Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wheelie advice for noob

Bike
    2013 Honda CBR 250R

Wheelie advice for noob

Hey all!

I'm looking to learn how to start doin them wheelies and was just wondering if there is any specific bike that would be best to learn on? I am looking to get a cheapo $1.5k bike, as I have no intention of crashing my Honda! Any recommendations for bikes within this price range/how would I go about getting them road legal?

Also, any advice for where to/how to best go about trying them?

Bike
    Various things
    Quote Originally Posted by Angel_of_Metal View Post
    Hey all!

I'm looking to learn how to start doin them wheelies and was just wondering if there is any specific bike that would be best to learn on? I am looking to get a cheapo $1.5k bike, possibly a scorpio or NXR for it as I have no intention of crashing my Honda! Would this be a yay or nay idea?

Also, any advice for where to/how to best go about trying them?

A dirt bike is the best way to start out. Use a mates bike too. Start out doing them uphill (much easiera). Practice by balancing on your chair on it's hind legs. (seriously). Wheelies are learnt through being able to feel balance point through the cheeks of your ass at first. WT has posted a good thread regarding wheelies. And he's good at them. Find it.

Bike
    2013 Honda CBR 250R
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasherfromwayback View Post
    A dirt bike is the best way to start out. Use a mates bike too. Start out doing them uphill (much easiera). Practice by balancing on your chair on it's hind legs. (seriously). Wheelies are learnt through being able to feel balance point through the cheeks of your ass at first. WT has posted a good thread regarding wheelies. And he's good at them. Find it.
    Cool thanks for that. Following on from get a dirt bike, I am looking to get one, but would have to be able to ride it on the road... Is there usually much that needs to be done to make them road legal?

Bike
    Various things
    Quote Originally Posted by Angel_of_Metal View Post
    Cool thanks for that. Following on from get a dirt bike, I am looking to get one, but would have to be able to ride it on the road... Is there usually much that needs to be done to make them road legal?
    My pleasure. No...there are many road legal dual purpose bikes avail in NZ...no need for modification. Get hold of me if you need any help.

Bike
    Forza 155 SE Pit Bike
    Awe shucks thanks mate.

Buy this, best of both worlds. Road legal(ish), indestructible and cheap. Perfect wheelie bike.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=611024782
    Vote David Bain for MNZ president

Bike
    a red heap
    Get a K6 GSXR thou, no need to practice on hills, and they are dual purpose (well mine was any way).

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Jimmy is shit at wheelies.

Balance point is easy to feel, it's hard to wrap your head around though because it feels like it's falling back, when in fact it's sitting pretty.

Dirt bikes are easier and harder to wheelie at the same time I think. When you get them high enough, the balance point moves as the rear suspension compresses and extends.

Two strokes don't do it as bad, but they bite harder if you aren't goos on the throttle.

Anyhoo. Stand up wheelies give the maximum control I find, but that might have something to so with the fact that sitting down on the RF, it's too bulky to be able to see where I'm goin at all. Have to hang so far off one side to see past the fairing that the bike is well unstable...Not helped by being over tyred on the rear.

But I digress. Heaps of bikes in that price range to learn on, ALWAYS use the clutch to lift the front, and when it starts to go tits up, STAB THE BACK BRAKE! I cannot stress that enough, your first reaction when it gets too high will be to take your feet off the pegs. Don't do it! Stab the back brake hard and it will come down.

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Quote Originally Posted by nodrog View Post
    Get a K6 GSXR thou, no need to practice on hills, and they are dual purpose (well mine was any way).
    I learned to wheelie on a K2 gixxer thou. K6 has a less neutral body position for it I found.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    My G/F (and me) wants to learn wheelies. Been talking about stuff like this.

http://youtu.be/7LdrbwoRFXc

Apparently a guy has a set up in Germany with the bike in a drum to do the same thing.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    The best place to start learning, is outside a hospital.
    Quote Originally Posted by James Deuce View Post
    Don't argue with the pigs, man. They'll tap your phones and steal your weed and make your old lady do things she won't do for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitcher View Post
    Sexually transmitted diseases are one thing, sexually affected carnage is something else entirely. Ladies, if his cock's that small that he's prepared to put you at risk for a root, look elsewhere. Seriously.

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    Don't try and drag the number plate, or be named Doug.

And as Drew said, the rear brake is your Jesus.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Alloy, stainless and Ti polishing.
    Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    The Black Pearl
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by blackdog View Post
    The best place to start learning, is outside a hospital.
    Yeah they have pretty big carparks, and now there are a lot that have only minimal services as 'triage centres' before choppering people to the main centres, so plenty of room.
    Keep on chooglin'

Bike
    Various things
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Dirt bikes are easier and harder to wheelie at the same time I think. When you get them high enough, the balance point moves as the rear suspension compresses and extends.
    Dirt bikes are a piece of piss to wheelie Son. You just haven't spent enough time on 'em. An RMZ450 is THE best bike ever for wheelies that I've ever ridden. A KX500 is pretty good also.

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Dirt bikes are a piece of piss to wheelie Son. You just haven't spent enough time on 'em. An RMZ450 is THE best bike ever for wheelies that I've ever ridden. A KX500 is pretty good also.
    Even my 125 picks the front up quite readily, a somewhat more abrupt power-band than other bikes makes it a bit of a handful at the tipping point though. The 450 4Ts are so much easier, would be my pick for learning. Though I'd recommend getting a 250 4T and head to the track, then you'll have the more fun challenge of keeping the front down
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Dunno if you took my meaning correctly. I can wheelie dirt bikes just fine. The 450's are so easy to hoist it's like cheating. But to get it sitting in third gear, and not getting faster actually takes more time to settle than a road bike. Because you're settling the swingarm to a further extent than a road bike.

Wheelies are one of the few things left, which I back myself as good at.

Thread Information