Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Waikato scooter rides?

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Morning awa355, this is my tuppence worth:
    I'm no techno-wizard so no doubt the techs will not understand what I say - hehe...
    Of the two vids, I prefer the SD as it seems cleaner to me - by that, I mean, the image has a sharpness to it due to the colour/contrast being more evident than in the HD vid. The HD vid has a 'softness' - almost as if the image has been waterwashed as you can do in art. The colour/contrast is not as sharp to me. I went to the youtube versions and downloaded both so I could run them side-by-side. I understand that HD does give more info and so allows for better video when enlarged and some I have seem are crystal-clear in HD at fullscreen where as SD can become slightly pixelated in fullscreen mode - this seems to contradict what I said above, however when both seen as same size the SD just had the edge over the HD

All of that aside - I am enjoying the products of your Xmas present... that little pouting paid off!

Cheers,
    Moi

Bike
    Yamaha XV250
    Blog Entries

My King Country ride.

I was determined to do todays ride regardless of the weather, despite waking up to rain on the roof. By 9am it had disappeared and I headed off along Pokuru road to Otorohanga. This ride was going to stay off the state highways as much as possible and to stay on roads best suited for 75 – 80kph speeds. The clouds were low and black, so I expected to be kitting up in the wet gear before too long.

Into Oto, and after the main street, I did a left under the rail over bridge, then right into Old Te Kuiti road. No traffic, plenty of corners. After a couple of road name changes I hit SH3 by the Te Kuiti airstrip. A quick top up of fuel and off out of town heading towards Bennydale. I stopped at the site of the Mangapehi sawmill. This is one of only three houses still standing on this site. My uncle worked here before the 2nd world war and won a number of NZ Axemens chopping records.

Turning right onto the Poro-O-Tarao road I pointed Buggsy towards Wamiha. In the early 1970’s when I travelled this road weekly on the XS650, this road was gravel right through to Wamiha. Now it is sealed and apart from the distintive Tomb in the next picture doesn’t resemble the road I used to know.

Back then I was told that the Tomb was the resting place of an early settler from Europe. Today I saw a plaque that looks fairly genuine, above the door which appears to be a dedication to the local Maori. It is dated 1920. The graves surrounding the Tomb all seem to have headstones belonging to Maori culture.

Just before Wamiha I turned left into the Ongarue Stream road. Back in the 70’s, I worked in a logging gang working a large farmers block of pine. We used a Skagit hauler. Across the Ongarue stream was Endeans mill. They were milling native timber from the state forest in the area. Even for those times, the mill worked with obsolete methods. Sonny Kerehopa would load the timber onto the A7 Bedford by hand, before taking it into the Wamiha rail station and then off loading it onto the rail wagons, again by hand. Once a month, Sonny would take the truck into Bennydale and return loaded with booze. We stayed in an old farm house on the farm and spent many evenings in one of the mill houses drinking with the locals. They were a fantastic bunch. All gone now.

The mill is a photographers delight, broken rusted old trucks and half collapsed buildings. Unfortunately, I only got this one photo before a local farmer appeared from nowhere to rant and rave about the mill site being private property and a $10 donation being required before wandering around. He calmed down after I explained my connection with the area.

Back to Wamiha, I was going to get a pic of the old cinema there but two locals were out front having a knuckle dragging contest in the loose gravel , and after ruffling one lot of feathers , I decided to just push on. The road from here is sealed all the way out to SH4. It is bloody rough though. Sunken, uneven, it was probably the worst piece of road on the days ride. I turned left into Ongarue, then right into the Ongarue back road. This runs roughly parallel with the true left bank of the Ongarue river right into Taumarunui. Gravel for 14k, but in far better condition than the sealed road before the village. I stopped to switch off the Gopro and took this photo of the river.

Just a bit further on and I thought the rail bridge might have some photogenic appeal. Not really, but why put a sign up saying ‘ Trains only ‘ then build a walkway across? Yea, I know, to service the tracks I guess.

This road comes into the back of Taumarunui. A quick fuel up and it was off down the Forgotten highway. The day was mostly cloudy with occasional showers so the photos are not the best.
    " Rule books are for the Guidance of the Wise, and the Obedience of Fools"

Bike
    Yamaha XV250
    Blog Entries

King Country part 2.

My father was raised on the banks of the Wanganui river at a place called Aukopae back in the 1920’s. So this place means a lot to me, especially when currently writing my dads story. River road used to look like this back then.

Somewhat improved today, I pushed on until reaching the site of the old original school site. Nothing here now, but as a five year old, I camped on this spot with my dad back in 1957.

