Thread: Painting exhaust headers?

Bike
    1990 Honda CBR250RR MC22

Painting exhaust headers?

Hi guys,

Recently took the side fairings of my 91 cbr250rr mc22 and am liking the naked side look. Just wondering what I'd need to do to get the exhaust headers and pipe painted as I'm getting a new slip on and am wanting everything to look the part.

Cheers

Bike
    2015 HD Street 500
    Quote Originally Posted by eSOL View Post
    Hi guys,

Recently took the side fairings of my 91 cbr250rr mc22 and am liking the naked side look. Just wondering what I'd need to do to get the exhaust headers and pipe painted as I'm getting a new slip on and am wanting everything to look the part.

Cheers
    VHT exhaust paint. there are many colours to choose from. read instructions carefully, and ensure you prep the pipes well before starting.
    I use it each year on my XS11 headers, matt black, takes three heat cycles to cure, and will last a good 12 months of hard use.
    Just remeber when cleaning the bike to use a soft rag on the pipe when cold to remove road scum, or it will scratch.
    Cost ? About $30
    To be old and wise, first you must be young and stupid.

Bike
    '87 GSX750SF Katana, 08 Cagiva Raptor
    Make sure you get VHT paint rated for as high as you can possibly find. Those exhaust headers get mighty hot.

Bike
    1990 Honda CBR250RR MC22

Exhaust header painting

Thanks for the replies guy. Will pop out to the store and pick up some village vht exhaust paint. Question about the prep. Would it just be a matter of sanding the headers back and painting them? Or would I need more if any than just sanding it.

Bike
    Yamaha XJR1300
    I found the VHT range from Supercheap auto to be surprisingly good. Rated to 650degrees which will do the job.
    I've been using it on the headers of my track car for 6 years and not had an issue. Prep is basically a good clean and a spray with brake cleaner to remove any oil residue, couldn't be easier. Others may have different ideas re-prep but in my eyes 6 years of trouble free service is just fine. That said I have given it a couple of re-coats to cover up scratches once a year or so.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	57.1 KB 
ID:	280975
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Bike
    TF125
    Use a wire brush on te headers if they have corrosion on them rather than sandpaper. A hand brush should do the job fine.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Madness View Post
    Use a wire brush on te headers if they have corrosion on them rather than sandpaper. A hand brush should do the job fine.
    Thas what I do every few years then a quick wipe with meths or white spirit & a liberal application of pot black. Jobs a carrot. I do it for protection rather than looks & the paint lasts fine everywhere except the welds on the Y section where the headers join. That lasts a couple of years.
    That VHC sounds a better product than what I use too.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Triumph Saint,Triumph Adventurer
    Remove the headers and have them creme coated.

It will look like brushed alloy and a hell of a lot better than VHT could ever hope to plus it will last the life time of your headers.
    Look at Custom Chambers web site for details under their links page for Creme coat.

Bike
    2010 Predator
    Yer could get them ceramic coated..... Sort of like a dull chrome...but easy to clean up.
    Here's the 1300's headers..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	62020018.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	224.5 KB 
ID:	281698  

Thread Information