Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2k idle?

Bike
    the mighty fzr and gsxr
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    So it's not firing on one cylinder at idle. Those motors are fuckin noisey when they're not running smooth, partly because they run a bloody great gear driven alternator instead of a stator/regulator rectifier.

It's all a bit hard without seeing it, I'd be looking to see if that little spring didn't come from where I think it does, then I'd be looking long and hard at the cracked diaphragm cover. Any air getting above that, completely fucks the way a CV carb works. If it hasn't got more pressure in the surrounding atmosphere than above the diaphragm rubber, it won't lift the slide.
    The spring is quite heave strengthwise as I cant compress it with my fingers but will look at the carbs and see if I can figure out where you mean.

Im pretty sure the diaphragm is sealed but will look at that too again but that wound only affect the bike when on a lot of throttle and the slides need to lift wouldn't it?.
    winding up stucky since ages ago

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi cowboy View Post
    The spring is quite heave strengthwise as I cant compress it with my fingers but will look at the carbs and see if I can figure out where you mean.

Im pretty sure the diaphragm is sealed but will look at that too again but that wound only affect the bike when on a lot of throttle and the slides need to lift wouldn't it?.
    Combination of both issues explains everything.

Part number 31 in the diagram. Or that area at least is the spring I'm talking about.

http://images.cmsnl.com/img/partslis...38b-8_b427.jpg

They are a very stiff little spring, since they are not meant to be compressed by anything other than the balance adjuster screws. Especially not by throttling on or off.

Bike
    the mighty fzr and gsxr

Part number 31 in the diagram. Or that area at least is the spring I'm talking about.

They are a very stiff little spring, since they are not meant to be compressed by anything other than the balance adjuster screws. Especially not by throttling on or off.
    OK out to the shed with me now where's me hat cos its ferkn frosty tonight keep ya posted

Bike
    the mighty fzr and gsxr

Hey drew,
    Well its def not the spring off the throttle set screw and is heavier than those so no further ahead there as to where it came from lol.

Will the starter fluid work spraying around the diaphragm cap I wonder?.

The good news is the bolts I got made up to balance the carbs on my other bike fit the ports on this and have got tube coming for a balancer so will be a longer process but can do 1-2 then 3-4 then 2-3 with it so will wait till get that done to see if that's the problem

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi cowboy View Post
    Hey drew,
    Well its def not the spring off the throttle set screw and is heavier than those so no further ahead there as to where it came from lol.

Will the starter fluid work spraying around the diaphragm cap I wonder?.

The good news is the bolts I got made up to balance the carbs on my other bike fit the ports on this and have got tube coming for a balancer so will be a longer process but can do 1-2 then 3-4 then 2-3 with it so will wait till get that done to see if that's the problem
    Damn, that would have baan an easy-ish fix.

Starter fluid should work to spray around the diaphragm I would think. If it's sucking air from there instead of creating a vacuum in the cavaty.

On another tac, have you pulled the choke (richener) bit's out of the carbs? They are just a brass piston with a rubber seal on the end to cover an air gallery. If they aren't seating the choke will be on all the time.

Bike
    Honda VF750f.
    If the choke is a bystarter system, then you may have crap in the slow jet system?
    For a man is a slave to whatever has mastered him. Keep an open mind, just dont let your brains fall out.

Bike
    the mighty fzr and gsxr
    Damn, that would have baan an easy-ish fix.

Starter fluid should work to spray around the diaphragm I would think. If it's sucking air from there instead of creating a vacuum in the cavaty.

On another tac, have you pulled the choke (richener) bit's out of the carbs? They are just a brass piston with a rubber seal on the end to cover an air gallery. If they aren't seating the choke will be on all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by unstuck View Post
    If the choke is a bystarter system, then you may have crap in the slow jet system?
    Thanks guys,

I have ordered some hose for the balancer and think I will bite the bullet and take the carbs off and go the full strip down, soak in white vinegar and blow out thing so will post up if that fixes it on a few days.

Bike
    Honda VF750f.
    Just be careful with ether around your diaphrams cos it eats some plastics and rubbers.
    For a man is a slave to whatever has mastered him. Keep an open mind, just dont let your brains fall out.

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Just be careful with ether around your diaphrams cos it eats some plastics and rubbers.
    Doubt the diaphragm rubbers would be soluble to very many chemicals at all. Overflow hoses and shit are all the hearty stuff too.

Carbs come out of the FZRs pretty easily. Just remember to take the choke cable out of the lever, it's easier than getting it off the carbs in situ if I remember correctly.

Bike
    Honda VF750f.
    As long as they are not made from polypropolene rubber compounds, cos ether will chew that shit right up.

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    As long as they are not made from polypropolene rubber compounds, cos ether will chew that shit right up.
    Can't see it in a fuel system on anything, that isn't Chinese or American really.

Bike
    Honda VF750f.
    I have no idea what his diaphrams are made out of, or where they have been made, but have seen ether chew shit up on car fuel systems before. And it fucked a rubber air in take on an old fiat allis loader I had years ago. Was just a little something I thought I would add, just in case. I have been wrong once before.

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    I have been wrong once before.
    I thought I was wrong once...But turned out I was mistaken.

Fair call though.

Bike
    Honda VF750f.
    Damn, I thought you may at least post something like this to PROVE me wrong....http://www.coleparmer.com/Chemical-Resistance

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Damn, I thought you may at least post something like this to PROVE me wrong....http://www.coleparmer.com/Chemical-Resistance
    Wow, what a brilliant website!

Thread Information