Across the road from this place up on a hill is a white wooden house that my grandfather built in 1926. Nice to see it is still a family home. Down Saddlers road is the site of the Aukopae landing. Can’t see much here, but this was where the settlers met the river boats. Here is looking upstream from the landing site.

From here the road climbs and turns over the saddles untill River road meets SH43.

I used the Gopro along here but was not aware of the mounting having loosened up. I will load a short clip after this post of Buggsy chewing up the hills and killing the corners

Bike
    Yamaha XV250
    Blog Entries

King Country Part 3

Mangaparo road has a lot of patching and resealing at the moment, but this road was new to me so still enjoyable. A lot of sheep farming with dairying moving in.
    10 k’s along and one arrives at Ohura. Obviously a busy day in Ohura.

Found a park outside the local umm, umm local shop.

Ohura is quite interesting to ride around the streets ( yes, they have streets ). My mate used to be the policeman here back in the 90’s. I used to ride with a group from Matamata and we came down one weekend. The guys thought it was quite neat to sleep in the police cell for the night.

The road winds its way to Matiere. Even smaller than Ohura, some neat old buildings give it some charm. I did try to call in at Shafty’s house ( thought someone who owns a Honda would have a flasher house? ), but no one answered. Then I remembered the buggar was away at Wanganui.

Took his advice about the back roads to Aria and had a ball. The gravel roads are well maintained and even on a scooter with 10” wheels I was quite pleased with my average speed.

I can see why Shafty likes living out here, Look at the local talent, ( if blondes are your thing )

Eventually, I was back on tarseal and had a blast into Piopio. I refueled, and what a difference running at a backed off throttle makes to the fuel consumption. From Taumarunui, down River road, Ohura, through the back gravel roads, and only 4 litres.

I was starting to get a bit jaded by now but was determined to finish the route I had set out. Out along the Mairoa road, the rain which had threatened all day arrived, although still nothing like the Met sv had promised. Oparure road is fantastic. Turned into Fullerton rd and the weariness started to set in. This road and the Waitomo Valley roads saw my concentration drop a bit. No drifting across the road but I wasn’t as sharp as earlier in the day. A stop and walk around in Otorohanga did wonders and the back road to Te A was a breeze. All up, 360ks. Not a big mileage on a decent road bike but with about 70 k of gravel and plenty of hills, it was still a work out for a 100cc scooter and for me.

Bike
    Morning, thanks for sharing your ride, 210miles [360km] is a good distance on 10inch wheels!
    The area round Ongarue and that back road to Taumarunui and the road over the top of the Poro-o-tarao rail tunnel has been explored by myself in a car... you need a good map so you don't have to back track so much! The timber/sawmilling and bushrailway/railway history of that area is most interesting - a good book is "The Era of the Bush Tram in New Zealand" by Paul Mahoney.
    Cheers

Bike
    GL1800
    Great write up Awa, and a great ride completed, well done

I have an involvement with the Matiere Cossie Club, and we are most happy for travellers, be they Campervans or adventure (or scooter) riders to camp in our garden bar should they wish

The 3 Clubs in the area do offer great atmosphere, - at Matiere we have full Dining Fri and Sunday, hot bar snacks otherwise, free wi-fi etc etc - and can organise a BBQ etc should there be a group coming thru

Shafty
    "If you haven't grown up by the time you turn 50, you don't have to!"

Bike
    Assorted British
    Great write up and pics AWA. Thanks. I have ridden some of those King Country roads in the past and recognized some of those pics.
    The Forgotten Highway was one of my favourites. Love your little scoot and will look foward to your next adventure.

Cheers

Robbo

Bike
    Yamaha XV250
    Blog Entries
    Tried out the time lapse camera on the Gopro today. Got this pic of Sparrows feeding on the fence. The bird above the hen looks like it is a painting on the white wall. Anyway, I like it. I am playing with ways of recording flying birds in slow motion in video and still formats.

Bike
    Yamaha XV250
    Blog Entries

Just a short run today.

About 9am and I'm thinking to myself, I need to get my act together. Half the summer gone, and the windows still aren't painted, the gates need water blasting and painting, the firewood leanto needs cleaning out, the holes dug by the dog need filling in, the shelf in the kitchen needs putting up, the garden is a mess.

Today is the day I stop procrastinating and start ' doing' So with that I pulled on the jacket and helmet and went for a ride.

Found myself in Cambridge, and decided to have a run up Sanatorium hill. This has deteriated a lot. The road surface has sunken on the inside of many of the corners. I have posted photos from this ride before, and as there was quite a haze across the Waikato, I did not bother taking any pics today. I have however included a you tube clip of the ride up the hill.

