got a nice view of the land with Kawhia harbour in the distance. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020143.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	302.8 KB 
ID:	284887

Back onto tarseal shortly after and what a ball. A flat run into Oparau with no end of tight corners, a smooth surface and Buggsy blew out the cobwebs. This was the neatest piece of road in the two days' trips. It must have been market day in Oparau. I joined a local lady on the roadside as 'a' car drove through town. As soon as a gap appeared after the car left town, I snapped a shot of some of the best real estate in Oparua, infact, probably the 'only' real estate in town. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020146.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	394.0 KB 
ID:	284889

Because there are no roundabouts in Oparau, one has to drive around the dead tabby cat on the road before hitting the Kawhia - Otorohanga highway.

This sign says a bit about why bike riders love an afternoon run out to Kawhia.The 10 should read 40. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020149.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	686.7 KB 
ID:	284890

We stopped at a lookout for one more view. unfortunatly, I can only load six photos, so thats it for this report. Got back to Pirongia just as the rain started. A great two days off work, riding instead of doing dumb stuff around the section.

My next venture is going to be a ride around the Coromandel loop. Should be interesting.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020147.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	367.1 KB 
ID:	284888  
    " Rule books are for the Guidance of the Wise, and the Obedience of Fools"

Bike
    Honda VF750f.
    Good on ya dude, top effort. Again.
    For a man is a slave to whatever has mastered him. Keep an open mind, just dont let your brains fall out.

Bike
    Yamaha XV250
    Blog Entries

Coromandel weekend.

For this coming weekend I have plans' A & B.

Plan A is my original idea of the Coromandel loop and back home on Sunday.

Plan B is to ride up on Saturday and carry on to Port Jackson. An overnight camp, then back to the original loop ride on the Sunday. I haven't been up past Coromandel, other than a ride to Kennedy's bay many years ago. A mate has a Bivvy bag I can borrow, and with a tarp or fly, it will be a 'basic' camp out. I dont really want to load up the scooter with a sleeping bag, mat, tent, cooking gear etc.

If the penninsula gets a lot of rain this week, I might give the Colville to the tip section, a miss.

I have the Monday/Tuesday off as well so will make a decision closer to the weekend.

Bike
    Am I jealous? Am I jealous? No-way!! YES-Way!! Jealous as heck!!

While you're out and about I am trying, with some difficulty, to encourage a maths class to have some understanding of algebra and make sure that a few realize that it has nothing to do with lingerie...

Thanks for sharing your adventures with Buggsy, looking forward to hearing about your Coromandel adventure.

Bike
    Honda VF750f.
    Mate, you live in the tropics. A tarp will be ample. Im jealous as hell too. Have a blast dude.

Bike
    Yamaha XV250
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Moi View Post
    Am I jealous? Am I jealous? No-way!! YES-Way!! Jealous as heck!!

While you're out and about I am trying, with some difficulty, to encourage a maths class to have some understanding of algebra and make sure that a few realize that it has nothing to do with lingerie...

Thanks for sharing your adventures with Buggsy, looking forward to hearing about your Coromandel adventure.
    How the hell does anyone get an understanding of Algebra?? Apart from looking for solutions by thinking outside the square. Geometry, I can see some logic in. Algebra and Trignometry; no. Do they still issue those Logirithym books?

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by awa355 View Post
    How the hell does anyone get an understanding of Algebra?? Apart from looking for solutions by thinking outside the square. Geometry, I can see some logic in. Algebra and Trignometry; no. Do they still issue those Logirithym books?
    This is low level algebra - intermediate and lower secondary - use if 1 apple costs 30c, then what would 5 apples cost? and change it to 1a=3 so 5a=y, what is 'y'? some see that, others, well they're still struggling with the concept of multiplication!

We actually use algebra in everyday life quite a bit. Geometry is more visible in everyday life, trig is useful for further maths and science... log books?? I used those and a slide rule... nowadays it's scientific calculators but I prefer them to use a more basic one so they have to actually think - there's a challenge!

Lesson over for the day...

Bike
    Yamaha XV250
    Blog Entries

Coromandel weekend. Day One.

Ran away from home on Saturday morning. I had decided that rather than do the whole loop in one lightning fast flash, Buggsy and I would cruise around over two days and have a decent look as we went.

The Waikato weather was light drizzle and fog when we left and stayed that way untill Paeroa. By then my gloves were quite wet, my fancy work provided rainproof overpants weren't. I thought then about pulling the pin untill the next day, but pride shone through and we continued on. By Thames, the fog had gone and the clouds were starting to lighten up. The run up the coast was great. A few stops for photos, like this one. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020158.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	557.5 KB 
ID:	285185
    Every bay that had a boat ramp also had a car park full of vehicles and boat trailers. Also lots of people just surfcasting off the rocks and beaches. Where the road leaves the coast a steady climb took us to this next stop to get a photo looking back over the Hauraki estuary. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020165.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	321.2 KB 
ID:	285188.

