Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: VT250 carb issues

Bike
    Honda VF750f.
    Very nice, I love those things.
    For a man is a slave to whatever has mastered him. Keep an open mind, just dont let your brains fall out.

Bike
    2001 RF400RV
    Quote Originally Posted by unstuck View Post
    Very nice, I love those things.
    Tractors are what I do in my free time. I was brought up on ferguson. I have a ferrari badge and Lamborghini one somewhere, just finished a david brown 885 that after new rings, bearings, pistons etc etc on the first start had been sitting so long the pump jammed open and it ran away on me; fastest intake removal you've ever seen to stop the damn thing. Stop cable just pulled off in my hand like it was in a bad dream.

I had a gutsfull of the broken motor and hauled it out today, new motor with a little oil down the bores had 200+psi of compression once I was done with the valves, headgaskets etc etc All I wanted to know was it was sealing, being cold and unbedded rings I just threw in oil to check my valves weren't the issue. Leakdown is better but I've NFI where it is. Haven't put the new motor in because honda in their wisdom changed the side the clutch operates on, the cable works on the side with the clutch, great. The hydraulic on the new motor has a hollow mainshaft with a long pushrod through the mainshaft to the clutch on the other side. Clutches totally different, spent 3 hours messing around with that before deciding I'd had enough wasting my whole weekend on it. But at least everything else looks great. Bedtime I think, this 2:30am working on broken bikes stuff is draining, will be dreaming of those new valves and whatnot trying to forget that I'm spending money on a pissbox 250

Bike
    Honda VF750f.
    Fuck that would of been funny to see. If you are into tractors, check out the flicker link I put on the British leyland thread yesterday, some awesome stuff on there.

As for the bike, good luck. You dont have to be mental to be a bike enthusiast, but it helps.
    For a man is a slave to whatever has mastered him. Keep an open mind, just dont let your brains fall out.

Bike
    2001 RF400RV
    Ok I have a huge new problem, the carbs don't fit. They changed the port offset for some godforsaken reason on this new motor and I can't see any real way around it. Not throwing away all this work. Would just throw my heads on it but the cam chain drive on the crank is different. I can't throw the new cams in the other heads either because the cams are a different radius and don't fit. They look exactly the goddamn same, exactly. It's just when you go to actually put them on it doesn't work. What are my options here? I mean I'm looking at something like this

- Buy a set of carbs that fit
    - Fab the ones I've got to work somehow, new throttle linkage, retap and redo fuel fittings, cut and weld alloy airbox pan
    - Apply my skillset and spare megasquirt ecu to just throw a damn throttle plate and injector on the damn thing. Keep the CDI, run fuel only mode and probably amaze a whole bunch of people who have no idea what the hell it is I'm doing.

Changing things to work might be ok, I have a TIG welder and it's the kinda thing I do but I hate wasting time. Converting to EFI is sorta out of the question as I'd need to buy a pump, fab a return if it's not returnless and setup an injector, intake and throttle THEN tune it. Really neat stuff but not the kinda bike I'd do it to and huge waste of time really. Buying a set is my ideal but that means finding someone breaking one, finding the right ones and even then maybe they're shagged and I start this whole saga again. BRB pushing my honda in the the waikato river.

Suzuki blew a bunch of rollers off the chain tonight as well then spat it out on the road. About froze to death in the shed putting the fucking thing back together with a chain I completely pulled out of nowhere that was spare for my honda that thankfully had a proper droplink unlike the piece of shit I had to cut off the bike. Was late by then so decided to change the oil as well since my freetime for the day was a write off anyway; happy days. My cars aren't doing much better as of late either and it's not even that old. So someone sell me the wide spaced VT250 carbs whatever the hell they are or came from, pretty please?

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    What year is the motor?

I'll hit up my wrecker mate and see if he has a set of carbs. Be easiest.

You'll still need to alter your airbox to suit the different offset.

Bike
    2001 RF400RV
    What year? Errr pass, I bought it as a motor. If I remember right it has MC08E stamped on it. 84-85?

Altering the airbox doesn't concern me much, I'm pretty open to doing that or just taking some alloy pipes to a washable filter you oil. What does annoy me is honda syndrome, they change stupid things like this regularly on almost all the ones I've worked on.

For reference I managed to find the perfect picture after lots of looking, the carbs look like this. Note the flat side to make them fit right, closer and slightly overlapping more I'd say.

This is what I have

Found someone who will sell me a set on tardme for a hundy. It's a hundy I'd of rather kept but if it gets me on the road again I really don't care. Reminds me once again never to assume anything is the same. I'll know by the end of today I think if I can get that other set, if not and your mate has some then whichever; just trying to sort it out quickly is all. Cheers for the offer

Bike
    2001 RF400RV
    Paying $100 for this set I found, that's with the airbox and socks etc Basically the entire intake system with lines, fittings etc.

Feel a little violated but all the same I hate hate hate missing out when it's the exact thing I need then I spend twice as much in petrol running around after the cheaper option.

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    I fucking hate paying for things
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Alloy, stainless and Ti polishing.
    Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Quote Originally Posted by 328FTW View Post
    Paying $100 for this set I found, that's with the airbox and socks etc Basically the entire intake system with lines, fittings etc.

