Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Who is lucky enough to ride or share bike chats with their dad or mum?

Bike
    2009 yamaha virago star

Who is lucky enough to ride or share bike chats with their dad or mum?

My dad has made my day...he bought his first bike,(in my lifetime)off a 60 year old in Christchurch today, he is about to turn 70 himself...never speaks on the phone because he is hard of hearing, and a man of few words. Until his eldest daughter me decided to learn to ride...now I get random phone calls about bikes all hours of the night...he is driving my mum crazy and all we get is "for fk sake, you two"...he bought himself a 1999 dragstar 1100, with all the gears. Mum wanted me to buy a bike from the southisland and get dad to ride it up north...so he would grow out of it.
    how special it is to still have parents who love life....whats your story.

Bike
    Honda VF750f.
    My dad had a triumph with a sidecar back in the uk, and most of my uncles had bikes. They were all rockers. Dad got me an old bike when I was about 7 and we fixed it up enough for me to hoon around on. The last time he tried to ride a bike was on one of mine and he wheelied it into a tree and broke his leg, he,s never ridden since. He still likes looking over my bikes when he is here though. Mum hates them, and always has.
    For a man is a slave to whatever has mastered him. Keep an open mind, just dont let your brains fall out.

Bike
    zx636r, ktm690sm, rmz450 tard, rmz250
    I snuck out when I was about 18yrs and bought the 1st of many bikes without my father's approval. Ive been riding for the past 10yrs and I still get the worried phone call just to make sure his little girl's looking after herself...
    I rocked up to his work on a motard earlier this year, Dad grabs the keys off me and starts her up taking off with an impressive skid, does a standstill 180 in the shingle before giving it some gas and finishing up with a mean stoppie! WTF!! He's the man!

Got me wondering if this whole time he was just jealous his missus doesn't let him own a bike Lmao!

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Walk away from the computer Kathy....
    My Pater is still a bike nut. Moved to Spain a wee while ago with his CRM 250 & bought a new GS 6fiddy last year so he can get dirty with his girlfriend. He has owned a TDM 900, ST 1300, Ducati Multistrada & an Aprilia Tuono in the last 10 years, I may have forgotten one or two. His Stan Stevens tuned DT 175 & Honda 110 step thru have their own cupboards in the garage, reward for sterling service. He turns 70 next year. Last time we rode together, around Europe about 6 years ago, he still had the attitude if not the reactions of a spotty wee oik & is still convinced that the bit between double yellow lines is a designated bike lane. Bless his cotton socks, he stuck me on a trials bike when I was 6 & took me to my first MX race when I was 6 months.
    Yeah, skype is pure bike chat, well, anything mad with an engine really.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    '09 Bandit 1250s
    As a child my dad had s triumph daytona 1200. But that was my only interaction with motorbikes til I was 12 and dad started swinging on a sidecar at speedway. I got a junior bike and until last year rode every season since. Dad stopped riding road bikes but just bought a sidecar. Now I'm about to get my full license, dad wants to get his license again. So he's buying my big boy bike as a trade for my klx for him to sit his licenses.

Bike
    2009 yamaha virago star

move away from the computer????

Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    Walk away from the computer Kathy....

My Pater is still a bike nut. Moved to Spain a wee while ago with his CRM 250 & bought a new GS 6fiddy last year so he can get dirty with his girlfriend. He has owned a TDM 900, ST 1300, Ducati Multistrada & an Aprilia Tuono in the last 10 years, I may have forgotten one or two. His Stan Stevens tuned DT 175 & Honda 110 step thru have their own cupboards in the garage, reward for sterling service. He turns 70 next year. Last time we rode together, around Europe about 6 years ago, he still had the attitude if not the reactions of a spotty wee oik & is still convinced that the bit between double yellow lines is a designated bike lane. Bless his cotton socks, he stuck me on a trials bike when I was 6 & took me to my first MX race when I was 6 months.
    Yeah, skype is pure bike chat, well, anything mad with an engine really.
    not sure what you meant by move away from the computer....but you could be right each time I get online ive bought something else for the adventure im on..

