Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Queenstown and Cromwell Highlands Motorsport Park tour

Bike
    S1000RR

Queenstown and Cromwell Highlands Motorsport Park tour

My journey began in the morning of Tuesday of 7th. I had an impulse to have a Fergburger for lunch. Well, what an excuse to go on an escape! Regardless, I've always wanted to travel south before the big winter hits. My original plan was to go for just one night's stay while taking a look at the brand new Highlands Motorsport Park in Cromwell. It was good to be back on the road and on a long journey. This reminded me of when I used to tour half the North Island on my old Suzuki FXR150. Different bike this time, but same spirit.

The weather was fantastic and the scenery was simply stunning. And the beautiful twists and turns were simply cherry on top.

By the time I reached Omarama, I noticed that my tyres needed replacing.... SOON! Before my departure I thought some rubber left would be fine but these country roads were absolutely grinding through the rear tyre. The roads are like coarse sand paper. "This ain't good" I thought. So I called my friend in Auckland Todd ("Hello" back to you DMNTD) and got me a set of tyres shipped to Qmotors. Now all I had to do was wait till those tyres arrive.

Feeling better now that I got the tyre problem ready to be solved, I continued my way with some sence of peace of mind.

I arrived in Queenstown just before sundown. The canyon ride through the valley (in between Queenstown and Cromwell) was simply stunning. At this time of the year there were few tourists on the road so some ways it felt like my own private race track. 100% fun but still keeping it under 100kph speed limit.

After checking in at a backpackers, I slept hoping the tyres to arrive soon.

1. Lake Pukaki. Stunning view and weather. Blue, blue everywhere.
    2. Countryside outside of Fairlie
    3. Over the Lindis Pass. With snow covering the hills it felt like I was in a different country.
    4. Scenery just outside of Arrowtown.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	320.9 KB 
ID:	282559   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	375.6 KB 
ID:	282560   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	478.6 KB 
ID:	282561   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	565.4 KB 
ID:	282562  

If you can make it on Kiwibiker you can make it anywhere.

Bike
    S1000RR

Day 2: Highlands Motorsport Park

I woke up thinking (or hoping) the tyres would last me for a few more kilometers. After breakfast I headed out back to Cromwell to visit the brand new Highlands Motorsport Park museum. As I entered the car park I couldn't help but to notice the design and the "newness" of the facility. Everything was new. Buildings were new, roads were new, and even some part of driveway weren’t completely sealed. Everything was tidy and clean just like fresh Lego out of the box. Out by the car park there was the Gasoline Alley for track meetings. It looked like a place you can find at Leipzig or Nurburgring. By the first garage, there were a couple of Highlands Porsche GT3 cup cars and a Suzuki Swift being prepared for track testing.

Out by the museum there was also a “200kph taxi” Porsche Cayenne Turbo ready to take some passengers.

Overlooking the fence I could see the entire layout of the track. With the beautiful surroundings of mountain range similar to Fuji Speedway, fresh cut green grass, track overpass/ tunnel and a small pond with a fountain in the middle, it is absolutely wondrous. It’s not a track. It’s an art.I could not help but to wonder if they'd let me have a go on the track on my bike if I'd asked them politely....

Next to the race track, there was also a go-kart track, mini golf, pedal cars track, speedway, and even a skid pan for some sideway action! Inside the museum facility there was a cafe, a lookout/ view point over the track and merchandise shop.

As I entered the museum, instantly my eyes were fixed on the Orange McLaren MP4 12C GT3. The one and only in southern hemisphere, personally owned by Tony Quinn of VIP Pet Foods and the owner of Highlands Motorsport Park. The rumor is that back in 2012 Quinn came over from Australia to New Zealand with the idea of purchasing Hampton Downs. Instead, he bought the entire Highlands Motorsport park project after some "convincing" from the people down south. Just how much money does he have?

The museum had about 30 cars and 4 bikes. The collection also included a rare Austin Healey 100S, Ferrari 288 GTO (predecessor to the super F40), Quinn's Nissan GTR, Aston Martin DBRS9 GT3 and more. There are still rooms for more development and more cars so I'm definitely coming back in later times. The cost to museum entry is $20 for a single adult. $8 for a child between 5 – 15. However if you are interested, you can also take 3 fast laps taxi ride on a Porsche GT3 cup car with $295. If you want to relax with your kids, Mini golf is available too. Highlands Motorsport Park truly has something for everybody. This is a must place to visit for any motorsport enthusiast.

Some ways it reminded me of a quote John Hammond would say from Jurassic Park... "We spared no expense."

