Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Ultrabatt lithium batteries

Bike
    Old classic thing
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony.OK View Post
    So the 3rd Gen will be cheaper than current stock for all sizes? What weight is the new equivalent of the UB200 Liam? The Motobatt in the Wr250f is apparently 2.09kg, and if they're cheaper than the $140 on your site now they will be getting close to the Motobatt prices, if a sticker on my bike makes it cheaper still, I'll cover the whole thing hahaa.

ps-thanks for the quick delivery on the Ctek charger
    The new replacement for the 200 is only a few grams lighter. The current 200 is 438 grams.

The new technology is extremely innovative.

I am not allowed to give any hints on price but they certainly won't be any more expensive. They should also last 5-10 years so cost per year will be pretty good.

I hope to be able to release pricing very shortly.
    www.FastBikeGear.co.nz
    Top brand Motorcycle accessories: R&G Racing, Titax, CTEK, Ultrabatt lithium Batteries, RockSolid, BikeVis, NGR, Oberon, Stopit, TUTORO, Posi-Lock, etc.
    Mobile: 0275 985 266 Office, 09 834 6655

Bike
    Old classic thing
    Quote Originally Posted by FastBikeGear View Post
    Stock notice.

Just to advise guys we have fewer that 30 Ultrabatt 400 and 600 batteries in stock at the moment.

We have deliberately let our stock levels fall as we will shortly be recieving the new 3rd Generation Lithium Batteries and once these are avaliable you will understandably not want to purchase the 2nd generation batteries.

Current models and pricing

Ultrabatt 200's (all sold out)
    Ultrabatt 400s, 728 grams, Built-in full four function BMS, 240 CCA, $289 (less than 30 left)
    Ultrabatt 600s, 1100 grams, Built-in full four function BMS 360 CCA, $359 (less than 20 left)

We expect this stock will run out in the next few days and there may be a gap of a couple of weeks while we wait for the new ones to arrive.
    Just and update we only have 2 of the Ultrabatt 400s left now and just the 1 Ultrabatt 600.

There is a little bit of stock with one of our industrial customers but I am not sure I can get my hands back on it if I need it. (They would probably charge me a margin!)
    www.FastBikeGear.co.nz
    Top brand Motorcycle accessories: R&G Racing, Titax, CTEK, Ultrabatt lithium Batteries, RockSolid, BikeVis, NGR, Oberon, Stopit, TUTORO, Posi-Lock, etc.

Bike
    Old classic thing
    FastBikeGear are the distributor of the Dutch Ultrabatt range of Lithium batteries in New Zealand.

We are one of the largest suppliers of automotive Lithium Battery technology in New Zealand.

The cost of this battery technology is plummeting, but Lithium batteries still cost more than lead acid batteries.

One of the key justifications for paying more for a Lithium battery is that a Lithium battery with an inbuilt BMS in it has a target life of 10 years and customers should expect them to last between five years and 10 years.

But if most people's lead acid batteries are lasting more than 5 years the cost justification is not done and dusted in favour of a lithium battery until the price drops even further.

We want your feed back. All respondents will see the results.

We have posted a poll here.

Many thanks for participating.
    www.FastBikeGear.co.nz

Bike
    89 GPX750, 06KLR650
    Hi Liam, I notice you follow this thread.

I have a question for you regarding the Ultrabatt lithium batteries. I have asked a similar question over on the Shorai thread. I am interested in if The BMS in a Ultrabatt would manage this scenario. Theoretical only at this stage as going by my experience so far I am a couple of years away from needing a new battery although the weight loss is tempting on an overweight mid sized adv bike.

As my KLR is based on a fairly old school design the output from the stator is only about 200 watts, so when I am running my lights, heated handle bar grips, GPS etc I am running very close to the maximum output of electrical system.

When a Ultrabatt Battery is charging while installed in a bike does it draw more current than a lead acid battery for charging purposes and does it fully charge or stop in an under charged state if there isn't enough wattage left to provide the current draw it would like?

Thanks

Paul
    Paul’s Adventure riding Photo’s

Latest photo's

Paved Roads are just another example of Wasted Taxpayer Dollars

Bike
    Old classic thing
    Quote Originally Posted by Howie View Post
    Hi Liam, I notice you follow this thread.

I have a question for you regarding the Ultrabatt lithium batteries. I have asked a similar question over on the Shorai thread. I am interested in if The BMS in a Ultrabatt would manage this scenario. Theoretical only at this stage as going by my experience so far I am a couple of years away from needing a new battery although the weight loss is tempting on an overweight mid sized adv bike.

As my KLR is based on a fairly old school design the output from the stator is only about 200 watts, so when I am running my lights, heated handle bar grips, GPS etc I am running very close to the maximum output of electrical system.

When a Ultrabatt Battery is charging while installed in a bike does it draw more current than a lead acid battery for charging purposes and does it fully charge or stop in an under charged state if there isn't enough wattage left to provide the current draw it would like?

Thanks

Paul
    Paul can you give me a call tomorrow, so I can talk through that with you.

My numbers are below.
    www.FastBikeGear.co.nz

Bike
    89 GPX750, 06KLR650
    Yep I'll give you a call at some stage, although probably Thursday as I am expecting to have one of those crazy busy days at work tomorrow.
    Paul’s Adventure riding Photo’s

Latest photo's

Paved Roads are just another example of Wasted Taxpayer Dollars

Bike
    Old classic thing
    Announcements on the new batteries begin to be released in the next few days via Ultrabatts facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/Ultrabatt

I am currently assisting with writing the new manual for Ultrabatt. (I do some technical writing for several of our manufactures).