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by kathy-rose View Post
    not sure what you meant by move away from the computer....but you could be right each time I get online ive bought something else for the adventure im on..
    Forum thread rash. Guilty of it myself when I first discovered KB. No offense intended, I keep my tongue in my cheek on the interwebs. Your not alone on your adventure, quite a bit of thrilling, butt puckering & exhilaration in this household at the mo.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    2009 yamaha virago star

Talking quitly

Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    Forum thread rash. Guilty of it myself when I first discovered KB. No offense intended, I keep my tongue in my cheek on the interwebs. Your not alone on your adventure, quite a bit of thrilling, butt puckering & exhilaration in this household at the mo.
    no offense taken...just love to talk to b.....y much and as I live in the middle of nowhere its a good out let lol...

Bike
    Its a Boat

A Different take on the Subject

My Parents (Mum in particular) did not take the news well when I told them I had bought a motorbike. I got the caring parent lecture...''death trap'' etc.
    But it's what I wanted and that wasn't going to change..
    Fast forward a few months, I get a phone call from Mum to say that my sister had been shopping with her friend and had arranged to have tea with her and her hubby that evening. Friends husband rang 30 mins after Karen had dropped her friend at home saying that ''she had dropped dead at the top of the stairs''.

Mum really rang to say ''enjoy your motorbike, you just never know when your time is up''
    They are always pleased when I buy a new bike now, I tend to exchange every two years or so. I even sent them a photo of my latest bike.

Life is good.

Bike
    Aprillia RSV1000R 92 KX500
    Blog Entries
    Not quite a bike story but close...
    Back in the day I had a 3 wheeler Honda ATV, an ATC200X (one with a XR200 motor). I took dad up the pylon access roads at the end of the road, gave him a spin in a clearing around a pylon. Within 2 minutes he had it in full opposite lock sideways power slides, within 5 minutes it was jumps as well
    He was a man full of surprises, I only found out he had raced cars in his 20's when I found an old box of car mags and read an article about him smashing a hill climb record (stood for 11 years!).

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by kathy-rose View Post
    no offense taken...just love to talk to b.....y much and as I live in the middle of nowhere its a good out let lol...
    We all live in NZ, last stop before the edge of the world. Ain't it great?

Yarp Maha, life is really good. Spent my day spanking the wee DT on one of the best roads ever laid with probably some of the best views in the North Island. No, you haven't ridden it....

Trying really hard to get the Pater out here for some two wheeled hi jinx before it's too late. Strange time in life now, the urge to do more is getting stronger but time is moving faster. My parents are not old in my memories but they are getting there in life.
    All those things that you want to do & say.... Now is good.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    2009 yamaha virago star

yes life is far to short....

Quote Originally Posted by Maha View Post
    My Parents (Mum in particular) did not take the news well when I told them I had bought a motorbike. I got the caring parent lecture...''death trap'' etc.
    But it's what I wanted and that wasn't going to change..
    Fast forward a few months, I get a phone call from Mum to say that my sister had been shopping with her friend and had arranged to have tea with her and her hubby that evening. Friends husband rang 30 mins after Karen had dropped her friend at home saying that ''she had dropped dead at the top of the stairs''.

Mum really rang to say ''enjoy your motorbike, you just never know when your time is up''
    They are always pleased when I buy a new bike now, I tend to exchange every two years or so. I even sent them a photo of my latest bike.

Life is good.
    I know how you feel...live love and dance like no-one is watching

Bike
    a red heap
    Talking to your parents, Id rather poke sticks in my eyes.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    My Dad is 80 and wants an Aerial square 4. He tells me off and tells me to be careful. Then tells me about landing in a ditch after racing some guy in a Jag back in England on his Triumph.

One of my goals with riding was to get my full and take him for a ride. Unfortunately old age wouldnt allow it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    The Black Pearl
    Blog Entries
    Dad had a lot of bikes in his young single days, and had smaller bikes after marriage and kids. I think one of the reasons was to teach me to ride on them as he seldom had time to ride much himself. After I got my license he sold his bike and I got one.

30 years later I keep offering for him to take mine for a ride and he doesn't want to.
    Keep on chooglin'

Thread Information