Thread: quickbuck's Bridgestone VMCC Winter Series Round 2

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X

quickbuck's Bridgestone VMCC Winter Series Round 2

Hi All,
    Round 2 of the Bridgestone Victoria Motorcycle Club Championship Winter
    Series was held at Magic Manfeild. It has been 5 weeks since the last round. The
    sun was out in full force, and air temperature warming up. There was no wind, so we
    were in for a cracker day.

Qualifying:

We got the call up to the qualifying, and I was first out there. I wanted to get a clear
    track. I took things easy to begin with and followed Zane Burrell and Danial Phillipson
    around for a bit on their 150 2-Strokes. I progressively got faster and faster once I
    had a clear track. On the last lap I got passed by a very fast F4 Bike. It was Rich Ban
    on his hyper FXR150 with a very trick chassis on Slicks. I drafted him down the back
    straight and passed him into the last corner. This gave me a lap of 1:32.603, but was
    0.173 seconds too slow as Rich pipped me for Pole!

Race 1:

I got my bike nice and warm during the warm-up lap and made my way to the #2 grid
    spot, and sat patiently while the rest of the field lined up behind me. As the lights
    came on one by one I got the revs right up to the best launch point, and as soon as
    they went out I dropped the clutch. I managed a ripper start, and was first out of turn
    1. I managed to hold the lead for a little bit, and then Rich came past me and took
    over. I rode the wheels off trying to catch him, but the exuberance was causing me to
    make mistakes…. I did ride better than 5 weeks ago though and did a fastest lap of
    1:31.324 and a 250 Production Win. 25 Championship points.

Race 2:

This was the last race before the lunch break, and I wanted to make up for being
    beaten by a “Bucket” (The nick name for F4 Bikes.. .a name that goes back to
    the 80’s). So it was full concentration. I got another awesome start, and lead out
    of turn one. Rich wanted this one badly too, so managed to get past, and then
    disappear. Not so much this time, but by the end of the race I was really looking
    forward to lunch! Riding was consistent again and I managed a 1:31.550. Another
    250 Production win with 75 Championship points. Mark-Antoine on the Hyosung
    was getting closer though, so a bit of a threat. “New comer” Simon Robson was also
    getting to grips with his Ninja 250r and could well be a threat next race.

Race 3:

Okay, THIS time I was going to improve some more and beat Rich across the line. As
    the lights went out I headed into turn 1. This time Zane Burrell on his RG150 decided
    he was going to have a battle and lead me out. In avoiding him apparently I cut in
    front of Rich who was heading up the inside from Pole Position. I then managed
    to get past Zane in Turn 3 and I was in the lead. I put my head down and went for
    it. Rich wasn’t going to let me get away, and did a big dive bomb pass on me into
    Higgins. So I drafted him down the back straight and lead him through the corner
    formally known as Dunlop. The lead changes went on for the whole race, and at
    one point Rich was trying to pass me on the outside of the corner formally known
    as Dunlop down the rumble strip…. I looked across at him down the straight and he
    was still grinning from ear to ear. Then on the last lap going into the esses I missed a
    down change, and Rich capitalised on this and gapped me too much. Gutted I didn’t
    cross the line first, but still another class win. Marc-Antoine said it was the best race
    he has watched in ages, and was hoping I would beat Rich. I managed my fastest lap
    of 1:31.412 on lap 2, and to prove the bike (or me) can’t go any faster in the warmer
    air temperature I did a 1:31.412 on lap 3!

So with the round win and 75 out of 75 points secure in the Championship with 147
    points and a lead of 14 points I was pleased with the results overall. It is far from in
    the bag yet.

Round 3 is at Manfeild on July 13th.

Thanks go to:

ProRider: The track time, and tips I pick up are invaluable.
    Forbes and Davies: for awesome Dunlop tyres and gear.
    Celtic Leathers: Still look great.

RNZAF (especially Pauly Martin at the Paint Shop): The paint work is still shiny
    Race Fairings: The best replica Ninja 250R fairings out there.
    City Honda: Service with a smile.

My partner Coral for all the support on the day and at home.

Last but by no means least, the Victoria Motor Cycle Club for putting on an awesome
    Day.

For those that are interested the footage from all the racing can be purchased on
    DVD from www.ctaslive.co.nz. Or you can watch it race by race for $2.50 each or $20
    for the lot for 30 days!

Visit: http://mylaps.com/en/events/911297 for all the results.

Bike
    NSR300 F3, ME BUCKET
    Good to relive that through you race report. Man that was fun. My poor little bike is still recovering with a burnt out clutch, broken subframe and leaking fork seals. She was pushed past its limit it seams. Or that stuff was due to go anyway. Every now and again it nice to show the rest of the racers that Buckets are just not knackered old A50's on cross ply's.

I really have new respect for Manfield. Tricker than it looks.

Until we met again Mr QuickBuck.

Oh yeah and Massive thanks to the vic club team. Super pro unit that you are.

Thread Information