Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I've got an aftermarket exhaust. How to replace jets and unifilter installation?

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragon View Post
    Brand new air filter
    Brand new plugs

I even pulled up the below to confirm I was reading the plugs right

http://suzukitu250x.blogspot.co.nz/2...our-plugs.html

on 91 read it as hot/lean

95 reads ok - cold/rich

no idea whats going on but again id rather run 95 and have it run rich then hear it pink at high rpm
    That link isn't telling you shit This, however, is good http://www.4secondsflat.com/Spark_plug_reading.html

If you're running lean or hot, I'd say your plug temp was wrong for the set up, which means something needs to be changed.
    Jetting and mixture settings.
    Dirty slides.
    Plug gaps.
    Plug leads
    Valve clearances
    Exhaust leaks.
    Ignition timing (but it's non adjustable on a GSX, unless you slot the timing pick up holes and I doubt this'll fix the actual issue)

Does the bike pop and fart when you get off the gas at high revs and engine brake?

91/95 does not change you air fuel ratio, what you're seeing is (if it's actually pinking) the 95's ability to resist pinking.

Ninja edit:
    Have you synced the carbs? If not, do this first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Alloy, stainless and Ti polishing.
    Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    2014 Honda CBR500R ABS
    Quote Originally Posted by ducatilover View Post
    That link isn't telling you shit This, however, is good http://www.4secondsflat.com/Spark_plug_reading.html

If you're running lean or hot, I'd say your plug temp was wrong for the set up, which means something needs to be changed.
    Jetting and mixture settings.
    Dirty slides.
    Plug gaps.
    Plug leads
    Valve clearances
    Exhaust leaks.
    Ignition timing (but it's non adjustable on a GSX, unless you slot the timing pick up holes and I doubt this'll fix the actual issue)

Does the bike pop and fart when you get off the gas at high revs and engine brake?

91/95 does not change you air fuel ratio, what you're seeing is (if it's actually pinking) the 95's ability to resist pinking.

Ninja edit:
    Have you synced the carbs? If not, do this first.
    Am using Factory spec plugs havent changed heat range however so may look into it

Plug gaps are good, plug leads may need looking at however so will pull them off and test resistance when I get a chance

No popping or farting at all on either 91/95

I've never been that involved with carbs

Cant find any exhaust leaks, carb setting etc and valve clearences all got done recently (its been doing it since I got it)

no difference in power bike runs fine just hear pinking at higher revs while on 91 unless im imagining it

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    no difference in power bike runs fine just hear pinking at higher revs while on 91 unless im imagining it
    What percentage of your riding time is at "Higher Revs" .. ??
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    1990 Honda CBR250RR MC22
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    What percentage of your riding time is at "Higher Revs" .. ??
    So just looking at a unifilter on ebay ($60 holy shit). Picked up some jets from the trademe guy.

Anyone know if the motorcycle doc would be ok with installing them? Or can recommend a place to have these installed?

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by eSOL View Post
    So just looking at a unifilter on ebay ($60 holy shit). Picked up some jets from the trademe guy.

Anyone know if the motorcycle doc would be ok with installing them? Or can recommend a place to have these installed?
    What indications or facts do you have ... as to the actual sized jets you require. Even if the size is just a guess ... is it just your guess, or somebody that has re-jetted a bike with the same modifications .. ???

And after fitting said jets ... what tests do you intend to do/get done to confirm it is the correct jet sizes .. ??
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    1990 Honda CBR250RR MC22
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    What indications or facts do you have ... as to the actual sized jets you require. Even if the size is just a guess ... is it just your guess, or somebody that has re-jetted a bike with the same modifications .. ???

And after fitting said jets ... what tests do you intend to do/get done to confirm it is the correct jet sizes .. ??
    Have been searching the net and came up with this on http://mootavic.olilolo.com/mods/tune.html

Will probably get the carbs cleaned(not sure if they need to be rebalance as i just had that done a few weeks before i got the slip on exhaust) and adjust the fuel mix judging by what ive found online.

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    Quote Originally Posted by eSOL View Post

$60 is cheap.
    Yes, the motorcycle doc will probably do it in his sleep. But you need to work out exactly how much of a change you need in jetting

Am using Factory spec plugs havent changed heat range however so may look into it

Plug gaps are good, plug leads may need looking at however so will pull them off and test resistance when I get a chance

No popping or farting at all on either 91/95

I've never been that involved with carbs

Cant find any exhaust leaks, carb setting etc and valve clearences all got done recently (its been doing it since I got it)

Just run it on 95 then, costs bugger all more
    If you're getting little tiny white or silver flecks on your plugs, then it's pinking.
    You could be imagining it though because the ignition timing is backed off in the higher revs, I'd say it'd be more likely to pink under load at mid-way in the rev range
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Alloy, stainless and Ti polishing.
    Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Thread Information