Page 12 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: RG - Extensive clean

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Just make a longer torque arm for the rear caliper and mount it to the standard position. Fuck welding shit to a swingarm, I like to know that sort of thing is still nice and strong.

Bike
    2007 ktm 300exc
    Or you could make a carrier that slides on to the swing arm , think of it as a U shape with the axle through the center . Some dirt/ enduro bikes had this set as it makes for quick easy rear wheel removal.

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Quote Originally Posted by ktm84mxc View Post
    Or you could make a carrier that slides on to the swing arm , think of it as a U shape with the axle through the center . Some dirt/ enduro bikes had this set as it makes for quick easy rear wheel removal.
    Fuck how easy it is to change a wheel. On a road bike that I was using the rear brake on, I wouldn't advise to do away with the torque arm. Brake action causes the swingarm to try and rotate in the direction of the wheel. Effectively trying to compress the suspension. It promotes the rear of the bike stepping out on the way into corners.

Cool if you wanna impress people with your 'backing it in' skills, not so much if you like your bike lots and want to keep it shiny like.

Bike
    I just lost count
    So the FXR is being sold to finance all this shit.

Or did your wife finally stumble onto this thread (and the others) and you need the cash for the medical bills after she beat the shit out of you.

For the record Qkkid was in my bed, not the other way round

Quote Originally Posted by Yow Ling View Post
    Pumba is a wise man.

Bike
    2014 BMW G650GS
    Thanks for the informative and highly entertaining thread.

Bike
    Katana 1135, RG500, GSXR1100, KX250
    Quote Originally Posted by Pumba View Post
    So the FXR is being sold to finance all this shit.

Or did your wife finally stumble onto this thread (and the others) and you need the cash for the medical bills after she beat the shit out of you.
    Pumba,

You could have been paid by my misses to ask this question.
    The correct answer is "Dear seems you have been spending too much again", " what have I said about the cost of those women hygiene products?" shaking my head " they cost too much!@#!"

"Don't worry honey, I will sell the FXR to pay back your excessive spending", "I will do this for the family!" "That is the sort of man I am!"

Short answer "YES"
    One for the road...
    Kat1230 (81), GSXR1100 (86), RG500 (86)
    The 80`s - Back in the days when men looked like women, women dressed like whores and the music F@#KING ROCKED!

Bike
    Been a busy weekend. Had to work ALL day Saturday for free.
    Now that made me want 1 or 15 beers at the end of the day.

Not much else to report... Oh nearly forgot to mention just purchased a RZV500R .... wifes not talking to me but it make it easier to hear the radio. Sex is better too... don't have to listens to her moaning and shit. So the NO talky thing is working.

Mean while... a new beer has been brewed. AND a little work on the RG after all that is what this thread is about.

Both rims in.
    Just need spacers and I am good to go.

For the no mechanical skills, dumb ass, I needed to install bearings in to the rims. How would you do this?

1) Freeze the bearings for like 2hrs
    2) Use heat gun to heat the hub that you are about to install the bearing
    3)Have a socket ready the same size of the outside of the bearing, you want to install it evenly.
    4) Place socket on top of bearing, hit with hammer.
    5) Drink beer

There you go a quick lesson on installing bearing on anything. Hot to expand and cold to shrink.... sounds like my nob.

Its got new feet and I like them.
    One for the road...
    The 80`s - Back in the days when men looked like women, women dressed like whores and the music F@#KING ROCKED!

Bike
    Hmmm... seems no one noticed the new calipers.
    Yep these are the new puppies, very excited, as are the forks. I could not wait to see how they would look.
    Must be that same after a boob job, you would have to be hanging to see what they look like.
    The anticipation would be the same also.... will they look good or a complete f#ck up?
    Will they work better? Will they give positive feed back or feel old and spongy and a complete waste of money?

It is often said, give up on the old shit and just get something newer... and here I am...
    One for the road...

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Quote Originally Posted by Arronduke View Post
    Must be that same after a boob job, you would have to be hanging to see what they look like.
    The anticipation would be the same also.... will they look good or a complete f#ck up?
    Will they work better? Will they give positive feed back or feel old and spongy and a complete waste of money?

It is often said, give up on the old shit and just get something newer... and here I am...
    They certainly don't feel old and saggy. They only look good when the woman is in a natural position. Arms up or out, and the skin pulls tight. Then it's like a couple basket balls taped onto her chest.

And they're hard to squeeze together to...ya know...give her some free jewelery.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    They certainly don't feel old and saggy. They only look good when the woman is in a natural position. Arms up or out, and the skin pulls tight. Then it's like a couple basket balls taped onto her chest.

And they're hard to squeeze together to...ya know...give her some free jewelery.
    No comment... My Nana had a lovely purl necklace...

Looking for a RG speedo drive and front wheel spacers.
    Going to get the rear sprocket carrier machined tomorrow, I will do it or the old bugger at work will.
    Old bugger is option one.

minus 11mm... from memory.
    One for the road...

