Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bridgestone T30 review

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zapf View Post
    Question is what is their limit...
    I'd suggest that as long as the limit is above anything you're doing, who cares.

Normally you find the limit when you go past it
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    A big Wheel, and a sponge bob scooter :P
    Just over 2500 miles*on these tyres now...still no sign of wear! (*about 4000k)

I'm honestly amazed!...I truly expected a flat spot to be starting to develop by now, what with all the boring straight line trips to work everyday, and me being naturally hard on the accelerator and brake's!...and not to mention the V4's tendency to be slightly harder on tyres than most engine configurations.

another fact Ive noticed with tyres is pressure levels...they haven't changed since fitting

I check the pressure's regularly, Ive adjusted them once to allow for better winter grip...but other than that...they haven't lost one PSI!! -I put this down to the incredibly stiff side walls....but still, that's pretty damn amazing!, and to also include the fact that CHCH's road's are currently pot hole, kidney punching crap!....you can understand my amazement.

The performance levels of the tyres still haven't changed...simply amazing!

Once I hit over 5k+ I will post some photos to show the wear the daily flat lining to and from work has inflicted (bugger all!), and I "may" post some ride video (But I friggin doubt it to be honest lol...I know what you lot are like "reviewing" people's ride footage )

When Life thows me a curve
    ...I lean into it!

Bike
    NC700X XR250 MTS1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by willytheekid View Post
    ...still no sign of wear! (*about 4000k)
    For the records can you tell us what bike you ride and if you carry any topbox / luggage? thanks.
    newbie since August 2004....
    VTR250 (retired) / SV650S (Fw:Keystone19) / GSXR750(given up) / CB400(traded for 919) / CB900 Hornet / CBR954 (traded) / CBR1100XX (sold) / TuonoR (sold) / CB900 Hornet / NC700X / MTS1200 / XR250

Bike
    Its a Boat
    For the records can you tell us what bike you ride and if you carry any topbox / luggage? thanks.
    I have the same tyres on my GSX1250FA and always have the panniers on, add the top box when we go away. Must weigh around 280kgs + with all the gear on?..42 rear and 36 front, amazing tyres.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001 (1024x768).jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	613.4 KB 
ID:	285526  

Bike
    Hi Zap

Bike is my 18yr old 95 VFR750 with nearly 120,000k on the clock (see attached...any excuse to show the old girl off ..oh...and the other thing is "retard dog!"...beware of retard dog!)
    My work trip is about a 70k round trip, I carry a Givi bike backpack loaded up with all the usual stuff, first aid kit, wet weather gear, Hi Hiz vest, bike lock, work laptop(sometimes) my lunch!...an assorted crap!

The lack of wear is mostly due to all the bloody straights roads I travel (Its IS canterbury after all), and the fact that Ive only managed to get up into the hills for some scratching about three times since fitting (2 kids an the retarded dog take up most of my spare time )...but the tyres excelled during those three "fun" trips up in the hills

Hence this is a daily grind review for the average rider who use's there bike mostly for daily transport
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-09-09 15.49.25.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	157.6 KB 
ID:	285512  
    Last edited by willytheekid; 30th July 2013 at 07:11. Reason: me spelly bad mmmmK

...I lean into it!

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Maha View Post
    I have the same tyres on my GSX1250FA and always have the panniers on, add the top box when we go away. Must weigh around 280kgs + with all the gear on?..42 rear and 36 front, amazing tyres.
    mmmmmm tasty bike that! (Cheers for pic'y)

Glad your enjoying the tyres as much as I am mate (Just amazing grip and feel even when in the absolute worst! of conditions)

...I lean into it!

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Quote Originally Posted by willytheekid View Post
    mmmmmm tasty bike that! (Cheers for pic'y)

Glad your enjoying the tyres as much as I am mate (Just amazing grip and feel even when in the absolute worst! of conditions)
    Excluding ice grit....

Bike
    NC700X XR250 MTS1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Maha View Post
    Thanks, I am having quite a different experience. Have a 1200cc twin, with boxes and luggage it weights around 240kg. Not including me. But the rear looks like it won't last beyond 5k. However the air temperature here varies between 23C to 33C. Much warmer place.
    VTR250 (retired) / SV650S (Fw:Keystone19) / GSXR750(given up) / CB400(traded for 919) / CB900 Hornet / CBR954 (traded) / CBR1100XX (sold) / TuonoR (sold) / CB900 Hornet / NC700X / MTS1200 / XR250

Bike
    GSX11-tysomething, BMW K100 x2
    Thanks, I am having quite a different experience. Have a 1200cc twin, with boxes and luggage it weights around 240kg. Not including me. But the rear looks like it won't last beyond 5k. However the air temperature here varies between 23C to 33C. Much warmer place.
    Hi Zapf,

Out of interest, what is the 1200cc twin, how many KM's has it done and where are you based?

