Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steel ramps on Cook Strait ferries?

Bike
    RATS & RICE
    Blog Entries

Steel ramps on Cook Strait ferries?

The issue has been raise at work and we would like to hear your concerns...

How difficult and duanting do you find,

Having to stop on the steel ramp while disenbarking the top deck to the bottom deck to get of the
    ferry?

Considering the ramp can be wet and bikes are often laden with luggage and pillon,

We are looking at this from a saftey issue to insure you have a smooth exit of the vessel.

Cheers Baz

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    I myself have had no issues with any ferry. I have seen very few issues come to light .. by any I've talked to .. about the ferry crossings.
    I think there is a thread in these forums about what to expect on the ferries ... problems etc. Most companies would keep records on "incidents" on their ramps ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    I haven't used the Bluebridge (so no multi deck scenario) but I have used the Interislander for several years.

Worst part is stopping on the ramp between boat and hard pathways, mostly because it's wet and not flat (in fact it's downright bumpy with ridges and tie down points). The rest is just being careful, as even the boat deck for Interislander is slippery because it's painted metal and often wet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    YZF-R6
    I didn't find it any worse than any other slippery surface, people unprepared for it may have problems, do people drop bikes on the ramps often?

Sent from my XT535 using Tapatalk 2

Bike
    my little pony
    I use the ferrys 3 to 4 times (return) a year. I never expect the decks and ramps not to be slippery. Never had any issues myself, or seen anyone else drop theirs. It would be better if the bikes can be ridden non stop, at a steady speed, rather than queing.

Bike
    an imaginary one atm
    i found the interislanders service for motorbikes quite satisfactory in all regards, ramps included, and especially the fact your on first, the dirty great harley parking next to you with angry looking rider and missus who looks like microwaved bacon who put a helmet on a handle bar each and then abuse you for bumping there helmet with your bar ends on your normal sized "hey im just taking up 1 space" bike......... not so much

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Last time I crossed it was torrential both ways, the guys on the Interislander made sure I got on and off safely, holding back all other traffic.

Bike
    None any more
    Team Hitcher exclusively uses the Bluebridge. The ramps have steel cleats welded to them. However if worried about riding up or down in the wet (as Mrs H is), then make sure that any vehicle in front has exited before commencing your trip. That way you'll have a clear run at it without having to stop on something potentially wet and skiddy and worry about having to get your feet down.
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch View Post
    i found the interislanders service for motorbikes quite satisfactory in all regards,
    did they look after your seeing eye dog well?

Bike
    an imaginary one atm
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    did they look after your seeing eye dog well?
    I left him at home..............

Bike
    RATS & RICE
    Blog Entries
    Chatting to the Bosun about it as he rasied the issue with me in regards to the ramp exit,as he doesn't ride he wanted a point of view of how hard is it for the rider to stop the bike on the ramp and hold it there...
    We haven't had any issues on the ramp,but they do want to limit the risk to riders.
    Most I know are comfy with exiting the vessel but we still get the odd one that isn't..

The way the main deck on the Straitsman is loaded means that when discharging there is vehicals coming from both side as you exit the top deck,

They plan to arrange it so all bikes can discharge with out having to stop..

Bike
    Triple Delight
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitcher View Post
    However if worried about riding up or down in the wet (as Mrs H is), then make sure that any vehicle in front has exited before commencing your trip. That way you'll have a clear run at it without having to stop on something potentially wet and skiddy and worry about having to get your feet down.
    Yepper, good advice this, I have been caught out having to stop somewhere almost impossible to stay upright on when others stopped and blocked my way. I fell off, and almost dropped Millie and as a result, thanks to a couple of burly blokes who managed to hold my bike up.

Quote Originally Posted by dogsnbikes View Post
    They plan to arrange it so all bikes can discharge with out having to stop..
    You might like to look at it the other way as well. Some of us vertically challenged ones tend to become a bit skittery on uneven, sloping, wet surfaces if we have to stop. Actually last time I attempted to board a ferry, a little one, I ended up on the ground Fuckers closed the gate just as I committed to riding on to it, touch of front brake, coupled with pea metal and ooooooooover she went
    Quote Originally Posted by Gubb View Post
    Nonono,

He rides the Leprachhaun at the end of the Rainbow. Usually goes by the name Anne McMommus

Bike
    bike decoration, 02 1150Gs, 2015 Indian
    I've use the blue bridge mostly, only ever had one issue heading north the boys had put some cleaning stuff on the deck to remove an oil spill & had not washed it off by the time I had got there, O moment as the arse end started to slide then caught stopping at the bulk head, after a with the boys they washed the deck down before they let any one else up, & it's not happened again in the last five years
    Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one’s life for his friends. (John 15:13)

Bike
    Concours 14, S10
    I haven't had an issue but then the Bluebridge guys usually wave the bikes off first and I've never had to stop on the ramp.

On both services the decks are usually wet and greasy so I treat them with respect. One of the funniest things I've seen is some guys crash starting a 400/4 - a big run up, leap aboard and let go of the clutch and into an impressive slide on the wet deck - bike fired up and they got away with it.

The only other scary thing I've had is idiots getting off their bikes and wandering off without tying them down...

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitcher View Post
    Team Hitcher exclusively uses the Bluebridge. The ramps have steel cleats welded to them. However if worried about riding up or down in the wet (as Mrs H is), then make sure that any vehicle in front has exited before commencing your trip. That way you'll have a clear run at it without having to stop on something potentially wet and skiddy and worry about having to get your feet down.

Yep I'd agree with the non-stop traversing of ramps, just cuts out any nonsense, especially for novice or nervous riders.

BTW - I've found the painted decks themselves more slippery than the ramps.

Thread Information