Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Repainting tank on GN250?

Bike
    Nothing :(
    Blog Entries

Repainting tank on GN250?

I want to re-paint the tank on my gn250.

Would I follow the instructions as in this link? http://www.wikihow.com/Paint-a-Motorcycle-Tank

I don't have a sandblaster, I will need to do it by hand. Can someone please recommend some sandpaper grades (waterproof is it?) to start with and what to work my way up to? Do I need anything else other than this, to remove existing paint work i.e. some kind of stripper?

Recommend me a primer (if I need one?) Can I get anything from http://www.supercheapauto.co.nz ??

Base paint. Where can I get this? I do want blank but thought it would be nice to have something with a slight glittery effect, not just dead black. But I don't know where to get this? Suggestions please?

Clear Coat. Again is this something I can get from http://www.supercheapauto.co.nz ?? I thought if I am going to do clear coat maybe I will do one layer, put some decals on the tank then do another 2-3 layers, thoughts?

I'm stuck with my bike for at least another year so want to do something with it to make it a little bit different......

Appreciate any product recommendations please!
    Becoming fearless isn't the point. That's impossible. It's learning how to control your fear, and how to be free from it.

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    Quote Originally Posted by bosslady View Post
    I want to re-paint the tank on my gn250.

Would I follow the instructions as in this link? http://www.wikihow.com/Paint-a-Motorcycle-Tank

I don't have a sandblaster, I will need to do it by hand. Can someone please recommend some sandpaper grades (waterproof is it?) to start with and what to work my way up to? Do I need anything else other than this, to remove existing paint work i.e. some kind of stripper?
    Use stripper, because strippers are lovely.
    Recommend me a primer (if I need one?) Can I get anything from http://www.supercheapauto.co.nz ??
    I'd go with a high build primer over the top of an etch primer if you've taken it to bare steel.
    Base paint. Where can I get this? I do want blank but thought it would be nice to have something with a slight glittery effect, not just dead black. But I don't know where to get this? Suggestions please?
    Supersheep will do base colours in both rattle cans and in tins (use a paint gun, or a brush for teh epic win rustic look to pull da bitches)

Clear Coat. Again is this something I can get from http://www.supercheapauto.co.nz ?? I thought if I am going to do clear coat maybe I will do one layer, put some decals on the tank then do another 2-3 layers, thoughts?
    You can also get clear from teh supersheeps that'll work with their colours, which is handy. Decals, then clear. MSTRS on here does good work with decals, I've got my last set from him for a good price and they're bad-ass

I'm stuck with my bike for at least another year so want to do something with it to make it a little bit different......

Appreciate any product recommendations please!
    You may notice when you take the Suzuki badges off that there's an uber ugly mount for the badges under it and you'll want to bog it I suppose. Supersheeple carry many different flavours of bog and it'll only take a small tin. The blade putty/spot putty works well, just etch prime before laying it down and do several thin layers of it.

Sent from the place where I'm amazing and stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Alloy, stainless and Ti polishing.
    Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ducatilover View Post
    Use stripper, because strippers are lovely.
    Will that even do much or should I just get busy with sanding? Can you recommend a brand or type or anything?

I'd go with a high build primer over the top of an etch primer if you've taken it to bare steel.
    If I'm going to just do another black over it anyway, do I need to sand right down to the steel and then prime it? Or can I just sand the clear coat off, spray this other black paint over the top then do my clear coat and decals etc.

Supersheep will do base colours in both rattle cans and in tins (use a paint gun, or a brush for teh epic win rustic look to pull da bitches)
    No access to a paint gun, I will have to use a spray can or whatever, thought I might try and find a nice colour with a bit of glitter in it but I don't know where to get that

You can also get clear from teh supersheeps that'll work with their colours, which is handy. Decals, then clear. MSTRS on here does good work with decals, I've got my last set from him for a good price and they're bad-ass
    Recommend me a product lol, there are so many!!

You may notice when you take the Suzuki badges off that there's an uber ugly mount for the badges under it and you'll want to bog it I suppose. Supersheeple carry many different flavours of bog and it'll only take a small tin. The blade putty/spot putty works well, just etch prime before laying it down and do several thin layers of it.
    I think my flatmate has some bog, but can't I just put a decal over it do you think?

What is etch prime?
    Becoming fearless isn't the point. That's impossible. It's learning how to control your fear, and how to be free from it.

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    Will that even do much or should I just get busy with sanding? Can you recommend a brand or type or anything?
    Stripper should just eat the paint, Tergo does a reasonably good one at about $25-30 for a bottle and I think you can get some other brands at superpleeb

If I'm going to just do another black over it anyway, do I need to sand right down to the steel and then prime it? Or can I just sand the clear coat off, spray this other black paint over the top then do my clear coat and decals etc.
    I would think the paints would react with each other and you'll end up with orange peel Click image for larger version. 

Name:	14.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	76.8 KB 
ID:	280973 which IMO looks worse than bleeding dicks

No access to a paint gun, I will have to use a spray can or whatever, thought I might try and find a nice colour with a bit of glitter in it but I don't know where to get that
    Might as well paint it a cool colour? Black is sooooo civil war.
    Recommend me a product lol, there are so many!!
    They do a range of automotive acrylic lacquers, which are the easiest to get a decent finish from because you can sand and polish the fuck out of them.

I think my flatmate has some bog, but can't I just put a decal over it do you think?
    The decal will sag in to the recesses of the tank mount and look similar to bleeding dicks

What is etch prime?
    Etch primer is what you generally use on bare steel to seal it (no, not that kind of seal!)