I can leak a couple of details from this, but we are keeping the best news until the official release! Everyone loves a surprise.

There has been a lot of talk on another thread about Ultrabatt voiding the warranty on Ultrabatt's 2nd generation Lithium batteries if you use any charger other than the charging system on your bike or Ultrabatt's mains powered charger and this remains the case for the existing batteries as we wish to ensure you get the maximum life from them (5-10 years).

You could actually charge the current batteries with any lead acid charger you liked (as long as it didn't have a desulphation stage like our CTEK smart lead acid battery tenders do ). However we wanted to ensure that the charging process never shortened the life of your battery. An incorrect charge in the 1st year of ownership could cause you to only get 8 years life out of a battery that would might otherwise have lasted 10 years, and you would never get any warning of this as the battery would appear to still be working perfectly for a few years.

The new technology Lithium cells and the latest generation inbuilt BMS in the 3rd generation batteries makes it possible for you to use any lead/acid chargers that meeta Ultrabatts guidelines.

The new batteries again have a longer service life (5-10 years )than a Lithium battery without a BMS (1-5 years?).

I can also confirm that the cells in the new battery are again also interconnected with Ultrabatt's unique laser welding process (not screws or soft solder like other brands). This ensures the cells in the new batteries will also never physically disconnect from each other ...as was achieved with the previous batteries....never had a case of this anywhere in the world.

The batteries will again be supplied with Ultrabatt battery straps to assist you in securing the Ultrabatt within your battery box.

1 st generation Lithium batteries (a bunch of cells stuck together with wires and put in a plastic case, no protection circuits and no BMS - Shorai, Ballistic)

2nd generation Lithium batteries (a bunch of cells, some internal protection and a sophisticated Microprocessor controlled BMS to maximise cell life - Ultrabatt and a couple of others)

3rd generation Lithium batteries (Latest generation Lithium cells, some internal protection and Ultrabatt's lastest generation Microprocessor controlled BMS to maximise cell life - Ultrabatt and more to follow)
    Last edited by FastBikeGear; 4th September 2013 at 09:55.
    www.FastBikeGear.co.nz

Bike
    suzuki
    1 st generation Lithium batteries (a bunch of cells stuck together with wires and put in a plastic case, no protection circuits and no BMS - Shorai, Ballistic)

2nd generation Lithium batteries (a bunch of cells, some internal protection and a sophisticated Microprocessor controlled BMS to maximise cell life - Ultrabatt and a couple of others)

3rd generation Lithium batteries (Latest generation Lithium cells, some internal protection and Ultrabatt's lastest generation Microprocessor controlled BMS to maximise cell life - Ultrabatt and more to follow)
    you've gone to the trouble to note particular bands in the first generation section, why haven't you taken the trouble to do the same in the second and third generation????

Bike
    Old classic thing
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    you've gone to the trouble to note particular bands in the first generation section, why haven't you taken the trouble to do the same in the second and third generation????
    Ultrabatt were the first in the world to release 2nd generation Lithium batteries for motorcycle use. I only know of a couple of other 2nd generation Lithium batteries designed for motorbikes (My understanding is they are good products, made by good companies, but it is not my job to promote them)

There are no other 3rd generation batteries yet made by any other companies (Ultrabatt expects that once we release them that they will again be followed in due course).
    Last edited by FastBikeGear; 4th September 2013 at 17:19.
    www.FastBikeGear.co.nz

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    (My understanding is they are good products, made by good companies, but it is not my job to promote them)
    But it is your job to talk down others?

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    It's the job of anyone in marketing or sales to point out where their product has better attributes than the competition I would have thought.
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    It's the job of anyone in marketing or sales to point out where their product has better attributes than the competition I would have thought.
    I don't disagree. But given the other thread, it looks like a dig to me. I have no doubt Liam will deny that of course, he needn't waste his breath.

Bike
    suzuki
    that was the point of my post thanks Drewpy

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    I don't disagree. But given the other thread, it looks like a dig to me. I have no doubt Liam will deny that of course, he needn't waste his breath.
    Given the other thread, I for one would prefer this stays about the actual batteries rather than descending into a 'he said, she said' situation where everybody looks like an ass and nobody figures out which battery is best for their sidechair. So that is all I shall say on the matter.

I'm quite keen to hear about the differences between 2nd and 3rd gen batts tbh, I mean there has to be something else interesting coming because with current info the 3rd gen sounds a lot like gen 2.1
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Given the other thread, I for one would prefer this stays about the actual batteries rather than descending into a 'he said, she said' situation where everybody looks like an ass and nobody figures out which battery is best for their sidechair. So that is all I shall say on the matter.
    Fair enough. Quite hypocritical on my part.

I'm quite keen to hear about the differences between 2nd and 3rd gen batts tbh, I mean there has to be something else interesting coming because with current info the 3rd gen sounds a lot like gen 2.1
    Some of the hints Liam has offered, are quite intriguing. If I read between the lines correctly, it really is so simple and brilliant that it begs how no one has done it before.

Begs further though to it's logical end, is it necessary?

If I try and explain why, I will have to explain what I think he meant. If I'm right, that's kinda his present to open.

Thread Information