Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Strange happenings with my bike

Bike
    2000 Honda Hornet 600

Strange happenings with my bike

It started three weeks ago on a ride in the country and the bike hiccupped twice. That means cut out for a second and then continued like normal then cut out again 10 secs later for another sec, then resumed working. Nothing else happened for another week when I was traveling home on the motorway when the bike again hiccuped once.

Last night, I tried for 10 secs to start the bike and it wouldn't. Lights strong and bright, kill switch off, bike in neutral... After 10 -12 secs, engine turned over.

This morning, I turned on the bike and hit the start switch. Nothing, this time for about 30 secs. Headlight dimmed each time I tried to start, but no sound, nothing at all. After about 30 secs, I think I heard a faint *tick* sound somewhere and the engine turns over and off I go after a warm up period.

On the motorway, the bike suddenly starts losing power and I pulled over. Engine is dead but right after I stop, I could start it again and continued on to work without a hitch.

Is it the cold? Dirty or deteriorated air filter? Fuel filter clogged?

Sparks and engine oil/filter are new (few months old), battery always seemed fine, and the bike always started without hesitation before.

I'll have George (MC Doctor) look at it but a bit cash-strapped at the moment so would like some ideas of what may be wrong before calling him.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your beliefs don't make you a better person, your behaviour does.

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    I'd be looking for loom gremlins, particularly in the RHS switchgear, as that has the kill and starter buttons right? so if something was going wrong, it could potentially make it stop running, or stop starting, but leave the headlights going fine.
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    Various things
    You haven't just got a loose/bad batt connection have ya?

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasherfromwayback View Post
    If the headlights are unaffected I wouldn't think so...
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    2000 Honda Hornet 600
    Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    I'd be looking for loom gremlins, particularly in the RHS switchgear, as that has the kill and starter buttons right? so if something was going wrong, it could potentially make it stop running, or stop starting, but leave the headlights going fine.
    Will do, thanks for helping me start somewhere...

Quote Originally Posted by Crasherfromwayback View Post
    Crap if I know! Bloody battery's buried down somewhere I can't even see it after taking the seat off...

Yeah I know, time to look at the manual...

Bike
    Various things
    Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    If the headlights are unaffected I wouldn't think so...
    I hear ya...but stranger things have happened. I always start with this...K.I.S.S. A mate of mine's Diesel ute was having ex the problem the other week. Lights worked a treat..just no starter motor. Lose neg terminal.

Bike
    RATS & RICE
    Blog Entries
    This sounds similar to what Monies VFR was doing...

We traced it too a loose battery terminal,The bike has a motobatt battery and it was loose where the terminal bolts to the battery,not where the lead is connected to the terminal...so cheak your battery.

But would still look into the switch blocks too as it could be as simple as having dirty/rusty conections,before pulling them apart get some CRC or similar electrical spray and spray into the switchblocks till they are well saturated and don't be shy.

Bike
    Various things
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigadee View Post
    Crap if I know! Bloody battery's buried down somewhere I can't even see it after taking the seat off...

Yeah I know, time to look at the manual...
    Maybe a lil plastic tool tray to remove first?

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDGT
    It started three weeks ago on a ride in the country and the bike hiccupped twice. That means cut out for a second and then continued like normal then cut out again 10 secs later for another sec, then resumed working. Nothing else happened for another week when I was traveling home on the motorway when the bike again hiccuped once.

Last night, I tried for 10 secs to start the bike and it wouldn't. Lights strong and bright, kill switch off, bike in neutral... After 10 -12 secs, engine turned over.

This morning, I turned on the bike and hit the start switch. Nothing, this time for about 30 secs. Headlight dimmed each time I tried to start, but no sound, nothing at all. After about 30 secs, I think I heard a faint *tick* sound somewhere and the engine turns over and off I go after a warm up period.

On the motorway, the bike suddenly starts losing power and I pulled over. Engine is dead but right after I stop, I could start it again and continued on to work without a hitch.

Is it the cold? Dirty or deteriorated air filter? Fuel filter clogged?

Sparks and engine oil/filter are new (few months old), battery always seemed fine, and the bike always started without hesitation before.

I'll have George (MC Doctor) look at it but a bit cash-strapped at the moment so would like some ideas of what may be wrong before calling him.
    I agree with Crasher,as you say your headlight was dimming when you were attempting to start bike, check your battery terminals and also where battery earth cable attaches to chassis/engine.

Bike
    2000 Honda Hornet 600
    Will do, gentlemen! Thanks for the pointers and I'll let you know what I find...

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    'at'll learn ya for buying a yammy.

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    Bloody down countriers! Yakzel, you leave off da Yammies OK.
    Tig , come over for a ride lets put her on the table and give her the once over, no worries.
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    Triple Delight

Ahhhhhhhh, the Radian cough. I know it very well Give me a mo, and I will find the threads I have on here about the cough and how to fix it

If I can anyone can

Hint, it is dirty fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Gubb View Post
    Nonono,

He rides the Leprachhaun at the end of the Rainbow. Usually goes by the name Anne McMommus

Bike
    2000 Honda Hornet 600
    Quote Originally Posted by caseye View Post
    Tig , come over for a ride lets put her on the table and give her the once over, no worries.
    Table... Wait till everyone hears what this table is!

Thanks for the offer, may just do that...

Bike
    Triple Delight

I changed her name in the end

Once the Blue Lovely, she became the Blue Bitch

Wonderful bikes, but I will guarantee this is your problem

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...ht=blue+lovely
    Quote Originally Posted by Gubb View Post
    Nonono,

He rides the Leprachhaun at the end of the Rainbow. Usually goes by the name Anne McMommus

Thread Information