Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Questions you're too embarrassed to ask

Bike
    XJR1220
    My friend has a GN250 that failed to start this morning. It appears that the battery has gone flat. My question is, can I slap in onto my car charger to recharge, or will the battery blow up or something similar?

Bike
    06 Transalp
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Drum
    My friend has a GN250 that failed to start this morning. It appears that the battery has gone flat. My question is, can I slap in onto my car charger to recharge, or will the battery blow up or something similar?
    Yup, you can, or riding for a while will charge it enough.

To start a bike with a flat battery you can bump start quite easily use 2nd or 3rd gear.
    Motorbike only search
    YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - CRC AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE CRC. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE

Bike
    Honda PC800
    depending when the leak happens etc etc---but one thing 100% certain
    NEVER snap the throttle off -you will end up on ya ass so fast ya wont know wot hit ya--same with slamming the brakes on
    gently ease the throttle off and use the brake on the wheel that doesn't have the leak--This is the one exception to the use the front brakes mostly rule. if the bars start to shimmy ease the throttle back on a touch till the shimmy settles. the secret is to be gentle and expect a bit of bar wobble
    Unfortunately I had the misfortune to have explosive decomression on a 900 ninja so im talking fact not theory here.
    If you wanna definition of fear--try a full on uncontrollable tankslapper at 240km/h -oops--oll finger slipped 240
    Last edited by FROSTY; 10th October 2005 at 15:22.
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    Quote Originally Posted by FROSTY
    If you wanna definition of fear--try a full on uncontrollable tankslapper at 2540km/h -
    Well, since the wheels would be well clear of ground by then, I imagine it would be fine until the time came to land
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    1990 Kawasaki Zxr250
    Quote Originally Posted by Drum
    My first stupid question is (and this one comes from my missus'):

What do you do if you get a flat tyre?

p.s. Please feel free to chastise me for my newbie ignorance if it makes you feel big/ important
    You may have asked the question, but there will be a dozen other people, and not always newbies reading all the answers posted.
    Newbies dont normal get hounded here. Its the older riders that get it when they do something non life threatening

Bike
    2004 krr zx150

Ok, my stupid question...

When you go to change down (in my case anyway) and somehow miss the gear and end up in a clunky sounding netural, is this what people mean by "false netural"or should I be looking at my gearbox?

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    Quote Originally Posted by sefer
    When you go to change down (in my case anyway) and somehow miss the gear and end up in a clunky sounding netural, is this what people mean by "false netural"or should I be looking at my gearbox?
    Yes, that's a "false neutral". You've disengaged one gear, and failed to engage the other. and sorting it out can be nosiy and nasty. It's not actually anything in the gearbox (though a worn gearbox may make changes harder and false neutrals more common)
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    2004 krr zx150
    Woo Hoo, cool thanks I'd thought thats what people must have been talking about

Has happened before and I wasn't too concerned, but it happened three times today. Probably just because I was riding on the hills and changing on higher revs than what I usually would.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    I've hit false neutral a few times for sure, usually, engage clutch, change gear, but before I've finished, I've let the clutch out and it gets stuck halfway.

Clutchless shifting gets rid of it and gives you better acceleration...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Honda Magna 750 - go Black Betty
    One of my mates and I were going out for a ride when he got a fast flat. Luckily for him there was a man who had been riding forever moving his kids into a flat. He dumped the furniture, offered to help us out. He put the bike on the trailer and he dropped us home about 15 mins away.

The next day when the bike shop was open we took a hand pump with us and stopped every 500 m to pump the tire back up and stopped at all petrol stations on the way there to refil the tyre.

We got to the last petrol station when the tyre decided it had enough, deflating just as fast as my mate was rescrewing the cap on. We went in the phone the bikeshop to see if they could pick up but they didn't do that anymore.

Lucky for my mate again there was a man who worked at the station who had a van just big enough to fit his marauder. He offered to help, loaded the bike into the van and then dropped the bike and my mate at the bike shop about 1.5 kms away.
    Again just another random stranger who acted out of kindness!
    The guys at the bike shop had it replaced in no time flat and we were off riding soon after that.

Yay for the wonderful strangers who helped out! Gives you hope that not all New Zealanders don't care huh!

Bike
    1990 Kawasaki Zxr250
    Yea, thats always good.
    The other way is to keep a few number in your phone of people that are always on the forome and ask them to put a post up here asking for help.
    Probably cost u a dozen or something sweet like that.
    Flats are never any fun tho

Bike
    CBR1000RR
    Blog Entries

The question I was always too afraid to ask...

How do you stop the loo paper from 'sticking' sometimes...

y'know like after a really good/bad curry - or a large night out drinking lion red or summat...

1/2 way through a good wipe and WOOPS...paper's stuck and the hand didn't stop.

Bike
    Left Jandal
    MDU ya stingy punk! Invest in some good quality 4ply, and fold numerous times, then avoid the dreaded finger thru - unless your a scruncher, in which case you should just dip ur ass into a bucket full of water and wiggle while listening to some Nelly or whatever music you girate (sp) to.

Although, good curry/red makes my dumps runny. Take some magnesium or turbo lax. That's help the world fall out your bottom!

My question - what causes tank slappers?

False neutrals only happen when girls are watching - if you see a nice looking chick you want to impress....don't change gear!
    In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Bike
    1987 Nifty 50
    Never a truer word spoken- its hit me many times outside cafes filled with hot womenfolk -Doh!!
    "Not one day that we are here on this earth has been promised to us, so make the most of every day as if it was your last, and every breath ,as if it were the same"

Thread Information