Page 28 of 31 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: RG - Extensive clean

Bike
    77 XL250
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    RG Extensive kleenex.
    Says it all really.

On a (slightly) related note, a few weeks back I found a RG400 alloy fairing mount in my bits bucket. The one that fits to the lovely raised mount on that slab of alloy frame. That must be all that remains of my brief Summer affair with that scarlet and silver hussy.
    The best way to forget all your troubles is to wear tight underpants.

Bike
    Katana 1135, RG500, GSXR1100, KX250
    Seems I am on a roll, time for an update.

Cleaning the chambers, OH they look so sexy after all the shit is cleaned off.
    Cool thing is the manifolds to make removal easy without undoing the exhaust bolts constantly and rooting them. Planning to use bolts and not studs... coment? with antisize obviously.
    Stainless steel bolts? I am thinking not but want to, stainless and aluminium not a good mix. What you say?

Not installed permantly just a test fit, thinking about exhaust wrap where the chambers go past the oil tank etc... loads of heat.. good idea?

One for the road...
    Kat1230 (81), GSXR1100 (86), RG500 (86)
    The 80`s - Back in the days when men looked like women, women dressed like whores and the music F@#KING ROCKED!

Bike
    Ah doesn't that look good.

and even better....

amazing what happens when the family are away! time to play... now where is that beer!
    One for the road...
    The 80`s - Back in the days when men looked like women, women dressed like whores and the music F@#KING ROCKED!

Bike
    77 XL250
    OOOOHHH. Lurvly stuff.

Isn't there a plate with silver heatproof stuff to shield the oil tank? Probably just my befuddled mind confusing it with some other bike.

Bike
    72 Kawasaki A7, 05 Kawasaki W650
    This continues to be the best thread on KB.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadpole View Post
    OOOOHHH. Lurvly stuff.

Isn't there a plate with silver heatproof stuff to shield the oil tank? Probably just my befuddled mind confusing it with some other bike.
    correct...
    number 6- 44693-20A00-000 HEAT SHIELD,OUTLET 1 0.00 (means not available)
    Im sure there was not one when I pulled this fuc#er apart. Mind you that was 10k beers ago. But saying that I have lost FA and nothing leaves my shed unless its empty or trash as you can tell!

Cant seem to find one.. if you have one in the parts box let me know...

One for the road...

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Gayner View Post
    This continues to be the best thread on KB.
    Now that just eggs me on with my stupid ways!
    Thanks
    One for the road...

Bike
    Now I have had a beer I can rant.... why is the petrol I feed my bikes going to cost so much?
    Cows farting.. really. Add no more gas and oil from Taranaki when we have heaps of supply and SHIT LOADS yet to find.
    Stuiped fuc$en left, bean eaters, bus users and load mouths. While the rest of us just want cheap fuel to put in our bikes.

Working with the regular price of petrol in USA $0.69 per liter = $0.95 NZ per liter and what do we pay...TAX and shit loads and about to add another 27c (GST ADDED) thanks to the teeth. OMG
    All tax in NZ to give $$ to people who do FA.

You might say off topic but NO... I want to afford petrol and use it, not buy it thinking what a treat, lets make it last. Those ass holes dont own an RG5

Enough said for 5min..Jacinda Ardern before braces!

One for the road...

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    [QUOTE=Arronduke;1131095001]Seems I am on a roll, time for an update.

Cool thing is the manifolds to make removal easy without undoing the exhaust bolts constantly and rooting them. Planning to use bolts and not studs... coment? with antisize obviously.
    Stainless steel bolts? I am thinking not but want to, stainless and aluminium not a good mix. What you say?

Not installed permantly just a test fit, thinking about exhaust wrap where the chambers go past the oil tank etc... loads of heat.. good idea?

Stainless fasteners into aluminium: two problems, galvanic corrosion and also the fact that stainless is approx 1/3 the strength of high tensile steel. Galvanic corrosion: you're setting up a shitty battery between aluminium, air, and stainless steel. Everything alloy will go powdery, albeit slowly. This will happen even at room temperature, once the engine is warmed up it'll move faster.

If you're after durability plus the ability to get it all apart again down the road then probably the best way to go is standard header studs (ie high tensile passivated) and the weird copper / bronze alloy head fastener nuts I've seen a few bikes using lately. Alternately if you want cap screw bolts then BZP high tensile will work for a while if you accept that they'll want changing every now and again for the sake of an acceptable light grey finish. The zinc coating is sacrificial, the silvery look of fresh zinc on a BZP will last about a week once they start seeing use. These bolts actually shouldn't get too hot since the header manifold attachments bolt flat to the head and so get the benefit of contact with the bike's water cooling system.