Even with a pultry 6hp on tap, I still had to pull up on some of the tighter corners. Got home about lunchtime, by then it was getting too hot to start any jobs so that will all have to wait untill my next days off.

Bike
    Yamaha XV250
    Blog Entries

The Waingaro Ride.

The first day off after a shit week at work so it was ‘ blow out time ‘. Filled up Buggsy and the spare fuel container then set my sights for Te Pahu. I was going to follow the back roads to the Raglan road.

I had the GoPro camera on the scooter but decided to leave it switched off untill Ohautira road. So, just out of Te Awamutu, I’m cruising down Frontier rd when a Harrier Hawk lifts off from the road verge. Instead of flying away from the road, the bird turns in front of me and for about 30 metres it flys maybe three metres in front of me at approximately handle bar height. It was so close and with the sun on it was a stunning sight. If the camera had have been running, it would have made a fantastic clip. Although I don’t have it on video, it is one of those moments that will always stay with me until uncle Alziemers comes calling.

Just before Te Pahu I spied this little massy fergie in the paddock. No real reason to photograph it but I have always had a soft spot for these tractors from my early days.

Just past Te Pahu Buggsy turned into Whitaker road. Some nice scenes through here, but the hillsides are starting to get that brown look about them. We have had some rain but nowhere enough yet. A left into Limeworks Loop road then a right into Waitetuna Valley road. This turns to quite rough gravel as it climbs up a steep ridge. Stopping part way up I took this photo looking back towards Pirongia.

After the drop down the other side the road became a lot smoother and soon we were back on tarseal for the last few k’s out to the Raglan road. Along this route then right into Ohautira road. Very popular with the local hoons this is premo bike country. The first five or six k’s have some short sections of road repairs ( in progress ) and Buggsy’s 10” rims found deeper potholes than most bikes would notice.

The tide was in and the first chance for a photo of the upper Raglan harbour came about 10 k along the road. This next photo came from my new LG phone, it has a panaramic mode on the camera so I gave it a try.

I had used my regular camera first then thought about the cell phone, so put my camera on a post top and took the above picture. Back on the scooter and away. At the Waingaro Landing road I decided to head down and see what was at the end. I envisaged sitting on an old pier eating my sandwiches and drinking tea while gazing out over a tranquil harbour setting.

That idea went out the window. The grass down the centre of the road was higher than in the paddocks. The track ends at a locked gate.

It was there that I reached for the camera when the penny dropped. It was still back on that fence post. Buggar! Nothing for it but to back track and get it. This is a short vid of the ride back out Landing road. It's not clear but the basic Gopro apparently needs lights of sunlight.

The camera was still there. This added about an extra 12k’s there and back. Still, the road is worth riding any number of times, so no real hardship there. Back to the Landing road and on with the ride.

Ohautira becomes the Waingaro road at the junction of Highway 22. This is lovely cruising country, Small streams come off the hills and trickle alongside the road as it twists and turns. At Glen Massey I pulled up at the small school and had a cup of tea and ate my sandwiches. Not sure why I bothered to snap a shot of the school, but the old wooden country schools have a character and sense of stability about them that the new glass and stone buildings never will.

From here It was mainly a boring ride back through Ngaruawahia and the villages of Te Kowhia and Whatwhata.

A neat ride and beats working on the section.

Bike
    Honda VF750f.
    Good work mate, I love those tractors too. Did a little bit of fencing and spraying around there in the early 80,s so cheers for the memories.
    For a man is a slave to whatever has mastered him. Keep an open mind, just dont let your brains fall out.

Bike
    GL1800
    Another goodie Awa
    "If you haven't grown up by the time you turn 50, you don't have to!"

Bike
    Yamaha XV250
    Blog Entries

Buggsy Singing

Here's Buggsy singing a song as we cruised the Waingaro road as part of my previous ride report.

He has a fairly high pitched voice so you may want to cut the volume back. I have been playing with the Gopro studio2 editing programme and have got the exposure and tint setting wrong, but WTF, its fun learning. Riding the scooter, the engine noise is barely audiable. The camera mic makes the exhaust note far louder.

Bike
    Honda VF750f.
    Good stuff, practice makes perfect and all that. As long as your having fun, who cares.

Keep up the good work.
    For a man is a slave to whatever has mastered him. Keep an open mind, just dont let your brains fall out.

Bike
    Another road for exploring sometime in your neck-of-the-woods....

Buggsy's a countertenor... needs a tenor and baritone to join him!

Cheers

Thread Information