1. Imagine having a track day here.
    2. A "200 kph taxi" Cayenne Turbo.
    3. A couple of GT3 cup cars in prep.
    4. Brand spankin new track. Just PLEASE let me have a go on my bike!
    5. The one and only McLaren MP4 12C GT3 in southern hemisphere.
    6. Museum view from the top.

Name:	20130508_120137.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	557.5 KB 
ID:	282563   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130508_104756.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	249.3 KB 
ID:	282564   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130508_104724.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	244.8 KB 
ID:	282565   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-05-08_11-17-47_HDR.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	725.2 KB 
ID:	282566   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-05-08_10-57-27_HDR.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	702.2 KB 
ID:	282567   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130508_114749.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	529.2 KB 
ID:	282568  

Bike
    2014DRZ400SM
    thanks for the post i didnt even no it was there, we are going for a ride there this weekend mite have to call in...... CHEERS

Bike
    Nice write up EJC. Best read this morning.
    Quote Originally Posted by James Deuce View Post
    Don't argue with the pigs, man. They'll tap your phones and steal your weed and make your old lady do things she won't do for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitcher View Post
    Sexually transmitted diseases are one thing, sexually affected carnage is something else entirely. Ladies, if his cock's that small that he's prepared to put you at risk for a root, look elsewhere. Seriously.

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Awesome write up mate. I look forward to reading more.

Bike
    2010 Honda CB1000R Predator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by onearmedbandit View Post
    Awesome write up mate. I look forward to reading more.
    +1 to that.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cfxjason View Post
    i didnt even no it was there
    A year ago ... it wasn't ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    2006 Honda XR250L
    Crikey that is impressive and I drove past there Saturday last week thinking when I saw the entrance "oh there won't be much there yet and maybe I'll drop in some other time".
    Cheers

Merv

Bike
    Its a Boat
    You'll be right in your element there eh EJ?...I am thinking your grin was deafening?
    I saw a TV article on this/Quinn a few weeks ago.

Bike
    S1000RR
    Quote Originally Posted by Maha View Post
    You'll be right in your element there eh EJ?...I am thinking your grin was deafening
    I saw a TV article on this/Quinn a few weeks ago.
    The track was most impressive. . Now if only I was a multi millionaire...

Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    A year ago ... it wasn't ...
    A month ago it wasn't.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by EJK View Post
    The track was most impressive. . Now if only I was a multi millionaire...

A month ago it wasn't.
    I've been watching the build from the day they started moving dirt ... I go past it to and from work in Cromwell.

Four rides to do from Queenstown.

1: The Crown range road.
    2: The road up to Coronet peak skifield.
    3: The road to Glenorchy.
    4: The Devils Staircase to Kingston.

And go home over the Haast/Arthurs pass.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Various things
    Nice work mate. Cheers for the read and pics!

Bike
    900 Hornet, Preddy, RZ's, A100's
    Blog Entries
    Good stuff EJ! Great to see you making up for lost time away from riding!
    "I like to ride anyplace, anywhere, any time, any way!"

Bike
    S1000RR

Day 3. New tyres and ready to go home.

Day 3. Today was a relatively relaxing day. Still stuck in Queenstown but finally the tyres arrived. I went up to the Crown range and back down before changing my tyres. The road was beautiful but didn't had much fun due to grit in the middle of corners and some drivers forgetting which part was their lane. Seriously...?

Thanks to people at Queenstown Motorcycles (Jenny and Tim!) my bike was fitted with a set of brand new Dunlops shipped from Cycletreads. My first tyre preference was Bridgestone S20s but Cycletreads did not had them in stock at the time. So I had to go for something close. Dunlop Sportsmart was one of my options along with Metzelers M3, Z6 and Z8. I chose the Dunlop hypersport out of the bunch. The difference with Sportsmart was instantly felt after existing the workshop driveway. I guess I'd been riding on pretty bald tyres. These new tyres made the bike feel like it's riding on razor blades. Sensitive, responsive and very very sharp. I'll find out how they'll perform tomorrow.

So far so good, I'm ready to go home. Tonight it's raining pretty heavily however. I hope the road don't freeze overnight.

1. Overlooking from the Crown Range road.
    2. The famous hairpins of Crown Range road.
    3. Final ray of sunshine before rainfall.
    4. At Queenstown Motorcycles for new shoes.

Name:	2013-05-09_14-49-08_HDR.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	332.1 KB 
ID:	282588   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-05-09_14-59-44_HDR.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	684.4 KB 
ID:	282589   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-05-09_15-00-40_HDR.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	307.7 KB 
ID:	282590   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130509_154536.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	466.6 KB 
ID:	282592  

Bike
    Its a Boat
    No need to say anything but I will anyway, take it easy on those new tyres ok?

Thread Information