Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Oxford heated grips?

Bike
    07 Suzuki SV1000S & 07 Hyosung GT250R
    I have had a set of Daytonas on my Hylystrung for a few years, 3 modes: Off, On (warm when parked, not when moving) & Start (Read as so frigging hot your skin burns). I had these wired from the battery with 10amp fuse to a 30amp relay which is triggered from the horn circuit (on with ignition only). Grips have lasted well but the element in the rhs has died & I'm absolutely sick to death of burnt hands when running them in the cold/wet (steam burns suck). Time to swap them out for Oxfords I reckon, 4 modes sounds delightful

Bike
    A big Wheel, and a sponge bob scooter :P
    Put mine on the VFR on Sat (used an inline 5amp fuse, wired it to a relay, and used the back brake light as the relay trip...and I opnly falttened the battery ONCE thro "playing around")

First ride with them this morning

...omg!

...it just kinda felt wrong?
    it was foggy, cold and damp....and yet my hands staying at a "civilised" warm temp?

...laadeedaaa! did I feel flash

Get Some!!....nuff said

When Life thows me a curve
    ...I lean into it!

Bike
    Hornet 900
    This is my first winter riding with the Oxford heated grips.
    The only thing that pisses me off is I didn't fit them years ago.

Bike
    Mine
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    I fitted some Oxfords to my Hornet, just the grips. Glue on the bars, rubber mallet to help fitting. Sorted in a min.
    I was intending to do a test fit then take them off and glue them. Tried the mallet to no avail (rudy great sledge hammer wouldn't shift them much). In the end I stuck an F clamp along the bar and squeezed it on mm by mm.

This is the 600 European spec. Maybe the bars are slightly bigger.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

"Live to Ride, Ride to Live"

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by swbarnett View Post
    I was intending to do a test fit then take them off and glue them. Tried the mallet to no avail (rudy great sledge hammer wouldn't shift them much). In the end I stuck an F clamp along the bar and squeezed it on mm by mm.

This is the 600 European spec. Maybe the bars are slightly bigger.
    ...did ya try some hair spray?

...I lean into it!

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    The only thing I think heated grips lack is the ability to heat your fingernails - because they face into the wind and the warm bit is on the inside of your fingers, the nail side can still freeze in really frosty conditions. I have been known to tuck a few fingers at a time up so they contact the warm bit.
    . “No pleasure is worth giving up for two more years in a rest home.” Kingsley Amis

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Quote Originally Posted by slofox View Post
    The only thing I think heated grips lack is the ability to heat your fingernails - because they face into the wind and the warm bit is on the inside of your fingers, the nail side can still freeze in really frosty conditions. I have been known to tuck a few fingers at a time up so they contact the warm bit.
    Oh dear god! this thread should be in Biker Angels

Bike
    Mine
    Quote Originally Posted by willytheekid View Post
    ...did ya try some hair spray?
    I thought lubricating the bars would stop the glue sticking.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Not if you use hairspray/lipstick (flavoured) nail polish (any colour) a powder puff and or hair removing wax.... apparently

Bike
    89 GPX750, 06KLR650
    Have had Oxford heated grips on my bike for about 3-4 years. First switch failed in about 3 months due to water getting in. With the replacement I sealed around the back plate, and wiring with silicon sealant and they are still going strong although the Left grip is starting to become a bit worn. I think they are good value and great in the colder months.
    Paul’s Adventure riding Photo’s

Latest photo's

Paved Roads are just another example of Wasted Taxpayer Dollars

Bike
    Nah, old school way of sticking them on

The hairspray lubes the grip up to enable an easy fit...then when the alcohol in the hair spray evaporates the sticky hair glue stuff is all that's left, hence it then acts like glue!

...look it up, it works great

...I lean into it!

Bike
    Mine
    Quote Originally Posted by willytheekid View Post
    Nah, old school way of sticking them on

The hairspray lubes the grip up to enable an easy fit...then when the alcohol in the hair spray evaporates the sticky hair glue stuff is all that's left, hence it then acts like glue!

...look it up, it works great
    Aha! So the hair spray IS the glue. Clever thinking Batman!

Bike
    09 Bonneville, 79 SR500
    I've always used Ados F2 contact glue. Slop it on and slide the grip on straight away. It's slimy while it's wet and works as a great lube but won't let go once it's set.
    The views expressed above may not match yours - But that's the reason my Dad went to war - wasn't it?
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, .... but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out,... shouting "man, what a ride"!!!

Bike
    my little pony
    Quote Originally Posted by born disturbed View Post
    I have had a set of Daytonas on my Hylystrung for a few years, 3 modes: Off, On (warm when parked, not when moving) & Start (Read as so frigging hot your skin burns). I had these wired from the battery with 10amp fuse to a 30amp relay which is triggered from the horn circuit (on with ignition only). Grips have lasted well but the element in the rhs has died & I'm absolutely sick to death of burnt hands when running them in the cold/wet (steam burns suck). Time to swap them out for Oxfords I reckon, 4 modes sounds delightful
    I made a PMW (pulse width modulation circuit), you can get a kit from jaycar, that is variable like a oven simmerstat. Just use off and start and wind the pot up or down for heat control. Needs to be able to handle 6 amps. Another way is to switch some 10Amp diodes in series with the grips to drop the voltage. A bit crude but should work.

Bike
    07 Suzuki SV1000S & 07 Hyosung GT250R
    Bloody top idea Koldrider , I had thought of organising a pot into the setup with basic 2 way switch for power duties. Time to go see if the throttle side grip can be resurrected or I will be buying some Oxfords sooner rather than later.

Thread Information