Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Slippery roads

Bike
    '09 Bandit 1250s

Slippery roads

I've always been fairly confident in the rain. But in the last few weeks I've been through a couple of roads that even my lil bike spun up the rear wheel.

It's that shiny tar! The first instance was at a T intersection, the back wheel was locking up under downshifting/braking (very slow braking without even touching the front brake). When I took off slowly the back wheel suddenly broke traction and I entered the road sideway. Fun and scarey all in one.

The second instance was this arvo coming from Bombay up the hill towards Pukekohe, I was overtaking a few cars before the yellow lines, as I turned back into my lane the rear wheel skidded out to the right then in my lane it skidded out to the left. Heart racing!

I'm thinking my rear tire hasn't got as much wet grip as my old one

Bike
    A Red German one.
    Quote Originally Posted by haydes55 View Post
    I've always been fairly confident in the rain. But in the last few weeks I've been through a couple of roads that even my lil bike spun up the rear wheel.

It's that shiny tar! The first instance was at a T intersection, the back wheel was locking up under downshifting/braking (very slow braking without even touching the front brake). When I took off slowly the back wheel suddenly broke traction and I entered the road sideway. Fun and scarey all in one.

The second instance was this arvo coming from Bombay up the hill towards Pukekohe, I was overtaking a few cars before the yellow lines, as I turned back into my lane the rear wheel skidded out to the right then in my lane it skidded out to the left. Heart racing!

FWIW, I think the long hot summer, has fucked the road surface. There are plenty of places around Franklin, which are very, very slippery now.
    I jumped on the ABS brakes in my Ute. Doing 100kph as a test , a few days ago, and got a skid on the shiny stuff. Even the ABS couldn't help.

It is slowly becoming a danger riding in the wet. Until the Mighty super city decides to reseal some roads. Which is unlikely, as the fun roads, are the back roads.

"No matter what bike you ride. It's all the same wind in your face"

Bike
    ducati 900ss f650
    Is you new tyre duel compound?

I agree that the road surfaces are not the best, but the reality is that it's not going to improve any time soon

So ride to your ability and the conditions

Bike
    '09 Bandit 1250s
    Na single compound, if it was a dual compound it would of been the issue, because both times would of occurred on the harder central compound.

Yea blardy gubermint!!!!

Shiny side up, even on the shiny stuff!

Bike
    Mine
    I travel that stretch of road daily. Last week I had exactly the same thing happen in exactly the same spot. I had just wound open the throttle at the time. Instinctual closing of the throttle got the rear to re-grip and all was back tonormal. The funny thing is that it didn't worry me at all. I've had the back skip out enough times over the last few decades (tyres in the '80s didn't have the grip they do today) that I'm kind of used to it.

I'm with boman. I think the major factor is that we're now getting a lot of rain after a long dry spell. All the oils that accumulate in the dry roads are coming to the surface.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

"Live to Ride, Ride to Live"

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Quote Originally Posted by swbarnett View Post

I'm with boman. I think the major factor is that we're now getting a lot of rain after a long dry spell. All the oils that accumulate in the dry roads are coming to the surface.
    Absolutely correct.....long sunny dry followed by sudden wet=OMG!
    Add the seasonal pine needle fall into the scenario and things can go tits up real quick.

Bike
    05' Zx6r
    Bro that black tar is slippery as fuck I had a low speed low side under slow light braking just as you mentioned. It wasn't even raining just a litle bit of morning dew on a Sunny morning was enough to make it lethal.. Watch that black tar aye

Bike
    one that goes
    You have identified the problem, 'black tar' = slip. So now you can handle it. Take care in the rain or for that matter anytime.

Bike
    2000 Honda Hornet 600
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your beliefs don't make you a better person, your behaviour does.

Bike
    Honda Foreman, now

eek

Quote Originally Posted by Tigadee View Post
    Useful vid that, thanks for the link.

Now to find out how to ride safely down a wet gravel track covered in pine cones, pine needles, pine branches and worn out tree fellers ...

Bike
    R100GSPD
    Quote Originally Posted by GazzaH View Post
    Useful vid that, thanks for the link.

Now to find out how to ride safely down a wet gravel track covered in pine cones, pine needles, pine branches and worn out tree fellers ...
    as above but with even more gradual inputs

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Na single compound, if it was a dual compound it would of been the issue, because both times would of occurred on the harder central compound.
    Isnt it the centre is about the same and the outer is softer but everything would be brand and model dependent.

High silica and plenty of well designed groves is the key but you trade one quality to get another.
    You want to try pushing some super corsa sp tyres in the wet.
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    2000 kawasaki zzr1100, 88 1500 goldwing
    been happening for years, i remember back in about 01 on a trip up north and riding the desert road in torrential rain and having the rear wheel spin up just cruising, then a couple of year ago while passing a truck in rain and lighting the rear up half way past, few other times on lesser scales but it happens

Bike
    A slow old Bus.a.
    Blog Entries
    Lane position also helps with this.

If you're following the tyre track of the cars (either left or right track depending on the traffic around you and escape room / need to project presence), then there will likely be less oil and diesel. Obviously, the centre of the lane, right under the centre of vehicles, will accumulate more diesel and petrol. As soon as it rains for the first time in a few days or even weeks (not likely in Auckland I guess), then that slippery stuff will rise to the surface.

What difference does it make in the real world? Well, on my GSXR, I can crack open the throttle just a little going up the Auckland Hubba bridge and in the centre of the lane, it'll just wheel spin for as long as I want. In either lane, not as much.

Clearly, tar snakes, metal grates, man hole covers etc are to be avoided - or crossed with near zero lean or turn angle.

Now, to put this in perspective. If I poured 10 litres of diesel on a polished concrete floor, you wouldn't be able to walk across it. Even a litre of petrol and a bunch of water is still slippery as all hell. You can often smell spilled diesel before you hit it. And you can almost always see the rainbow on the street. Treat it like dealing with a PMS infected mad cow - no sudden moves, and exit gently before you get hurt.

PS - sorry if this is sounding like I'm telling experienced riders to suck eggs. This is aimed instead at the noobs who will read this long after we've forgotten.
    PPS - learn to ride a MX bike, get comfortable with the back of the bike moving around. Sliding is fun. Drifting in cars is for assholes who can't ride.
    It’s diametrically opposed to the sanitised existence of the Lemmings around me in the Dilbert Cartoon hell I live in; it’s life at full volume, perfect colour with high resolution and 10,000 watts of amplification.

Bike
    Yo momma

I'm thinking you're twisting the go grip a bit too much for the conditions.

Thread Information