Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who is lucky enough to ride or share bike chats with their dad or mum?

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    The auld fella just traded in his GS 650 thingy against a KTM 390 Duke, to go shopping on he reckons. The new Duke & his CRM 250 are trailering down to southern Spain in a couple of months for a long summer of mountain roads & mountain trails. And Rioja.
    70 next year & still getting better.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    '09 Bandit 1250s
    My dad now owns my motard. He's going through his license now. So for 2 years I'm beating him haha.

Bike
    Suzuki DRZ 400
    me old man builds and restores Nortons, Triumphs, that kinda thing. We lose count of how many bikes in the garage. I'm living his dream riding where I have. He works in China, lives in UK so hope he will come over on a riding holiday in the summer time :-)

Bike
    Suzuki DRZ 400
    and I gave my mum a refresher lesson on a Yammie RX135 in Nepal a few months ago, and she wants to go on and pass her test and buy a bonnie. Woo.

Bike
    mutton dressed up as lamb and a 73 XL250
    About the only thing myself and the old man could talk about was bikes,red rag to a bull on anything else,last i heard he was still riding at 73,1250 Bandit last i heard.Pic from long ago....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ford%208x12%20%20(Large) (Medium) (Medium).jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	65.0 KB 
ID:	285860  
    Be the person your dog thinks you are...

Bike
    1999 Honda Hornet CB600FX
    My Mom got her bike license about 40 years ago. She did it, because she was afraid of riding and wanted to beat her fear... She didn't have her own bike though and then never got onto another bike again after getting her license. She took it really well when I told her I got a bike and started telling me funny stories about her learning time.

My Dad was always very mechanically minded. He loved to work on the car and once he and my uncle 'upgraded' a little boat with a car engine I always wonder what he would have thought about me riding motorcycles...
    ---------------------------
    Disclaimer: Any lapses in spelling, tact, or fact are transmission errors.
    ---------------------------

Bike
    half litre street beater
    My Dad had plenty bikes when he was younger. Gave up riding when marriage and kids came along. He has recently picked up a Honda CT110 though and is getting back in the saddle after many moons.

We have lots of bike chats - Dad isn't very interested in modern bikes and I love classics and weird oddball shit so we talk about old Brit bikes, European machines and old 60s and 70s Japanese bikes that he was familiar with in the day. Lots of fun and I have learnt a lot from him and heard some very funny and interesting stories.

I've been thinking lately that I would like to find a basket-case BSA Bantam that we could buy and do up together, as the lil Beezer was his first bike.

I'm also very lucky that Dad is an extremely handy fellow who is an expert in aviation, heavy engineering and electrics - first port of call for troubleshooting!
    You want some advice - lightning strikes once, it does not strike twice!

Bike
    2014 BMW G650GS
    The question also runs in reverse ... age wise.

I am 72 and often talk with my 50 year son about the bikes we have both owned and our current activities. Unfortunately he lives in Mallorca in Spain and riding with him is a little more difficult now.
    I feel I am lucky we have a common interest and that he still wants to talk about it .... isn't Skype wonderful!!

Bike
    M109R, GS1200ss, RMX450Z, ZX-12R
    Be thankful you can still have these chats and share the experiences and make the most of them while they last
    I lost my father 22yrs ago but thanks to him he got me into bikes, taught me to ride and had me around bikes from before I can remember, the whole family was involved with bikes and even today I still manage to get my aunt on the back of the 11 for the odd wee blat & shes 78 cheeky old bugger threatens that if she could manage the weight of the bike she'd be off & gone not bad for an old tart that's 5ft nothing

Bike
    BMW R1200RT
    I used to ride when I was younger, old bikes, back in those days. I gave them up when I had a young family. Many years later, and totally out of the blue, my 18 year old told me he was going to buy a bike he had found and would I come and have a look at it with him. it turned out to be a shitter and he went on to buy a new GN125. He let me take him for a ride on it around town when he first got it and then wouldn't let me ride it again. Yep. Some months later I bought a bike again. I have had many bikes since then and still have two in the garage. I call them my stress management tools.
    Ride it until the wheels fall off...

Bike
    The Black Pearl
    Blog Entries
    Mum & Dad stopped in last night. Whenever we have a few beers and start talking bikes, it inevitably gets to stories from his after school job working for Dean Hollier in his bike & motorbike shop in the late 50's.
    Keep on chooglin'

Bike
    Honda vfr 750 fn 1992 x2 90red
    Blog Entries

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by kathy-rose View Post
    My dad has made my day...he bought his first bike,(in my lifetime)off a 60 year old in Christchurch today, he is about to turn 70 himself...never speaks on the phone because he is hard of hearing, and a man of few words. Until his eldest daughter me decided to learn to ride...now I get random phone calls about bikes all hours of the night...he is driving my mum crazy and all we get is "for fk sake, you two"...he bought himself a 1999 dragstar 1100, with all the gears. Mum wanted me to buy a bike from the southisland and get dad to ride it up north...so he would grow out of it.
    how special it is to still have parents who love life....whats your story.
    My dad rode bikes in his 20,s then drove taxis i used drive him crazy talking about bikes, blah blah know my nephew does it to me.

Talk about full circle my mum loves to drive her car has big bore exhust . she dispointed doesint sound good as used too.

My son is 3 years and he loves bikes too so might be gen 3 Motorcylist

My mum is very sick so love you folks while still with you.

Bike
    Honda vfr 750 fn 1992 x2 90red
    Blog Entries

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by T.W.R View Post
    Be thankful you can still have these chats and share the experiences and make the most of them while they last
    I lost my father 22yrs ago but thanks to him he got me into bikes, taught me to ride and had me around bikes from before I can remember, the whole family was involved with bikes and even today I still manage to get my aunt on the back of the 11 for the odd wee blat & shes 78 cheeky old bugger threatens that if she could manage the weight of the bike she'd be off & gone not bad for an old tart that's 5ft nothing
    Totally dude my mum took me to work back in 80,s chouldint blelive the
    Way she drove little mini car manuall i was in owe still am to this day.

Live and love appriecate your family only have so long with them.

Bike
    2017 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory
    Mum had a quick fling with a Turkish law student in swinging London in '66. She ran home to Liverpool and nine months later I arrived. Never knew my old man, he never knew I existed. Don't know his name or ever saw pictures. Mum died last Xmas day of breast cancer.

Enjoy the time you have with your folks - it's priceless.

Bike
    2009 yamaha virago star
    [QUOTE=Hobbyhorse;1130596042]The question also runs in reverse ... age wise.

I am 72 and often talk with my 50 year son about the bikes we have both owned and our current activities. Unfortunately he lives in Mallorca in Spain and riding with him is a little more difficult now.
    I feel I am lucky we have a common interest and that he still wants to talk about it .... isn't Skype wonderful!!

yep Skype is great...dad and I had a session where he showed me his bike boots he scored of trademe for $5.00 and his new leather jacket...poor mum just moved over and rolled her eyeballs.

Thread Information