Another stop just over the brow of the first climb, and I walked up a hill to get a shot of the ranges looking inland. In this photo there are two tiny dots just below and to the right of the tin haybarn. Two Ducatis winding up the road. They sounded nice. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020167.jpg 
Size:	663.3 KB 
ID:	285189

Coming down the last real drop, I hung a hard left and made my way along the harbour to the Auckland Ferry wharf. A chartered fishing boat was just pulling away with a crowd on board. Someone had apparently left something back in a car. A woman and a man were having a fair old slanging match. God knows what the other passengers were thinking. Back on the road into Coromandel and Buggsy does a sudden lurch into the 309 road. The little buggar loves gravel and he must've known I had been thinking of viewing the Waiau Falls. 8ks along the 309 and just a minutes walk from the road are the falls. Not the biggest in NZ, but a nice spot all the same. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020177.jpg 
Size:	788.1 KB 
ID:	285190

I filled buggsy at the BP station and went for a wander around Coromandel. I have been to Coro before but never ticki toured the streets and side roads. Snapped this pic on the wharf. The harbour was very calm. It was nice to sit and enjoy the quietness. Hardly anyone in sight. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020180.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	376.3 KB 
ID:	285191 I booked a tent site at the camping ground and set up my 'lightweight' camp site. I had wanted to keep the baggage to a minimum so left the tent at home. Next time, I will be packing the tent. A Bivvy bag on a mat under a fly sheet is not the best for July camping. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020181.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	779.8 KB 
ID:	285192. With no room to sit up, nothing much to do after dark, it was a long night. The clouds were threatening rain but cleared away and the rest of the night was cool but lying there looking out at the stars and moon with a Morepork calling, was what the trip was all about. In a thousand years, the stars and moon ( and probably a Morepork) will still be there hopefully for someone else to enjoy the natural wonders.

I will write about day 2 in a following post.

Bike
    Yamaha XV250
    Blog Entries

Coro Day 2.

Through the night I had only slept in bits, so about 6, I made my way to the camp kitchen and knocked up some breakfast. I left packing up untill daylight so I wouldn't leave anything behind. Today I tied the camping rolls along the sides of the scooter so I wouldn't have to untie them each time I went to re fuel. Leaving Coromandel I wound up the long climb into the hills behind the township. This Coro to Whitianga road was new territory to me, and I can see why the road warriors love the 'loop'. At the top is a lookout. I pulled up and with the sun still rising behind me, got a photo looking back over Coromandel.
    This photo is a panorama using 3 photos to give a decent vista. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020187 Stitch.jpg 
Size:	363.5 KB 
ID:	285193

From the lookout the road winds its way down through lots of tight hairpins and curves for about 3 ks. Rain had fallen here before my run and the road surface was shiny and wet. Buggsy still had a ball even while erring on the cautious side. Pirelli might make shit F1 tyres, but their scooter tyres are spot on. I would love to ride the entire loop on a decent sports bike, and will, but the scooter has meant I could look for the scenic side of the ride and I've been more inclined to stop for photo opportunities. Here is a pic of the farmland backing onto the ranges. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020194.jpg 
Size:	497.8 KB 
ID:	285194 This is around the Wangapoua area. Lots of utes parked at the forestry road gates. Either pig hunting or tending the 'crops'.

I diverted into Matarangi which has that 'Auckland owned' look about it. A lovely beach tho. Back on the main road and at Kuaotunu, was another nice beach settlement. Buggsy wanted his picture taken under a Pohutakawa tree. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020205.jpg 
Size:	794.5 KB 
ID:	285195 Just a bit further along was a boat ramp. I wouldn't like to be trailering a big fibreglass gin palace when the wind is up. Those rocks aren't made of rubber. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020207.jpg 
Size:	640.9 KB 
ID:	285196

More lovely corners uphill and down dale before entering Whitanga. I took a few photos of the beach and harbour but the sun was looking at the camera so most did not produce very well. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020210.jpg 
Size:	624.7 KB 
ID:	285197 "Honest officer, thats not me chatting to that girl" .

From here on the country took on a more familiar look. Nothing startling to get a photo of. I did stop and try to capture the ruggedness of the ranges. They might not be the highest or remotest, but still no place for fools to go wandering into. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020218.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	490.3 KB 
ID:	285198

The Hikuai hill was shrouded with rain clouds so it was on with the rain jacket about halfway up. Lots of diesel spills on the corners, so with the wet and those shiny irredescent pools everywhere, we took it easy. From Kopu, it was a boring ride across the Waikato to home. I never did use the petrol I had carried, so I still have two days off before work on Tuesday night. MMM!

Bike
    Assorted British

Smile

Hey Mate, Great report. Thanks for the story and the pics. Have done those Waikato roads and the Coro Loop on my road bike before but have never stopped to take in the scenery or pics you you have, well done.
    What sort of road speed were you able to maintain on the scooter and did you have any hassles with the traffic in general?
    Cheers

Bike
    Honda VF750f.
    Good stuff fella. Great report again. They must be breeding them soft up there now, I just spent 3 nights in below zero conditions around the helen peaks area in a tent fly, and it wasnt too bad.

Bike
    Yamaha MT09 Tracer
    Quote Originally Posted by unstuck View Post
    Good stuff fella. Great report again. They must be breeding them soft up there now, I just spent 3 nights in below zero conditions around the helen peaks area in a tent fly, and it wasnt too bad.
    away hunting cuz? or fencing....

great ride reps awa, those wgtn guys planning a scooter tour could take a leaf outa your book
    'the stickiest situation since sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun'

Cpt Edmund Blackadder

Thread Information