Page 1 of 79 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: ANZACs and war and stuff

Bike
    Had a 2007 Suzuki C50T Boulevard

ANZACs and war and stuff

Thoughts? There seems to be more made of ANZAC Day in the last couple of years, as though it is becoming more relevant today than in past years.

Why do you think this is? Is the world becoming more averse to the rising violence and International tensions? The message coming across is that we need to remember and learn from our past and not to revisit it again. Not to see those fallen as falling in vain and to highlight the futility of war.

It has been noticeable in questionnaires over recent years that more and more people would register as Conscientious Objectors if called up for service and this crosses all areas of society, not just your traditional pacifists. It seems to be part of the rise of the "common people" to not be ruled by TPTB and simply told what to do.

Conversely, there is still a keen interest in joining or otherwise supporting the armed forces for the vocational training and discipline they provide and for national pride.

Do you think ANZAC Day is still relevant, do you support it and what are your attitudes to war today? I would put up a poll, but that wouldn't help so much as letting people say what they think.
    Last edited by Edbear; 24th April 2013 at 17:46. Reason: typo
    You don't get to be an old dog without learning a few tricks.
    Shorai Powersports batteries are very trick!

Bike
    She resents being called a bike
    Blog Entries
    I haven't noticed. Perhaps you're looking for it more given the research attached to your beliefs?

As for war in general. I would sign up only to defend NZ from invaders but not to slaughter people to gain access to their resources for the privileged few. Other than that, War, HUH, what is it good for... absolutely nothing yuwaw
    I didn't think!!! I experimented!!!

Bike
    Triple Delight

Anzac Day

Has always been important to me. As a child I attended comemorations as a Girl Guide and then as a player in a Brass Band. Have not missed very many services over the years to be fair. Perhaps when my babies were new, sleep won over from dawn parade. Once they were old enough to appreciate what was going on I took them along.

I still play Last Post every year, a little way I can put something back into my community. Sadly most of the oldies are no longer with us, I have played at a few funerals over the years too.

My continuing involvement stems mostly from a genuine respect for the young men that defended our freedom all those years ago. If you ever get time stop and have a read of small towm war memorials, very sobering indeed. The other thing though is to remember what happened and to make a renewed committment to make sure it never happens again.

I have 3 adult kids. One never misses a dawn parade, one that will attend sometimes and one that doesn't. Each to their own.

We will remember them...
    Quote Originally Posted by Gubb View Post
    Nonono,

He rides the Leprachhaun at the end of the Rainbow. Usually goes by the name Anne McMommus

Bike
    None any more
    The generations who were involved in the major conflicts of WWI and WWII came home and wanted to forget.

The generation who volunteered to serve in Vietnam came home and hid from all of the opinionated peaceniks who gave them shit.

With the passing of time and the invention of the Discovery Channel, people get a better understanding of history, what was at stake, and what New Zealanders contributed, whether engaged in active combat duties or keeping a wartime economy running at home.
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    Road King
    Blog Entries
    Just had a call from the RSA asking if I could pick up a few oldies in my landrover and take them to the service. I was just going to give a hand with the local 25 lb-er but I am now driving the taxi.
    Just another leather clad Tinkerbell.
    The Wanker on the Fucking Harley is going for a ride!

Bike
    Yamaha XV250
    Blog Entries
    One of the 1st World war poems. Written by Moina Michael as a tribute to the poem " In Flanders Fields" by John McCrae in 1915.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	03061201.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	275.1 KB 
ID:	281900
    " Rule books are for the Guidance of the Wise, and the Obedience of Fools"

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    I went to Anzac Cove and Galipolli and Galibolu over a couple of days and have to say it was an eye opener. It is a very significant event for the Turks, I guess because it is in their country, and they have made a small tourist industry based around that. They love having you there and I found them both friendly and hospitable. I don,t celebrate Anzac day as such but like having the day off cos I,m a lazy cunt!
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitcher View Post
    The generations who were involved in the major conflicts of WWI and WWII came home and wanted to forget.

