Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Crashes, Falls and Drops

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Blog Entries
    Motorcycling's a risky business, no doubt, it's also a very personal one IMHO. So I wouldn't worry too much about what's happening to the people around you, since when you're on the bike it's you and only you who can manage your own risk. We all make mistakes, though, being human, so nothing is 100% safe, and learning from other's mistakes can be helpful.

I'm another who's been fortunate enough to have been riding mostly in and around Auckland city for 20 odd years or more and had one low speed crash on the road in that time - my own fault. Other than that I've managed to manage the risks in a way which works for me: ride well within my abilities, don't assume anything when it comes to other traffic, make sure I position myself where I can be seen or others expect to see me etc.

Last time I ended up with the bike on the ground was in front of a line of traffic at the entrance to a service station after a brain fade going over a wet plastic judder bar ...I wish that had been my own driveway.
    Moe: Well, I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt. I mean not that fancy store bought dirt. That stuffs loaded with nutrients. I...I can't compete with that stuff.
    - The Simpsons

Bike
    Custom Ag100
    The environment plays a big part in risk involved for collisions eg riding in traffic, slippery conditions etc. learn to identify these and ride accordingly.

Drops and single vehicle crashes are usually solely the riders fault and once again try to learn how to identify, eg instruction, track days.

Saying that 'shit always happens' and in 25+ years riding I've only dropped a stationary bike once and had a minor drop of traillie on the road(front wash out on metal at night)

Fwiw
    "Sorry Officer, umm.... my yellow power band got stuck wide open"

Bike
    Seven years On the road 100000km under my belt & no problems then one day i drop the bike in the driveway while moving it to take a photo.

Bike
    2008, Honda CBR600RR
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
    The environment plays a big part in risk involved for collisions eg riding in traffic, slippery conditions etc. learn to identify these and ride accordingly.

Drops and single vehicle crashes are usually solely the riders fault and once again try to learn how to identify, eg instruction, track days.

Saying that 'shit always happens' and in 25+ years riding I've only dropped a stationary bike once and had a minor drop of traillie on the road(front wash out on metal at night)

Fwiw
    Fwiw?

Ok hearing these I've not had crashes posts are comforting lol.

Does anyone know our stats? How many riders we have currently and how many crashes and fatalities we have a year?
    What's the point in living if you don't feel alive?

Toying with ones mortality shouldn't be this much fun.

Bike
    one that goes
    Quote Originally Posted by Juniper View Post
    But some of these riders were/are seasoned riders that know what they are doing.
    Were / are seasoned riders. I would think not.. Go get yourself some good training. No substitute for time on the road and a quick mind set. But first you have to have a few clues about what you are doing.

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Fwiw?

Does anyone know our stats? How many riders we have currently and how many crashes and fatalities we have a year?
    Don't get caught up with statistics, your concentration should solely be on you not becoming one.
    If the subject matter is of concern to you, can I suggest that you get in touch with a Licensed Instructor for a couple of hours (maybe more) tutor?.. there are Female Instructors near you.
    Being such a new rider and riding with other new riders all the time will not help further your road craft...or ease the intimidation of riding with cars (other bikes) around you.

http://www.rcsom.co.nz/

Bike
    Fwiw?

No idea on the Stats of crashing and fatalites ...... But i can tell you my stats on how much fun & enjoyment i have every time i swing my leg over the bike ...... approx F@#KIN HEAPS

Bike
    2008, Honda CBR600RR
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Maha View Post
    Don't get caught up with statistics, your concentration should solely be on you not becoming one.
    If the subject matter is of concern to you, can I suggest that you get in touch with a Licensed Instructor for a couple of hours (maybe more) tutor?.. there are Female Instructors near you.
    Being such a new rider and riding with other new riders all the time will not help further your road craft...or ease the intimidation of riding with cars (other bikes) around you.

http://www.rcsom.co.nz/
    Why would I want female? My advantage is that I don't have a penis to worry about squishing into the tank. My disadvantage is lack of strength.

Though yes I do need to get proper instruction. Mates or random people on KB lol offering and all that is fine and dandy but yes, your right instruction would be good.

I want to be a statistic. A statistic of riders who have not killed themselves or others and have not seriously damaged their bikes but enjoys riding on a regular basis.

I do tho still want to know the other stats.

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Why would I want female? My advantage is that I don't have a penis to worry about squishing into the tank. My disadvantage is lack of strength.

Though yes I do need to get proper instruction. Mates or random people on KB lol offering and all that is fine and dandy but yes, your right instruction would be good.

I want to be a statistic. A statistic of riders who have not killed themselves or others and have not seriously damaged their bikes but enjoys riding on a regular basis.

Any Licensed Instructor will be suffice. I now firmly believe that's what you need for typing such things as ''Like the gentle egging to push limits'' and ''That's why I bought leather. I want an open casket'' coming from a new rider maybe just bullshit/bravado and hype, but do yourself a favour and put paid to those comments by enrolling sooner rather than later.

Bike
    a red heap
    So you know DMNTD then? Say hi for me.

Bike
    Speed Triple 1050, '89 Spada
    I've had about 3 stationary drops (all within the first 6 months) and one crash in about 6 years of riding. all were 100% my fault. a bad rider crashes and blames someone else. a good rider may crash but acknowledge he was to blame. a great rider realises he can prevent "accidents" and never crashes
    Quote Originally Posted by FlangMaster
    I had a strange dream myself. You know that game some folk play on the streets where they toss coins at the wall and what not? In my dream they were tossing my semi hardened stool at the wall. I shit you not.

Bike
    Speed Triple 1050, '89 Spada

my partner is slim and rides a 230kg bonneville no problems. it comes down to technique and planning ahead (ie. don't park down a slope facing downhill etc..) and that applies to all of us really. once you get experience, good mentoring and develop technique and confidence, you won't worry about strength.
    Quote Originally Posted by FlangMaster
    I had a strange dream myself. You know that game some folk play on the streets where they toss coins at the wall and what not? In my dream they were tossing my semi hardened stool at the wall. I shit you not.

Bike
    2008, Honda CBR600RR
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Maha View Post
    Any Licensed Instructor will be suffice. I now firmly believe that's what you need for typing such things as ''Like the gentle egging to push limits'' and ''That's why I bought leather. I want an open casket'' coming from a new rider maybe just bullshit/bravado and hype, but do yourself a favour and put paid to those comments by enrolling sooner rather than later.
    Sorry I my not have introduced my morbid, sadistic, sardonic and totally inappropriate sense of humour and seriousness of the Internet.
    If my comments seem off or strange it probably means I am taking the piss while analysing the seriousness (or lack there of) of the situation or topic.

I commend you on your wonderful memory. And yes as I have said I have taken heed of your advice and will seek out an instructor.
    Though I still do enjoy my gentle egging. As without it I would sit there looking at my bike still too scared to get on it. But knowing someone else is just like me we can take the steps together. Like planning to go to lessons together so that we aren't there by ourselves.

Bike
    2008, Honda CBR600RR
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nodrog View Post
    so you know dmntd then? Say hi for me.
    ....dmntd???

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Go see Phil at Riderskills. Worth every cent.

Make sure your bike is set up for you so things like reaching levers etc are not a distraction.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Thread Information