Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Riding with the visor up always is it a no-no?

Bike
    bandit
    Waddarya .. a gurl ??? Oh wait ...
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    2006 c50 uncle bully
    tour pro ffm...good helmet but fuck it's weird with the visor down...feel really disconnected to road and surroundings so took it off and use safety glasses instead...eating bugs saves on stopping for dinner...i remember years ago coming into hunterville when i did have a visor, early evening and a puriri moth the size of a small football covered almost the whole visor (rendering it useless).
    so moral of the story...damned if you do and damned if you dont...

Bike
    2007 Triumph Thruxton
    I used to ride with my visor up quite a lot until - (without shades on ) i got hit in the eye by a bee. It looked like i'd pissed off Mike Tyson haha and the cornea was scratched which led to an infection...well, never again. That shit hurt for ages!

Bike
    Kwaka
    I have an HJC and keep it down habitually. I open it slightly if it starts to fog but having been stung in the cheekbone by a stone I prefer a pain-free ride.

Lots of comments about bees, funnily enough, the only time I've had a bee attack was with the visor down. Little bugger flew into one of the tiny air holes on top of the helmet and worked his way to my face. Panic panic panic!!!
    "This is not a car."

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Rode home through a Biblical down pour yesterday accompanied by crescendos of thunder & lightning. The rain drops were that heavy I could feel them battering my jacket & legs like paint balls. Their was that much water coming out of the mangroves on one section that I lost traction on a school of mullet. Awesome stuff!
    The inside of my visor had as much water running down as the out side, so I had to lift it up. Fully open at 80kmh was like being bead blasted, closed or partially open was riding by touch, most other vehicles on the road had not turned on their lights... I compromised at half open & a Gollum like neck bend, I could see a bit & it only hurt a bit.
    Still, better than a heavy frost inside & outside the visor & you can't blink coz your eyes have frozen. I miss Scottish weather, yeah right.

The day before I had been looking at an Airoh S4 adventure helmet, peaked & with a very v shaped visor. Despite other things on my mind at the time I wondered if that visor shape & a peak would have performed better or just performing would be better, in those conditions? My current lid is a full face Caberg. Pretty standard shape.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    06 Honda 919-79 T140E Triumph 96 Guzzi
    Riding home from work the other day I noticed an unusual dark cloud coming at me in the centre of the road. I generally ride with the visor up a notch to keep the air fresh and provide some defogging, but seconds before it hit me of what was about hit me, an instinctive reaction had me tap the visor down. LARGE BEE SWARM! Don't know if they were wild, but i'm sure a few were after bouncing off my visor and windshield

Another earthly experience on the Canterbury plains I had a massive dragonfly around 10cm wide hover in front of my visor. We eyeballed each other for a moment. was unreal, then it hit me..yes first thing to go through it's head was it's arse. Man what a bloody mess that was to clean off the visor and helmet.

Only bee strike iv'e had was one go down that tiny little gap between the leathers sleeve and the summer gloves, and got stung on the clutch arm
    "If you ever need anything please don’t hesitate to ask someone else first.”

Anyhoo don't forget to add to calendar 19th May, 27th July, and 31 August.
    World whisky day, International whisky day, and Scotch whisky day.

Bike
    Dont have one now
    I like having the visor up as much as possible, always wear prescription sunnies or prescription glasses. I usually close the visor once doing 60-70kmh.

A downside of riding with it open is that it gets road grime and/or salt (riding near marine environment) on the inside of the visor which fucks with visibility when night riding. Hard to clean off too

Thread Information