Thread: Suzuki uz50 Lets4 where is the restrictor

Bike
    suzuki uz50 lets4

Suzuki uz50 Lets4 where is the restrictor

Just purchased second hand a 2012 uz50, It's mint and done very little work, so far I really impressed with it, but it does exactly 50km/h and I believe I can do a liittle better.

there is stuff all info on this bike on the internet.

My understanding is when the dealer recieves this bike they choose to fit the restrictor to it or not, I think it's a washer in the exhaust that needs to be drilled out , but I may be wrong.

anyone have any info on this and where I can find it, I'm positive this bike should do 60km/h

Bike
    suzuki uz50 lets4
    Quote Originally Posted by jono mud slogger View Post
    Just purchased second hand a 2012 uz50, It's mint and done very little work, so far I really impressed with it, but it does exactly 50km/h and I believe I can do a liittle better.

there is stuff all info on this bike on the internet.

My understanding is when the dealer recieves this bike they choose to fit the restrictor to it or not, I think it's a washer in the exhaust that needs to be drilled out , but I may be wrong.

anyone have any info on this and where I can find it, I'm positive this bike should do 60km/h
    Upon further investigation I can confirm the restrictor is a small 10mm spacer in the belt drive assembly. this spacer restricts the belt from moving over any further as the speed gets up.

upon moving the cover the front of the belt drive assembly is some gears etc.... mostly related to the kick start. But the rear has some fly wheel arangement with some big spring thing.

Can anyone tell me where this spacer thing is, or where to look for it. I don't want to rip this thing to bits completly blind.

Bike
    Yamaha XV250
    Blog Entries
    Check this website out, I have found several sites that describe removing the restrictor washer on the front transmission.

http://www.49ccscoot.com/budget.html

Just google scooter modifications. Most can have their top speeds raised slightly by modifying the transmission parts. Start messing about with the engine and the problems can be never ending. Simplist way to a faster scooter, buy something bigger.
    " Rule books are for the Guidance of the Wise, and the Obedience of Fools"

Bike
    suzuki uz50 lets4
    thanks for that, started messing around in the front bit of the belt drive assembly and found the little 10mm restrictor washer and removed it, it was pretty easy really, my scooter did 50km/h know it does 60km/h, i'm happy with that.

Bike
    suzuki uz50 lets4

UZ50 statistics, hows it going

Just an update to anyone that is interested, the bike goes great, 4 strokes seem to get a bad wrap by the young ones which annoys me, I find my bike much quicker than many of the two strokes out there, and is fine for town commuting.

So far I've done exactly 1494 km and spend exactly $86.73 on fuel, that works out to 0.058 cents per km or say 6 cents a km

I travel 80km a week on my scooter, so on petrol it costs me $4.64 cents per week to travel to and from work.

every 5000km I replace the oil ( Aprox $25 once a year ) i am 186cm tall and 86kgs, so I'm a average adult build.

pretty impressive statistics I recon.

As long as I remain safe and alert on the road, seems like it was a good sound economic descision to get this scooter.

happy motoring

Bike
    Suzuki lets 2

Suzuki AZ 50 restrictor

Hey mate, new to this but want to derestrict my Suzuki AZ 50 whuch I think will be similar to what you did a few years ago. Are you able to explain some detail about how you did it/found it? Cheers

Bike
    2007 Gilera Runner
    Scooters usually have the spacer-restrictor in the front half of the variator (the belt drive transmission thing). Take off the transmission cover, and you should see two pulleys with a belt in between. Remove the nut holding the front pulley on. This can be difficult as the pulley just spins the engine if you turn the nut; i had to use a spark plug wrench to grip the pulley, but be careful you dont slip and damage it. Once the nut is off, slide the front half of the pulley off. Take care not to drop and lose the myriad of spacers and washers that will probably come out with it. The restrictor will be a plastic washer that slides over the shaft between the two pulleys. It works by preventing the two pulley halves from closing together fully and pushing the belt up to higher gear ratios. It is basically like preventing your bike from ever shifting beyond fourth gear, so it can never reach its true top speed.
    The spacer will be plastic and sits over a shiny metal tube which in turn sits over the shaft. It should be very obvious. If you cant see it straight away, it probably isnt there; dont go taking out random parts as they might actually be important to the scooter's operation.
    In addition to this, some scooters also have thin metal washers (1-0.5mm in thickness) that sit directly over the shaft between the pulley face and the shiny metal tube that covers the shaft. You may be able to remove this washer and gain an extra 3-4 km/h top speed, though this will effectively up-gear the scooter and slow its acceleration down.
    If the other half of the pulley (still on the shaft) moves too much, you may see plastic parts drop out of it: these are the rollers that control the gear ratio as you ride. If this happens, slide the rest of the assembly off. Putting them back in place is trivial however you should look it up just to make sure everything goes back correctly.
    After removing the washer, replace the pulley half and all removed parts, and retighten the nut, making sure that the belt is clear of the pulley and you are not simply re-tightening the pulley against the belt rather than against the other half of the assembly. On some scooters, the nut is shaped to splay out and lock when it is first tightened, so you may want to replace this nut with a new one before reassembling. Otherwise, put some loctite on the thread and just do it up really tight in general. Replace the transmission cover and enjoy your extra top speed.
    Not all scooters are restricted this way. If your 50cc scooter does more than 60 km/h, then it is probably just a lack of power holding it back, or the transmission is simply not designed with any higher gear ratios than what it is getting. In addition to this, some scooters also have power restrictors in the exhaust or carb that a mechanic will usually remove for you.

Thread Information