Feel a little violated but all the same I hate hate hate missing out when it's the exact thing I need then I spend twice as much in petrol running around after the cheaper option.
    That's a good deal man.

I did ask my mate if he had some, but he wanted exact year and model. I forgot to come back and ask you sorry.

Bike
    Honda VF750f.
    Quote Originally Posted by ducatilover View Post
    I fucking hate paying for things
    Me too, but it got me in a lot of trouble when younger.

Bike
    2001 RF400RV
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    That's a good deal man.

I did ask my mate if he had some, but he wanted exact year and model. I forgot to come back and ask you sorry.
    Picked them up today, right ones and everything so probably no longer required. For future reference the MC08E and MC15 use sorta the same carbs but they are different in their offsets and throttle cable positions, Kei Hin VD carbs but that flat side and airbox is different. I'm hoping the new airbox fits in my frame but if not I'll break out the tig and fab some new alloy box for the panel filter, or at least some nice pipes for an oiled cone filter or whatever.

As for paying for shit, tell me about it. Got stopped at a checkpoint today. Singled me out and wasted a shitload of my time before deciding he didn't like my learner plate and issuing a ticket basically stating it's insufficiently displayed so it's a failure to display ticket. I was about ready to jump up and down on the hood of his car. As if breaking the chain, throwing a leg out of bed on the honda at speed and being dicked around for like 20 minutes on the roadside while you halfass look up your computer isn't enough to put someone off you find everything is perfectly fine, in the right gear and being respectful then just decide to take it further with stupid bullshit reasoning. Will certainly help curb my behavior back to just taking off from those tax checkpoints. Knew I was in for it as soon as he pulled me out of the line and waved everyone else though, he was set on finding something and spent an age doing it. I've had enough of their stupid bullshit after owning the SS commodore for year, I got pulled over within 3 hours of owning the damn thing with them laying under it with torches trying to find god knows what. If they could find where all the fuel I put in it was going I'd of given them a medal.

Bike
    Honda vfr 750 fn 1992 x2 90red
    Blog Entries

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by 328FTW View Post
    I did, didn't seem to make much of a difference but then again I'm still unsure half the time if the cylinder is even getting fuel. It won't hold an idle so I have to crank it open a bit to keep it running so it's not pulling a full vacuum which makes that test of somewhat small worth. If I can get it to pull a good vacuum then it would be more helpful.

Basically it's running like a true sack of shit XD
    Yes my cbr 900 rr didnt idle either without opening throlltle just die i done the same clean of

carbs and compressor gezz feeling like i put back on problem still be there.

I suggest fuel tap but if one carb working seems strange other whouldint being vacum

I got like 2 sets of vt 250 carbs and going be years before get around to geting crank fixed.

also rubber boots for crabs. when say goes flat at 6000 rpm is that on contant throttle

Or is on the main jets , whould float level be out or float valve not sealing . am no mechanic.

I just got step by step rule things out . head gasket on front cylinder ?

Bike
    2001 RF400RV
    It goes flat on constant throttle, if you let off it'll idle like a dream but crank it up and it'll die again. To me it seems like jets are playing up or the diaphram for the main needle isn't playing ball.
    /

/My keyboard is also fucked and leaves a / when you press enter. Anyway over it, I won't have time to work on it till the weekend then maybe I'll get something done. If not it'll be next week before I can even think about the fucking thing. If I can get it running nicely enough and stop it being possessed I'm probably just selling it and moving on. I don't have time for games. It's done a bearing, thrown a rod and destroyed 2 sets of cams; shit one snapped in half for some reason I can't begin to fathom. This is motor number 3 and it's just being a prick. The new motor pulls hard when it runs right which is a good 5% of the time. I've set everything right, about the only thing I haven't tried setting is setting it on fire. I get everything running really nice then it either fails mechanically in a horrible way or the carbs go back to being fussy as hell.
    /
    /I talked to a bike mechanic I'm friendly with, basically told me pricks of things, never liked them and you're on your own. That about does it for me really, I have other more important things to be doing than stressing over this.

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Latest issues sound like blocked pilot jets to me.

Possibly float levels, or blocked float needles.

You must be a legend at putting them in and taking them out by now, so get them out and give them another clean. Always blow carb cleaner or whatever you're using out with compressed air. Wear goggles 'cause the shit stings when it gets in your eye.

Bike
    Honda vfr 750 fn 1992 x2 90red
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by spanner spinner View Post
    Balance your carbs, V twins are very picky about carb balance to the point that they will drop a cylinder. As this looks like the only carb issue that you haven't checked out or cleaned it is worth doing. also have you checked the compression on the cylinder that's not running, a low compression cylinder will not draw fuel out of the carb. balancing carbs on a v twin is easy to do as there is only one adjustment screw, either borrow a set of vacuum gages or book it in as should be a quick and cheep job for a shop to do.
    yes 100 % i know its money we dont have but least you have more confidence if know

Carbs are balanced and compression checked othere wise it be naging doubt that lead to more frustraion. and that just make things worse.

Cam is on its way i go out to garage after dishs done and take few photos my vt 250

Project after done laughing u fell alot better , thats if can get past all the bikes and parts

Thread Information