Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bandit 1200 - Just a few mods

Bike
    NC30s

Bandit 1200 - Just a few mods

Here's my '99 Suzuki GSF1200 that I've modified a bit.

Mods:
    Stage one carb jet upgrades (102.5 -> 127.5 mains and 37.5 -> 35 pilots)
    Modified airbox
    '08 GSXR1000 Rear shock (stock one is rubbish).
    Modified instrument cluster position (lowered it down onto the headlamp to tidy up the front now that the stock handlebars are gone).
    Replaced stock handlebars with clip-ons
    Replaced stock indicators with small clear LED ones (stock ones are huge!)

Wired in a garage door opener to the pass switch. It's such a hassle getting the opener out of your pocket with gloves on!

Next up is braided brake lines and a new exhaust with carbs re-tuned to suit.

I also used matte black plasti-dip to cover up the tacky chrome parts. I hate chrome.

The ventura pack rack bars on the back kind of break up the lines of the bike I think, but it's so damn handy when a bike is your primary form of transportation that I can't bring myself to take it off!

Bike
    mutton dressed up as lamb and a 73 XL250
    Looking good fella,great to see someone else mucking about with older Suzuki stuff,hear you on the chrome thing am not a fan myself.What exhaust are you looking at next?
    Be the person your dog thinks you are...

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Nice, I miss my 2001 1200. Have you done the timing advancer? Plugged the pair valves?

Somewhere I have the holeshot jet kit instructions if you dont have them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Bars are cool man. Old school!

Any pipe on those turns it into a different bike, with no other mods at all aye. Suzuki advertised them new as having something like 10 ponies waiting to be unleashed by just changing the end can.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Make sure you get the jetting right when you pipe it. They come stupidly lean from the factory.

I may still have a stock advancer if you want to play with modding one.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post

Any pipe on those turns it into a different bike, with no other mods at all aye. Suzuki advertised them new as having something like 10 ponies waiting to be unleashed by just changing the end can.
    10,any chance Suzuki have a vested interest in the suppliers of end cans

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    Nice, I miss my 2001 1200. Have you done the timing advancer? Plugged the pair valves?

Actually my bad, that motor is pre-pair valves.

Bike
    The Black Pearl
    Blog Entries
    I reckon paint matching the pack rack would sort out a lot of that line disruption you mention.

Sweet bike!
    Keep on chooglin'

Bike
    NC30s
    Quote Originally Posted by 98tls View Post
    Looking good fella,great to see someone else mucking about with older Suzuki stuff,hear you on the chrome thing am not a fan myself.What exhaust are you looking at next?
    Yeah chrome is terrible! The airbox covers on the side there stick out like dogs balls when they're bright and shiny.
    I am probably going to go with something cheap for the exhaust. The Yoshi RS-3 is apparently pretty good, but I've been having a look at the Dan-moto stuff. Apparently people have had pretty good results with one of them and I can get a titanium can landed for under $200 from hong kong!! So cheap.

No pair valves on this one (too old). Probably won't bother with the timing advancer just yet. I am having some issues with the emulsion tubes, I think they're slightly ovalled and it's giving me a 'rich' condition at lower RPM, so I need to sort that first. Will probably just pop in some new emulsion tubes (factory pro do some nickel plated ones) and try and find some jet needles (Suzuki NZ charge an arm and a leg for them!)

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post

Cheers Yeah I've rejetted too so should get some decent gains with a less restrictive exhaust and shimming the needles a little more.

Make sure you get the jetting right when you pipe it. They come stupidly lean from the factory.

I may still have a stock advancer if you want to play with modding one.
    Yeah I've been playing with the needles a bit and raising them different amounts with washers, I should be able to get it spot on when I chuck the exhaust on I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Smifffy View Post
    I reckon paint matching the pack rack would sort out a lot of that line disruption you mention.

Sweet bike!
    Yeah, was thinking about painting her black all over! That'd sort it I reckon.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Contact Alec here, http://www.smebike.com/about_us

I think he has all the carb bits for them, his website is rubbish but he carrys good stocks. Hes in Auckland.

Bike
    Dont go anywhere near the Dan Moto shit eh its utter fucking rubbish,ive a set of cans out in the shed i bought on a whim awhile back that i was thinking of fitting to single sided system i had on my TL,paid fuck all for them thankfully as not expecting much in the way of quality even i was surprised at how shit they were.

Bike
    NC30s
    Contact Alec here, http://www.smebike.com/about_us

I think he has all the carb bits for them, his website is rubbish but he carrys good stocks. Hes in Auckland.
    I bought the jets I needed off him! Awesome prices.
    Already asked if he has the emulsion tubes though, unfortunately he doesn't carry them

Bike
    NC30s
    Quote Originally Posted by 98tls View Post
    Dont go anywhere near the Dan Moto shit eh its utter fucking rubbish,ive a set of cans out in the shed i bought on a whim awhile back that i was thinking of fitting to single sided system i had on my TL,paid fuck all for them thankfully as not expecting much in the way of quality even i was surprised at how shit they were.
    Oh that's no good. Yeah I'm not expecting them to be top notch aesthetically, really just want to free up a bit of airflow.
    Might look at some other options if they're that bad, but I haven't been able to find anything that even comes near that price!

Reckon the ones you've got could be modified to go on my Bandit?

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinz0r View Post
    Oh that's no good. Yeah I'm not expecting them to be top notch aesthetically, really just want to free up a bit of airflow.
    Might look at some other options if they're that bad, but I haven't been able to find anything that even comes near that price!

Funny you say that i was just looking at your zaust,be the same bolt on pattern for sure,great thing about Suzuki is the stuff thats interchangeable easily ie ages back i had Hayabusa 6 pots which just bolted straight up though they were shite,easy fix was to just fit K5 forks and radials...job done.The cans ive got a shortish jobbys,can take some pics if your interested,you can have them for fuck -all inclusive of post if they will fit but no guarantees on them passing a wof,there brand new still in the wrapping.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinz0r View Post

Keep an eye on TM. I just bought a Yoshi which Im going to mod to fit my Hornet for $150. It came with a link pipe that looks made for my bike. 20 mins of welding and it will be good to go. Ive decided to paint it first.

Ive heard ok things about Dan Moto pipes in the US but dont expect them to last forever.

Another thing would be to shorten and gut your can. I did that on our track Hyobag and it came out great.

Thread Information