Pipe wrap: fuck no. Please? I've no direct experience with the stuff but everything I've read says it looks awesome after install but everything underneath it rots toot sweet. Something about trapping moisture, including humidity even on a dry day... plus I strongly suspect that there's something galvanic going on at high temperatures as well.

Is some kind of ceramic paint acceptable for the headers? Or is allowing oxidation OK?

Bike
    [QUOTE=OddDuck;1131095039]
    Quote Originally Posted by Arronduke View Post
    Seems I am on a roll, time for an update.

Stainless fasteners into aluminium: two problems, galvanic corrosion and also the fact that stainless is approx 1/3 the strength of high tensile steel. Galvanic corrosion: you're setting up a shitty battery between aluminium, air, and stainless steel. Everything alloy will go powdery, albeit slowly. This will happen even at room temperature, once the engine is warmed up it'll move faster.

If you're after durability plus the ability to get it all apart again down the road then probably the best way to go is standard header studs (ie high tensile passivated) and the weird copper / bronze alloy head fastener nuts I've seen a few bikes using lately. Alternately if you want cap screw bolts then BZP high tensile will work for a while if you accept that they'll want changing every now and again for the sake of an acceptable light grey finish. The zinc coating is sacrificial, the silvery look of fresh zinc on a BZP will last about a week once they start seeing use. These bolts actually shouldn't get too hot since the header manifold attachments bolt flat to the head and so get the benefit of contact with the bike's water cooling system.

Pipe wrap: fuck no. Please? I've no direct experience with the stuff but everything I've read says it looks awesome after install but everything underneath it rots toot sweet. Something about trapping moisture, including humidity even on a dry day... plus I strongly suspect that there's something galvanic going on at high temperatures as well.

Is some kind of ceramic paint acceptable for the headers? Or is allowing oxidation OK?
    Noted and thanks- just as I thought. No S/S bolts for exhaust.
    One for the road...

Bike
    Thought I would try the Rick Lance version 2 air filters... nice bit of kit.

F me large pictures work here but not on my Kat thread...LOL

These babies should liven up the RG, good mix with the Jim Lomas pipes.
    Kit came with two sets of jets 240 and 250, added the 250 to start with and then down to the 240's if needed.
    The standard in 120..OMG, but that is what the man says and if you have seen his video / bike they go real well.
    Thanks to the teeth this fu#ker will be expensive to run, but you don't own an RG5 if you care about globe warming. This thing is about gulping gas in large quantities and burning oil. Did I mention that smell. Oh the smell and sound of 4 cylinders of 2 smoke power on the pipe.
    This has taken a while but the end is in sight and I'm getting excited!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Dh1EsNTw8E
    video Rick lance.. interesting scenery, so different to NZ.

And... why we own an RG5.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lniZg9NoTnw
    One for the road...

Bike
    Cleaned up the wiring loom, 3M tape is the boom and the best I could find on the net for the job. Cleaned all the connectors with CRC electrical contact cleaner, wanted to use brake clean as that is what I had but a few beers on the net, NO... bad for electrical / plastic components. Glad I took the time. Anyway right stuff used and looking real tidy. Time to install. Big step forward. Not much to go now.
    Dielectric grease will be use sparingly on the connectors to stop any corrosion moving forward.

just in case your not totally bored by now.. one more.. not. edit.. did not notice the wife's foot in the picture, ill make sure she is outside next time after cleaning the floor..

OK.. its clean and looking good... also a good reference for other rebuilding a loom, hence the pictures.
    One for the road...

Bike
    77 XL250
    Quote Originally Posted by Arronduke View Post
    did not notice the wife's foot in the picture, ill make sure she is outside next time after cleaning the floor..
    If she reads this we may be seeing the RG as part of an estate sale...

Meanwhile - Carry on the good work.

Bike
    Aprillia RSV1000R 92 KX500
    Blog Entries
    Your wife seems to have a very hairy foot - does that help with her buffing the floor after cleaning it?

Bike
    Blandit 1200, DRZ250 K, Beta xtrainer
    You are a breathing dead man! One day she will read your threads!

Thread Information