Jay
    Jay Lawrence #37

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JayRacer37 View Post
    Out of interest, what is the 1200cc twin, how many KM's has it done and where are you based?
    MTS1200, done around 24k now, Spain, last I checked (bastard).
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    NC700X XR250 MTS1200
    Blog Entries
    Have done 3 1/2 thousand k's on a mix of fast motorway 130~140kph and also back roads coro style. Center and side tread are around 3~4 mm's left (equal for center and side) Side tread wears very quickly specially on spirted 130+kph long hill climbs due to soft rubber. Tire does not feel as stable as a Z8, and provides less feed back. However very good grip... (when you have such good grip do you need feed back still?)

Will be burning up thru France and into Germany, approx 1200km (fast motorway) which I assume will finish them off and I have a set of Z8's waiting in Germany.

The above must be read in conjunction of the following
    Bike weight: 240~250kg with no rider but inc luggage and fuel
    Bike power: 150hp
    Bike engine: twin (not nice to tires)
    Air temp: 25~33 degrees
    Tire pressure: 42psi (rear)

Knowing how grippy these tires are, I would put them onto a lighter less powerful bike as the tire should work very well there. E.g like my NC700X. Got close to 10'000km with BT023's

I suspect controlling the temperature of the tire is key to it lasting much longer. However there is not much else I can do. ps the bike is suspended properly

I now think the T30 would be awesome for the UK winter... (as long as it doesn't get below zero... else you get cracked tires I read)

Bike
    Have done 3 1/2 thousand k's on a mix of fast motorway 130~140kph and also back roads coro style. Center and side tread are around 3~4 mm's left (equal for center and side) Side tread wears very quickly specially on spirted 130+kph long hill climbs due to soft rubber. Tire does not feel as stable as a Z8, and provides less feed back. However very good grip... (when you have such good grip do you need feed back still?)

Will be burning up thru France and into Germany, approx 1200km (fast motorway) which I assume will finish them off and I have a set of Z8's waiting in Germany.

The above must be read in conjunction of the following
    Bike weight: 240~250kg with no rider but inc luggage and fuel
    Bike power: 150hp
    Bike engine: twin (not nice to tires)
    Air temp: 25~33 degrees
    Tire pressure: 42psi (rear)

Knowing how grippy these tires are, I would put them onto a lighter less powerful bike as the tire should work very well there. E.g like my NC700X. Got close to 10'000km with BT023's

I suspect controlling the temperature of the tire is key to it lasting much longer. However there is not much else I can do. ps the bike is suspended properly

I now think the T30 would be awesome for the UK winter... (as long as it doesn't get below zero... else you get cracked tires I read)

Yes, the cracking thing can happen for sure, although with all tyres - this is something that can happen with below zero rubber that gets flexed.

I would hazard a guess (and guess only!) that an S20 rear might last better for you, while providing more feeling.

The reason I say this is because it sounds like you are overheating the carcass - certainly possible on a bike like that. Becuase the MTS1200 is a taller bike with longer suspension travel it pitches its weight a lot so it has a higher weight effect on the tyre than traditional tourers and can put even more temperature in the tyres. Also the S20 is a 'softer' rubber compound and can move further with the big twin pulses without the ripping effect that can happen with a firmer rubber, meaning it might last a little longer.
    Jay Lawrence #37

Bike
    NC700X XR250 MTS1200
    Blog Entries
    I would hazard a guess (and guess only!) that an S20 rear might last better for you, while providing more feeling.
    Interesting suggestion.... a softer rubber tire may last longer... but you do have a few points. We can put it to the test later this year in NZ. And I am sure you can sort me out a tire for testing.... LOL

Bike
    Interesting suggestion.... a softer rubber tire may last longer... but you do have a few points. We can put it to the test later this year in NZ. And I am sure you can sort me out a tire for testing.... LOL
    Yeah a bit counter-intuitive, but we used to see in particular with Triumph triples that a softer tyre would last a few thousand KM's longer as it wasn't being torn as frequently as the more touring tyre. The same goes for bikes like the Hayabusa, if the rider is gentle and uses it for touring, the touring tyre lasts better, but someone who gives it a bit might find the sports one last better for them.
    Jay Lawrence #37

Bike
    A
    Yeah a bit counter-intuitive, but we used to see in particular with Triumph triples that a softer tyre would last a few thousand KM's longer as it wasn't being torn as frequently as the more touring tyre. The same goes for bikes like the Hayabusa, if the rider is gentle and uses it for touring, the touring tyre lasts better, but someone who gives it a bit might find the sports one last better for them.
    Haha, I've been following both the S20 and T30 user reviews and pondering which Bridgestone to go for once I've shredded the BT015s on my Busa...and since I do both a bit of touring and I do like to give the bike a bit...by your reckoning the S20 is the one to get...which is in keeping with the sporty intent of the bike anyway
    So cheers Jay

Thread Information