Sent from a place without orange peel
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    Blog Entries
    I'm concerned for you. You appear to have considerable experience with bleeding dicks.

Will see how I go at the paint shop today. I thought black with some kind of silver shiny glitter on it? If I do anything else I thought maybe it won't match the skulls and shit on there? Won't look bad ass enough. Unless you can quickly recommend any other colours for me?

Bike
    Its a Boat
    I'm concerned for you. You appear to have considerable experience with bleeding dicks.

Will see how I go at the paint shop today. I thought black with some kind of silver shiny glitter on it? If I do anything else I thought maybe it won't match the skulls and shit on there? Won't look bad ass enough. Unless you can quickly recommend any other colours for me?
    Tell them what you want and get a test card done...candy apple red with gold (or white) pearl mmmmmmmm

Bike
    Windle, MoBuilt, Fireblade, RS250, FZR4

you can buy a brand new GN250 tank, painted, pinstriped and with new badges for 150.00 NZ on tardme..

prob the same you will spend on a can or two of primer, a can or two of rattle black, sandpaper, degreaser/meths, and the hours you put in trying to get it looking half decent..

2 cents of opinion for ya

Failing that I have had good results from actual Auto paintshops.. you go in there, look through their catalogues of paints.. find a wicked color or make your own color up (ie black mixed with a gold fleck or something) - they will brew up the mix and then put it into a spray can for you (Colour Connection, Dunedin) and you can also buy little attachments that click onto the spraycan so you have a handle and a trigger so you can use it like a paint gun.. good for getting nice even smooth coats.. and less paint on your hands.
    these custom filled rattle cans from Colour Connection are 30 buck a pop.. and thats for a base coat/clear coat.. so you have to buy a can of clear as well.. BUT they are massive cans, prob 1.5-2 times the size of ur repco or warehouse shite.. and its proper paint.

Bike
    TF125
    Flames.

That is all.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie View Post
    you can buy a brand new GN250 tank, painted, pinstriped and with new badges for 150.00 NZ on tardme..

prob the same you will spend on a can or two of primer, a can or two of rattle black, sandpaper, degreaser/meths, and the hours you put in trying to get it looking half decent..

2 cents of opinion for ya

Failing that I have had good results from actual Auto paintshops.. you go in there, look through their catalogues of paints.. find a wicked color or make your own color up (ie black mixed with a gold fleck or something) - they will brew up the mix and then put it into a spray can for you (Colour Connection, Dunedin) and you can also buy little attachments that click onto the spraycan so you have a handle and a trigger so you can use it like a paint gun.. good for getting nice even smooth coats.. and less paint on your hands.
    these custom filled rattle cans from Colour Connection are 30 buck a pop.. and thats for a base coat/clear coat.. so you have to buy a can of clear as well.. BUT they are massive cans, prob 1.5-2 times the size of ur repco or warehouse shite.. and its proper paint.
    Problem with that is that I buy a $150 tank, new, but it still has all the f*cking pinstripes/stickers and shit on it which have been clear coated over, that's what I want to get rid of it makes my shitty bike look shitt-ier. I also don't want the badges on it either, I'm going to take them off, put bogs in the holes that will be left over, I guess, and put decals over the top.

Quote Originally Posted by Madness View Post
    Flames.

That is all.
    As in, flame decals? Do you think this will make my bike go faster?

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Maha View Post
    Tell them what you want and get a test card done...candy apple red with gold (or white) pearl mmmmmmmm
    I don't know if that will go with all the skulls on my bike though, I thought skulls might be funny.

Bike
    Its a Boat

No, but it will make you look like a feminist.

Bike
    TF125
    Well I wasn't suggesting you set fire to eet

I'd be more inclined to have them airbrushed prior to a clear coat. The tanks that Fast Edward eluded to are pretty inexpensive, if it were me I'd buy one & give it to a professional like Crazefox down in Wellington to do a proper flame job to, maybe even some ghosted skulls. That way you can still ride your bike whilst the work is being done and when it comes time to sell you're not limiting yourself to potential buyers who share your taste in customization.

P.S I don't think it will make your bike go faster, I know it will

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi

I'm a knob hound with a cheese grater, so yes.

Black/silver will work well for some sweet-ass skullz. You'll be cooler than penguin flaps.

Sent from somewhere sick and sad

Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Madness View Post
    Well I wasn't suggesting you set fire to eet

I'd be more inclined to have them airbrushed prior to a clear coat. The tanks that Fast Edward eluded to are pretty inexpensive, if it were me I'd buy one & give it to a professional like Crazefox down in Wellington to do a proper flame job to, maybe even some ghosted skulls. That way you can still ride your bike whilst the work is being done and when it comes time to sell you're not limiting yourself to potential buyers who share your taste in customization.

P.S I don't think it will make your bike go faster, I know it will
    I'd love to get something custom and airbrushed however I'm too poor also my bike isn't that great don't think I'd get much for it no matter what customisations were on it, lol. $150 isn't much for a tank but still a lot for me. I can't ride this weekend any way and probably won't need/want to until next Friday night when I have to ride down to Taupo.

Bike
    TF125
    also my bike isn't that great don't think I'd get much for it no matter what customisations were on it, lol.
    Rule of thumb is that customizations usually detract from resale value, rather than increase. Do a cheap job & you'll save $ in the short-term but you'll likely end up losing more come sale time. Having the original tank available still should you decide to go a bit mad with skulls, etc will pay the $150 back when you come to sell eet IMO.

Thread Information