Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IAM free observed rides, Christchurch

Bike
    2012 Striple

IAM free observed rides, Christchurch

Hi All,

Following on the heels of our series of successful meet ups, the Institute of Advanced Motorists are offering further free observed rides or drives to anyone who would like to know more about the IAM and 'Roadcraft' System of vehicle control Based on the UK Police Driving System. This is proven around the world to reduce risk when driving making those who use it safer drivers/riders.

You can go out with a trained observer for a ride or drive for about 30-40 minutes and get constructive feedback on ways you may be able to improve your riding or driving. This is informal and not any kind of test!
    We are also available to pop along to your local club meets to give a brief overview of our methods.

Meet us at Coffee Culture at the Beckenham shops at 140 Columbo Street Chch , or Hampton Motorcycles SH1 from 10am to 12 noon
    Sunday 28th April……..Coffee Culture
    Saturday 25th May……Hampton Motorcycles
    Sunday 30th June……..Coffee Culture
    Saturday 27th July……..Hampton Motorcycles.

If you want to ensure an observed run then contact us back on this email address canterburyiam@gmail.com

Please turn up in or on a road legal vehicle that you a licenced to drive/ride other wise we are sorry but we can't take you out'

Regards
    Duncan Seed
    Chairman IAM Canterbury
    021 734 484

Bike
    2012 Striple
    Just for clarity....a full driving licence is required not learner, preferably with 1-2 years experience on a full ticket.
    Please turn up in or on a road legal vehicle that you a licenced to drive/ride other wise we are sorry but we can't take you out.

Bike
    YZF-R6
    Could have replied to my questions on the previous thread rather than starting a new one.

What is the point in that, there would be far more learner and restricted riders that would gain from this, sure some experience may be necessary but the amount of actual experience needed for a full license is far less than the experience I already have, is it not possible to get your license and not ride again until your tests? How many ride year round, or even during weekdays?
    To base experience on an arbitrary qualification is bullshit.
    I no longer want your advice for the same reason I didn't wait the required 2 years before I bought and ride a supersport (and well over 6months/10000k later I'm still alive and the bike is undamaged) I'm sure I can download the UK police roadcraft manual from PirateBay, and I'll give a proper training school a call, thanks for wasting my time waiting over a month for your reply. (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...s-Christchurch)

Bike
    YZF-R6
    oops, double post

Bike
    Blandit 1200, DRZ250 K, Beta xtrainer
    Quote Originally Posted by Mushu View Post
    Could have replied to my questions on the previous thread rather than starting a new one.

What is the point in that, there would be far more learner and restricted riders that would gain from this, sure some experience may be necessary but the amount of actual experience needed for a full license is far less than the experience I already have, is it not possible to get your license and not ride again until your tests? How many ride year round, or even during weekdays?
    To base experience on an arbitrary qualification is bullshit.
    I no longer want your advice for the same reason I didn't wait the required 2 years before I bought and ride a supersport (and well over 6months/10000k later I'm still alive and the bike is undamaged) I'm sure I can download the UK police roadcraft manual from PirateBay, and I'll give a proper training school a call, thanks for wasting my time waiting over a month for your reply. (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...s-Christchurch)
    Well there is the openminded approach that is really going to help you learn as a rider. Myself, I will be there weather permitting. Free advice from people that know, sounds like a deal to me!

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Forecast looking good, see you there.

Quote Originally Posted by SVboy View Post
    Well there is the openminded approach that is really going to help you learn as a rider. Myself, I will be there weather permitting. Free advice from people that know, sounds like a deal to me!

Bike
    Blandit 1200, DRZ250 K, Beta xtrainer
    Cant be there tomorrow after all: however my experiences with Duncan mean I will try for next time.

Bike
    blackbird,africa twin,xt600,xt 600tenere
    Well worth a ride with duncan...your never too old to learn stuff...apart from mushu who obviously knows everything about riding.....

Bike
    YZF-R6
    Quote Originally Posted by thepom View Post
    Well worth a ride with duncan...your never too old to learn stuff...apart from mushu who obviously knows everything about riding.....
    I'm sorry, do you know me? Have you even read this thread? (and the other one I linked to above with the exact same subject).

My problem was with a miscommunication with stormeruk (not Duncan) over the fact I wanted to do the training but wasn't provided the information I needed to do with license requirements and so on. I have met with Duncan and bought a copy of Police roadcraft handbook (not having a full license I can't do the free training).

Maybe you have a comprehension problem... where in my above posts do I say anything about being too good for training, why would I have been looking at this thread, much less posting in it if I thought I was too good for training?

Sent from my XT535 using Tapatalk 2

Bike
    Old Blue, Little blue
    If only they had this in Perth. Any observers over here?

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Doh. That must have been you guys on Sunday. I do intend to do this at some point.

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by SPman View Post
    If only they had this in Perth. Any observers over here?
    You're not the only one in Perth asking that - I've had several people from there contact me. The answer is sorry, no IAM Australia at all. UK, NZ and Ireland are the strong ones. There are some others but no idea what they're up to. Interestingly, some of the top riding gurus in the USA are looking at it because of their generally crap rider training.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    You're not the only one in Perth asking that - I've had several people from there contact me. The answer is sorry, no IAM Australia at all. UK, NZ and Ireland are the strong ones. There are some others but no idea what they're up to. Interestingly, some of the top riding gurus in the USA are looking at it because of their generally crap rider training.
    interesting because if you frequent any US based motorcycle forums they rave on about getting a/doing a MSF course. And buying a GSXR1000 as a first bike..
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    interesting because if you frequent any US based motorcycle forums they rave on about getting a/doing a MSF course. And buying a GSXR1000 as a first bike..
    Indeed they do! I have some contact with US motorcycle safety author David Hough and both he and others are scathing about MSF which is highly influenced by bike dealers and manufacturers. More to do with bums on seats than quality training and that's why David, Pat Hahn, Keith Code and others are looking at high quality roadcraft programmes. They have several working groups looking at the issue right now.

Bike
    2012 Striple
    Hi All,

Following on from our series of successful meet ups, the Institute of Advanced Motorists are offering further free observed rides or drives to anyone who would like to know more about the IAM and 'Roadcraft' System of vehicle control Based on the UK Police Driving System. This is proven around the world to reduce risk when driving making those who use it safer drivers/riders.

You can go out with a trained observer for a ride or drive for about 30-40 minutes and get constructive feedback on ways you may be able to improve your riding or driving. This is informal and not any kind of test!
    We are also available to pop along to your local club meets to give a brief overview of our methods.

Meet us at Coffee Culture at the Beckenham shops at 140 Columbo Street Chch , or Hampton Motorcycles SH1 from 9am to 11am.
    Sunday 25th August……..Coffee Culture
    Saturday 21st September……Hampton Motorcycles
    Sunday 27th October……..Coffee Culture

If you want to ensure an observed run then contact us back on this email address canterburyiam@gmail.com

Please turn up in or on a road legal vehicle that you a licenced to drive/ride other wise we are sorry but we can't take you out.

Regards
    Duncan Seed
    Chairman IAM Canterbury
    021 734 484

Thread Information