Page 326 of 363 FirstFirst ... 226276316324325326327328336 ... LastLast
Results 4,876 to 4,890 of 5433

Thread: Thinking of getting vaccinated?

Bike
    So old you won't care
    According to the best evidence we have, measles makes its appearance somewhere between the 11th and 12th Centuries when the measles virus diverged (separated) from the rinderpest virus (a sort of measles of cattle that has been eradicated through vaccination). This probably happened when cattle herders spent just a little too much time with their cattle somewhere in the Middle East.

Before we go any further, you need to understand that measles is highly infectious. It’s, like, really infectious. One person can infect up to 18 other people, and the virus floats in the air for up to two (maybe four) hours where an infectious person has been. What’s worse, a person is infectious 3 to 5 days before the onset of the typical measles rash, and 1 to 2 days before the onset of fever. This means that a perfectly healthy-looking person can go around spreading measles and not even know they’re sick.

Because of this, measles likely spread as people with the disease came into contact with population centers, and then as trade occurred between those population centers. Soon enough, measles was found worldwide, with some of the first accounts of it in the Americas in the 1600s. That said, the descriptions of some of the plagues brought to the Americas by Columbus and subsequent invasions do resemble measles. It’s hard to pinpoint when the exact introduction of measles to the Americas was since the invaders and explorers brought smallpox, syphilis and other plagues with them.

As worldwide travel became more accessible to more and more people, measles spread far and wide and established itself in communities where there was a cohort of children large enough born each year for it to continue to spread. It wasn’t just the children that suffered, however. Measles in adults has always had more serious consequences. During the Civil War, about 20,000 cases were reported in Union Soldiers, with about 500 deaths.

By the time the 1900s rolled around, this translated into hundred of thousands of cases worldwide, with thousands of deaths.

It was only when better medical treatment became more available in the mid-1900s in the United States that deaths in American children began to decline.

Measles cases, however, did not decline until the arrival of a vaccine in 1963. From then on, cases and deaths declined to very low levels in the United States and everywhere the vaccine was licensed and administered. However, outbreaks would still occur, concentrated mostly in the unimmunized.

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    It was only when better medical treatment became more available in the mid-1900s in the United States that deaths in American children began to decline.
    They didn't just decline Paul - they plummeted.

Bike
    09 GSX1400.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    Except it wasn't viewed as an incredibly serious infection back 50-60 years ago.

In fact they used to hold measles parties to spread the infection around.

Then a vaccine was invented and an industry discovered there was huge amounts of money to be made.
    yes Katman, I had measles around school age ,like everyone I guess.

Then having kids forty years ago , you'd get a phone call ,little johnny's got measles or chicken pox ,bring your lot round !!!!!! lol.

You'd never go hungry with Nigella Gaz.
    If it weren't for flashbacks...I'd have no memory at all..

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Quote Originally Posted by roogazza View Post
    yes Katman, I had measles around school age ,like everyone I guess.

Then having kids forty years ago , you'd get a phone call ,little johnny's got measles or chicken pox ,bring your lot round !!!!!! lol.
    Isn't it odd how much people's attitude to measles has changed in the last 50-60 years?

Sounds like a rather effective case of brain washing marketing to me.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Isn't it odd how much people's attitude to measles has changed in the last 50-60 years?

Population control. Private NGOs shipping unvaccinated "immigrants" to more prosperous countries doesn't help. Italys has finally told them to fuck off and go to Spain.

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonez View Post
    Population control. Private NGOs shipping unvaccinated "immigrants" to more prosperous countries doesn't help.
    If the plan is to cull a certain percentage of the world's population, there's a few names I'd like to put forward.

Bike
    '21 Aprilia Tuono
    Except it wasn't viewed as an incredibly serious infection back 50-60 years ago.

In fact they used to hold measles parties to spread the infection around.

Then a vaccine was invented and an industry discovered there was huge amounts of money to be made.

Given the huge medical burden of ICU stays following infection, there is probably more money to be made by leaving them unvaccinated

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruahine View Post
    Given the huge medical burden of ICU stays following infection, there is probably more money to be made by leaving them unvaccinated
    That's a cute concept but I'd suggest it's well outside the realms of reality.

(And the true cost of ICU doesn't need to be anything like it is. It's all down to certain people putting money ahead of well-being).

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    If the plan is to cull a certain percentage of the world's population, there's a few names I'd like to put forward.
    I think I've met a few here recently...

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonez View Post
    I think I've met a few here recently...
    Actually, I lied when I said 'a few'.

The list is really quite long.

Bike
    '21 Aprilia Tuono
    That's a cute concept but I'd suggest it's well outside the realms of reality.
    Not really. I doubt Pharmac would fund the MMR vaccine if it wasn't cost-effective in the prevention of morbidity and mortality.

Bike
    So old you won't care
    Have you bothered to check out the graph that shows the dramatic decrease in deaths from measles over a 30-40 year period prior to the vaccine even being invented?
    sigh - covered that and its due to improved access to modern medical care something which is not accessable in rural Samoa given the mistrust after the botch up assembling the vacines

Virtually all mortalities from infectious diseases drop once antibiotics and clean medical facilities appear

Bike
    So old you won't care

not really - it was pretty lethal for a while

Bike
    So old you won't care
    They didn't just decline Paul - they plummeted.
    I think you forget the advances in medical science during WW1. No antibiotics a small wound would kill you at the start of the war... Look at me - Insulin 1921. Before that I would have been dead decades ago.. Diabetics are prone to sepsis - 2x for me - no antibiotics I'd be fucked and it acts super fast. Measels isnt the killer its the tag alongs that get you like pnumonia. (I cant spell I know) Even now more people die of Pnumonia per year than road deaths despite the antibiotics... (my wife had it and nearly did die for what its worth and we seriously think it was a trigger for her FTD)

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    I think you forget the advances in medical science during WW1.
    I'm not forgetting anything of the sort Paul.

In fact, it's kind of been my point all along.

Measles is no longer a disease that warrants the level of hysteria that it currently commands.

That hysteria has been created as a every effective marketing tool.

Thread Information