Bike
    Dont think its an 17'... (dude is talking about my old front tyre... called the sausage)

Well there are two front wheels that fits straight in. (same speedodrive and bearings) Has curved spokes.
    The cheapest is an gsxf600 wheel of an 89(?) to an 97-er. You wil have an 3.0 inch wheel for 110/70-17 tires. Discs wont fit so an smal bracket has to be made for taking the 290 mm discs of the gsxf600 stock wheel. I believe people here take early gsxr nissin calipers.

Rear will be the gsxf600 wheel of the 89-97-er. It will be an 3.5 inch wheel which can take 150 or perhapswide tires. But the will be a pretty balloontire in my opinion.
    160/60 is for an 4.5 inch rim. 170/60 for an 5 inch and 180/55 for an 5.5 rim.
    The disc of the rg5 will fit witghout problems. So the oem brake can be used. The chain will need a correct allignment. Its not a straight fit!!! Believe spacer is needed.
    Its not expensive. Wheels can be picked for 10-20 pounds each. Bracket a few tenners and calipers for a few tenners also. Painting will be the most expensive part i think.

The other possibility is of the newer gsxf600. (model 98-2001). I did this also. (has straight spokes).
    Front fits straight in (same bearings and speedodrive) and the discs of the early model (89-97 or 98-01 can be used. Theyre the same.
    You will have an 3.5 inch wheel so all modern tires can be used! (that whay i choose this option). The weights are the same as the early gsxf wheel. I measured
    everything. Again brackets have to be made for the bigger brakediscs of 290 mm. Wheel costs a bit more for a secondhand. about 30-60 pounds.

The rear is a bit more difficult. The alligment of the chain isnt ok so i took the cushdrive of the early model or newer model gsxf (dunno anymore) and machined 11 mm's of it. There is plent of meat to do this! Normally the chain is almost a meter away from this rim/tire.
    The brake of the rg500 doesnt fit so the disc, brakcet, caliper of the newer model gsxf has to be used. Perhaps the floating calipers of the early gsxR can be used? dunno this...
    Also the torque arm has to be mounted to the swinger instead of the frame. That because the rg5 is a floating type. The newer not.
    Its cost more effort, time and mony but hey....you can take an 160/60 tire because its an 4.5 inch rim. And 5 inch will fit also. Without problems of the chain rubbing the tire.

From an expert.
    One for the road...

Bike
    A copy of a post... looking for info. No point asking here where I talk to myself.

An update.
    You know the only reason I update this thread is because I have questions.
    I am ditching rims that have already been fitted instead of standard.
    Still a 16 front...

Anyway the speedo drive does not fit the GSX600F front wheel.

Can some one PLEASE.. measure their speedo drive.

62mm out side round housing
    15mm axle size...hmm
    54mm outside of drive tabs.
    27mm wide...27.22mm to be exact.

This does not fit the GSX rim its too big.

I do not know if this is normal.

About to purchase a RG500 speedo drive from UK $$$ or should I be purchasing a gX600F jopby
    end of post... yep we sacked them all.

Oh and fuck me... got the big picture working again.
    One for the road...

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    I haven't got a vernia here to measure with. I do have heaps of speedo drives though, and I'm near positive I will have what ya need.

I could really use the dimensions of the one you want though, or it's all a bit moot.

They're usually interchangable between make and model, there's only a few different sizes that I can think of.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    I haven't got a vernia here to measure with. I do have heaps of speedo drives though, and I'm near positive I will have what ya need.

I could really use the dimensions of the one you want though, or it's all a bit moot.

They're usually interchangable between make and model, there's only a few different sizes that I can think of.
    Drew, you are so cool.
    Thanks, may you have a 1000 sons.

The speedo drive I have is a Suzuki one but I don't know what its off and it does not fit.
    Brought a RG one off evil bay for like 11pounds.. and the asshole wants 35 pounds to send it to NZ.
    Work that out in NZ dollars.

The major is it is in the Netherlands.. the rim and forks and brakes cam from the UK... but not paying that for a speedo drive.

So enter Drew.... you are the man. I hope you can help, that would be great.
    Assuming you can sell me a speedo drive for less....

photo DSC00036_zpseca7ba55.jpg

photo DSC00035_zps49e5ace4.jpg
    One for the road...

Bike
     photo RGcarrier_zpsee97aec8.jpg
    Machined the GSX600F 98 sprocket carrier today.

Skimmed 11mm of the face.

Made a nice little tool to hold the sprocket carrier and not have it slip in the 3 jaw chuck.

The ali is soft and you are going to mark it if you use the out side of the sprocket carrier to hold it in the lathe.

Need to decide between 530 standard and 520 proposed drive chain.
    fact is don't need it for grunt.

Looking cool and being practical is what counts. Even price is negotiable.
    So what the fuck is the best option?

Have quote and options engineered from UK... nice but expensive, send these details to NZ supplier and to hard.
    So asked for standard 530 quote.

So soon I will have 520 custom build quote verses 530 stand build, one from Uk and other NZ.

Which will be the best and the cheapest?
    Last edited by Arronduke; 28th November 2013 at 17:21. Reason: Dumb ass I am wrote 630 instead of 530
    One for the road...

Thread Information