Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021

Thread: Wtf is wrong with my GN250?

Bike
    1985 Suzuki GN250
    Quote Originally Posted by bosslady View Post
    So I got a new spark plug $8 later and before I put that in I took off the seat, tank, valve inspection cap and magneto cover but I didn't know wtf a timing inspection plug was, flatty figured it out.
    Hi, I'm having a similar issue and can't figure out what the inspection plug is. Can you describe it for me? Is it the big black plastic circle?

Also where is the magneto cover? From the (shitty) manual it looks like its probably the round thing down the bottom on the left of the engine that looks like it needs a giant screwdriver to undo.

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Quote Originally Posted by jamie.a.small View Post
    Hi, I'm having a similar issue and can't figure out what the inspection plug is. Can you describe it for me? Is it the big black plastic circle?

Also where is the magneto cover? From the (shitty) manual it looks like its probably the round thing down the bottom on the left of the engine that looks like it needs a giant screwdriver to undo.
    There are two caps on the left hand side aren't there. One in the center and one toward the top. The center one allows access to the nut on the end of the crank, to turn the motor. The other one should expose the timing mark.

The black plastic thing at the top, I imagine is you cam end cover. Part of the rocker cover gasket. Don't go attacking that to get it out.

The inspection caps I can't picture on a GN for some reason. I thought they were a 17mm bolt head, on a round cap that screws in of about 40-50mm. But I'm not sure now.

Anyhoo, this is all academic, because it sounds to me like you might wanna have someone there who knows what they're doing when you work on it.

Bike
    Honda VF750f.
    Some of them have 2 10mm bolts holding the valve inspection caps on, like those here....http://www.aliexpress.com/item/SUZUK...923205441.html
    For a man is a slave to whatever has mastered him. Keep an open mind, just dont let your brains fall out.

Bike
    1985 Suzuki GN250
    Quote Originally Posted by investinwaffles View Post
    OK - new update but no progress
    So I sourced a confirmed good CDI from a seller in the UK.

I hooked everything up and triple checked my wiring before test firing it with a brand new spark plug, outside of the motor but grounded to the frame.
    I got spark consistently!! Which is great and exactly what im looking for. I cranked it several different times and each time I got a good strong blue spark.

Then, I turned the key off and put the gas tank back on, and hooked everything back up (including the coil to the plug that was already in the motor). Opened the petcock and filled the carb bowl (was sitting for a week so I assume it evaporated).

Turned the key but it still sounded like it was getting no spark, and obviously wasnt firing. So I pulled the plug boot off, and hooked up the new plug (grounded to the frame again), but got NO spark again!

This is so fucking frustrating

Also, the multimeter test procedure listed in the manual (Section 5-2) is NOT working for me, with either CDI.
    It specifies to put the multimeter on the CDI in various configs with the + and - terminals of the multimeter on 1K ohms. My multimeter only has increments of 2xK ohms but it doesnt register on any setting with the unit unplugged - I tested the new unit before I tried to crank it and it was the same thing.

Any advice?
    Did you ever manage to get this sorted? Having the same problem!

Bike
    The Black Pearl
    Blog Entries
    Gotta love a good Bosslady thread resurrection...
    Keep on chooglin'

Thread Information