The generation who volunteered to serve in Vietnam came home and hid from all of the opinionated peaceniks who gave them shit.

With the passing of time and the invention of the Discovery Channel, people get a better understanding of history, what was at stake, and what New Zealanders contributed, whether engaged in active combat duties or keeping a wartime economy running at home.
    It is interesting in interviews with family members how often it comes up that the returning soldiers did not want to talk about it and never talked until the day they died.

First hand accounts from participants always stresses the horror and futility of the war, the questioning of why. They talk about the often shambolic direction of Command. The war movies emphasise the heroism, the powerful leaders and Generals, the cause of defending freedom against invaders intent on taking that freedom away.

I listened to an interview on National Radio today with the daughter of a WW1 soldier who was decorated for bravery, who then became a pacifist and was imprisoned during WW2, as a conscientious objector and treated very badly.

She never got her father to tell her his story and he took it to his grave. Has anyone here been able to hear first hand stories from fathers, grandfathers or grandmothers about their experiences and how it affected them?

Bike
    one that goes
    Quote Originally Posted by Edbear View Post

She never got her father to tell her his story and he took it to his grave. Has anyone here been able to hear first hand stories from fathers, grandfathers or grandmothers about their experiences and how it affected them?
    During life Edbear some like to forget the hard/sad parts. But then we have cunts like you always wanting to revist shit times to satisfy your curiosity.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by duckonin View Post
    During life Edbear some like to forget the hard/sad parts. But then we have cunts like you always wanting to revist shit times to satisfy your curiosity.
    It isn't me promoting ANZAC day and making it prominent in the media, doing radio interviews and publicising the Dawn Parade encouraging everyone to attend and buy Poppies. Why don't you stand up and go public with your comments, say, to the RSA, or TV1...

You are being a disingenuous idiot, stop it!

Bike
    Darmah, 888, B50SS
    It's funny, my older head knows that most of them went off for adventure and such but in my heart I still have the vision of them signing up and dying for a "higher ideal".
    I suppose that's the effect of propaganda on a young mind but I still like to give the heart some free rope on ANZAC Day.
    ...she took the KT, and left me the Buell to ride....(Blues Brothers)

Quote Originally Posted by Edbear View Post
    It is interesting in interviews with family members how often it comes up that the returning soldiers did not want to talk about it and never talked until the day they died.
    As a Baby Boomer, the previous generation didn't want to talk about the war, but it was glorified in movies and comics (War Comics!) It was just a thing in the past, the country was recovering from the war effort, we knew about the wars but it was no big thing, Anzac Day had no real relevance to me, just a holiday.

One of my Grandfathers was a conshie - he was sent white feathers in the mail and stuff. He was a quiet man who thought deep and had principals, one of my uncles fought in the war, there was no bad feelings between them at all.

I think that Anzac Day becoming more important is part of the handwringing and grief that young people seem to revel in when someone they know dies - shrines and RIP signs on cars and stuff....I find this all a bit melodramatic. In the '70's I had friends dying in bike and car crashes, dying from drug overdoses - maybe I'm a heartless bastard, but they died, that's tough, but lets just on with life.
    In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by idb View Post
    It's funny, my older head knows that most of them went off for adventure and such but in my heart I still have the vision of them signing up and dying for a "higher ideal".
    I suppose that's the effect of propaganda on a young mind but I still like to give the heart some free rope on ANZAC Day.
    For most .. dying was not something that was thought of. They saw it all as a big adventure ... and a chance to travel. Something very few of them could do had there been no war.

"It wont happen to me" was the usual remark .... and as well as ... "It will be all over by Christmas" ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Darmah, 888, B50SS
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    For most .. dying was not something that was thought of. They saw it all as a big adventure ... and a chance to travel. Something very few of them could do had there been no war.

"It wont happen to me" was the usual remark .... and as well as ... "It will be all over by Christmas" ...
    ...as well as, "Winston knows what he's doing".
    ...she took the KT, and left me the Buell to ride....(Blues Brothers)

Bike
    It was on the good
    Not really a fan of the biscuits.

Thread Information