Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cheapo hardtail struts

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Quote Originally Posted by re_animate View Post
    Another question, where would be a good place to get a solo seat? I haven't had any luck finding them anywhere
    The coolest ones, are hand made. In this area, I'd make my own and have it covered.

Uber cool is an old style tractor seat, but prolly a bit bulky on the GN.

Bike
    77' CB750 Cafe Racer, 2009 Z750
    Don't sweat it - no one is born with experience gotta start somewhere.
    I love the smell of twin V16's in the morning..

Bike
    xr1200hd,99 dyna + choppers
    Shit I think I have some of those biltwell struts in the garage somewhere.

Bike
    Triumph Saint,Triumph Adventurer
    Remove the springs from the standard shocks then fully compress the shock and weld the top to the shock body.

I did it with a pair of CB550 shocks I used for a slightly different application years ago.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    I usually apply the theory if I have nothing nice to say, then shut-up.

But in this case I figure that if you are even considering copper pipe, then you are not capable to be altering anything on the bike little-lone oiling the chain. FFS $110 is very reasonable. If you do not have the foresight to realise this now then go back to your PlayStation.

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Yeah, fair enough. I think I might just buy the struts rather than waste time looking for cheaper options.

By the way, I'm new to the whole modifying motorbikes thing. I've got no one teaching me but youtube. I figured copper plumbing pipe was a stretch, just looking for alternatives to a part that seemed a bit more expensive than it's worth. So didn't mean to sound incompetant, I'm just inexperienced with motorbike frames. - I've worked on engines before, just wanted advise on saving some cash from people who had experience.

So no, I will not step away from the bike haha.

Another question, where would be a good place to get a solo seat? I haven't had any luck finding them anywhere
    There's only so much you can learn form youtube; I think you really need some more hands on experience or work with someone who has it, before getting stuck in on a project which is so critical to your road safety.
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    None yet
    Why all the flaming? I'm trying to find a cheaper temporary alternative to a relatively expensive part, and if that fails I'll go for the actual part. That's a pretty logical thing to do, damn.

I'm curious, what about bicycle framing? - I think it's aluminum. That's pretty easy to obtain.

Bike
    Dont have one now
    Why all the flaming? I'm trying to find a cheaper temporary alternative to a relatively expensive part, and if that fails I'll go for the actual part. That's a pretty logical thing to do, damn.

I'm curious, what about bicycle framing? - I think it's aluminum. That's pretty easy to obtain.
    Nobody is flaming you but the suggestions you are making clearly indicate that you're engineering ability is very limited, I have only seen constructive criticism that may save your life or the life of someone else on the road. What you have suggested indicates you don't have the required skills to safely modify the bike.

Bike
    2004 SV1K

Just go and buy some steel mate and any other minor stuff needed pop into an engineering firm on their lunch break, look for the fella out the front having a fag and offer him some cash to weld or cut or drill what needs done,
    Or buy the pre-fabbed part.

If you reallyyyyyy want to do it yourself you could try some box section, its cheap enough and would be strong but before considering that option do some research into it, im not 100% sure it would be enough someone on here might have a better idea.

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDGT
    FFS step away from the toolsMate you are a worry, try and find some with some skills that can give you some hands on help otherwise you
    are going to be disappointed, out of pocket and maybe injured.
    Political Correctness, the chief weapon of whiney arse bastards

Bike
    None yet
    Lol yeah, I'll admit I have no idea how much load will be on the spring strut, or the load bearing capabilities of steel vs copper pipe or aluminum. Fair enough, I guess I am being a little too cheap, probably not worth the probable danger.

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    given your admission around your limited experience, try mucking around with some smaller, less important bits and pieces before fucking with a frame in a manner that could kill you or someone else if you get it wrong.

Bike
    None yet
    Will cost me round 60 for the steel alone. I've bought the actual struts so that's not going to be an issue any more.
    Anyone got any good resources on making a solo seat? - What's the actual name for them?

Bike
    2004 SV1K
    Will cost me round 60 for the steel alone. I've bought the actual struts so that's not going to be an issue any more.
    Anyone got any good resources on making a solo seat? - What's the actual name for them?
    What style of seat are you going for mate?

Bike
    KTM 950SM, '78 X7, FZ750, GN250
    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkenMistake View Post
    What style of seat are you going for mate?
    One with a dildo attached because he's a noob on a GN.

Thread Information