Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Wtf is wrong with my GN250?

Bike
    Nothing :(
    Blog Entries

Wtf is wrong with my GN250?

Apart from the fact it's a gn250? It's fucking me right off because I know something is just not right but I can't think what it is.

Almost every time I start my gn it has trouble starting and the exhaust sounds like a cat trying to cough up a fur ball. This happens on sunny days (such as today) cold days, choke in or out, doesn't matter. Occasionally in the past, since I got it, it has had problems but not almost literally EVERY time even if I've just ridden it and it should be warm.

I always warm up my bike before I ride it if it's the first ride of the day and this has never happened before but I turn it on and after 30 seconds it stalls, turn on again, same thing. It did it twice in the weekend and once today. I think the idle speed is meant to be 1200 or 1300 but I have to have it at 1500 or slightly higher cause it will stall.

And sometimes when I am sitting at the lights, it just stalls, I would normally be in 1st and have to pull the clutch in ALL the way (which is another thing that doesn't seem right imo). When riding, stopping, starting, going, anything! the bike just seems like it's sick! Thoughts?
    Becoming fearless isn't the point. That's impossible. It's learning how to control your fear, and how to be free from it.

Bike
    The Black Pearl
    Blog Entries
    First thought is that it's most likely the nut behind the handlebars.

Seems like you first mentioned stalling after you got your WoF?

Most likely things will be air,fuel,spark.

Check/clean/replace air filter & spark plug. Dirty/contaminated/old fuel? Getting plenty o spark?

Keep on chooglin'

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Could be many many things.

Filter and plug, clean the carb.

It's a GN, there really isn't anything else non terminal that can go wrong with it.

Ride it down to Taupo, and give Katman a blowie to sort it out.

Bike
    M109R, GS1200ss, RMX450Z, ZX-12R
    exhaust valve clearances are too tight

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Smifffy View Post
    First thought is that it's most likely the nut behind the handlebars.

Seems like you first mentioned stalling after you got your WoF?

Most likely things will be air,fuel,spark.

Check/clean/replace air filter & spark plug. Dirty/contaminated/old fuel? Getting plenty o spark?

No, not related to the WOF It's got a brand spanking new and oiled air filter so shouldn't be that (which I thought it was) I cleaned the fuel strainer maybe a month ago but maybe I could try that again. I'll look up spark plug in the manual. I think it's got plenty of spark? should I check the battery?
    Becoming fearless isn't the point. That's impossible. It's learning how to control your fear, and how to be free from it.

Bike
    Honda VF750f.
    Tune up time.
    For a man is a slave to whatever has mastered him. Keep an open mind, just dont let your brains fall out.

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Quote Originally Posted by bosslady View Post
    No, not related to the WOF It's got a brand spanking new and oiled air filter so shouldn't be that (which I thought it was) I cleaned the fuel strainer maybe a month ago but maybe I could try that again. I'll look up spark plug in the manual. I think it's got plenty of spark? should I check the battery?
    If it doesn't konk out on the motorway, I would bet it isn't starving for fuel at idle.

That valve clearance idea would present as you describe, but would be worse or better when cold. Not consistent.

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Quote Originally Posted by unstuck View Post
    Tune up time.
    Yip, tune it up with a DRZ400 motor.

Bike
    TF125
    Definitely the rear brake. Adjust it up a little to remove the free-play.

You're welcome

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Could be many many things.

Filter and plug, clean the carb.

It's a GN, there really isn't anything else non terminal that can go wrong with it.

Ride it down to Taupo, and give Katman a blowie to sort it out.
    I don't think his wife would approve somehow. Which plug are you talking about? carb hmm.. *gets out the manual*
    Quote Originally Posted by T.W.R View Post
    exhaust valve clearances are too tight
    it says you need a tappet adjust driver? don't have one and I don't think we have the right thickness gauge for what it says in the manual.

Bike
    2017 Suzuki Dl1000
    My first thought was low compression. This could be caused by valve clearances too tight, leaking head gasket, stuck rings, worn rings, worn cyclinder, etc.

I would check the valve clearances first. If they are OK then carry out a cold compression test. Then squirt a touch of oild down the plug hole and carry out the compression test once again. If there is a difference then the trouble is likely to be rings.
    Time to ride

Bike
    Blog Entries
    If it doesn't konk out on the motorway, I would bet it isn't starving for fuel at idle.

That valve clearance idea would present as you describe, but would be worse or better when cold. Not consistent.
    That would make sense re not starving for fuel. She's fine when she's going just not when I slow down. Fuck.

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Quote Originally Posted by bosslady View Post
    I don't think his wife would approve somehow. Which plug are you talking about? carb hmm.. *gets out the manual*
    it says you need a tappet adjust driver? don't have one and I don't think we have the right thickness gauge for what it says in the manual.
    Feeler gauges are good like that. You add two together to get the spot on thickness.

The tappet driver is replaced by a very small spanner, or cresent.

Spark plug by the way.

Bike
    Honda VF750f.
    Yip, tune it up with a DRZ400 motor.
    Now that would be the shizzle, had another play on one in the forest. I do like em.
    For a man is a slave to whatever has mastered him. Keep an open mind, just dont let your brains fall out.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jantar View Post
    My first thought was low compression. This could be caused by valve clearances too tight, leaking head gasket, stuck rings, worn rings, worn cyclinder, etc.

I would check the valve clearances first. If they are OK then carry out a cold compression test. Then squirt a touch of oild down the plug hole and carry out the compression test once again. If there is a difference then the trouble is likely to be rings.
    Sounds like I need to take it to a proper bike mechanic cause my flatty sure as hell ain't gonna help me with this one esp if we don't have whatever the fuck a tappet adjust driver is or the right gauge.

Thread Information