Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Questions you're too embarrassed to ask

Bike
    1990 Kawasaki Zxr250
    damm the looks freaky

Bike
    Big ol' Hornet.
    Thats one helluva tankslappa!! OUCH! If you ever get a wobble on like that, dont put your feet down. Keep your feet on the pegs and grip the tank with your knees and slowly roll off the throttle.
    Years ago I had a huge tankslappa on my Impulse. Hit one of those knobbly lumps of seal on the center line and got very ugly very quick. Was doing about 130km/h but managed to hold onto it and ride it out. My petrol tap dug into my knee and nearly took my knee-cap off. My last big wobble was earlier this year on my mates ZZR1100, worn rear tyre, bumpy left hand corner over a small bridge. Amazed myself as I held on and didnt end up like the dude in the clip. Slowed me down for about 10 kms.
    Do not handicap your children by making their lives easy.
    Heinlein

MotoTT Trackdays

Bike
    77 XL250
    Some of the older bikes seemed to have tankslappers built in. EG. the GSX1100 ESE/ESF with the 16 inch front wheel. Both of mine had low speed problems, as in 50km and take hands off bars. If they hit a matchstick the front end went wild (seat stain time). At speed they were fine (one finger on the bar on 180 km corners)
    The best way to forget all your troubles is to wear tight underpants.

Bike
    1990 Kawasaki Zxr250

Dampeners

Well to add onto this then then, what and how do the dampeners on the larger bikes work then, arnt they there to stop tank slapping ?

Bike
    Left Jandal
    2much - dropping it front of a hottie, you could always pick yourself up, and say, damn! almost had it. then if she asks what you were trying, you could always make some shit up! you could be the man or the excuse making bitch tho.

Krayy at the mystery ride told me of Pyrocam executing an awesome skill from a bitchslapper at a group ride- you about Pyro? willing to share?

Bike
    Left Jandal
    Just saw the vid - GULP!!! That takes care of my Ego Bank (tm)!

Bike
    2020 ls650 boulevard
    anyone got tips for riding on gravel/fist sized stones? not overly confident on either. a close friend has the fist stones for a drive way, and also gravel at the end of his road. i know enough to relax my grip on the bars and let them go where they need rather than try and control them, but what else is handy to know?
    my blog: http://sunsthomasandfriends.weebly.com/index.html

the really happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery when on a detour.

Bike
    2004 krr zx150
    Go slow in 1st or 2nd, don't brake hard, look out for for deep patches of gravel (usually where cage tyres have pushed it to the side/middle), and pratice somewhere.

I've got a long gravel driveway and that's where I praticed riding my bike before I took it on the road, I find that gravel in general doesn't bother me too much anywhere now because I've had pratice slipping and sliding down the driveway.

I must admit I've dropped my bike on the drive twice now though pps: once going under 5k and hitting a deep patch, and once when I had just cleaned my bike and had the bright idea of testing the brakes, in the dark, on one of the deeper areas of the drive.. Slamming the front brake on on deep gravel when you can't see what's in front of you isn't one of the brighter ideas you can have

Bike
    Huski TE250 "04
    just thought ild add another tank slapper

edit: oops, same clip (it took me like 30 mins to download the other one on dial up)

Bike
    98tls&rs250
    Experience on a dirtbike is invaluable. keep your weight on the pegs, look far ahead in the direction you want to go. Don't make make any sudden changes of direction, follow the wheel tracks if there. And keep in a fairly high gear so that any small change in throttle doesn't do too much.

No 1 tip:
    practice, practice, practice

Bike
    PopTart Katoona
    Blog Entries
    Pretty much what everyone has said is correct, its the classic, practice makes perfect thing - i got to the point where i could drift the RG up dads nasty driveway (it made pikes peak like wide open smooth corners)....classic case of wanting a road legal trail bike....and only being able to afford the rg
    Reactor Online. Sensors Online. Weapons Online. All Systems Nominal.

Bike
    Left Jandal
    Do you stand on the pegs? I did this the other day, with relaxed grip, and was amazed that I didnt fall over even with the bike squirming the whole way. I was real tempted to give it more throttle and try and get the back out, but hotties were around so I just decided to pop a wheelie, and hang off the back with my feet to stablise. (not!)

Bike
    2020 ls650 boulevard
    havent tried standing on the pegs....will remember that next time. the road im thinking is about 30 mins out of town. will definatly head that way once the weathers cleared up some.

cheers :spudwave:

Bike
    Left Jandal
    shit, sorry sunhuntin - I wasnt suggesting - I was asking. I didnt really see much difference, but I thought if off-roaders do it, I shud try it

Bike
    2020 ls650 boulevard
    not a worry. actually could be a good idea. saw it on that long way round program once and have tried it going over speed bumps. find it harder to keep the throttle even, but balance isnt too bad. will try it next time i visit my friend with the fist stones and see what happens.

Thread Information